IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

sl-92640.jpg

this is crazy good. cold, chilling and menacing experimental music by "children from primary schools. boys and girls from eight, nine, ten and eleven years old" says the stern principal type (who i imagine looks a little like alfred hitch). made betwix the years 1959-1977 it also runs the gamut of a wide spectrum of genres all hands firmly pointing towards meta-weird.

will be tough to beat for my pick of compilation of the year

Clutchy Hopkins - The Life of Clutchy Hopkins - 8/10

Drexciya - Grava 4 - 8/10

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica (re-listen) - 7/10

Oneohtrix Point Never - r Plus 7 (re-listen) - 9/10

Tim Hecker - Virgins - 9/10

R-18130-1249299204.jpeg

They're nominally remixes of Wolfgang Voigt's Studio 1 series (already bare-bones minimal to begin with) that sound like Maurizio meets Andy Stott at DJ Screw's uptown. Some wacked out crunk technos shiet, 1997 ffs.

R-198788-1302464310.jpeg

Soundmurderer + SK-1* - Rewind Records

Motherfucking badazz jungle here, the breakage is off the charts. Made by these dudes.

Damn, you shoulda mentioned the name of the Studio 1 remixes, your pictogram's broken.

R-18130-1249299204.jpeg

They're nominally remixes of Wolfgang Voigt's Studio 1 series (already bare-bones minimal to begin with) that sound like Maurizio meets Andy Stott at DJ Screw's uptown. Some wacked out crunk technos shiet, 1997 ffs.

R-198788-1302464310.jpeg

Motherfucking badazz jungle here, the breakage is off the charts. Made by these dudes.

Damn, you shoulda mentioned the name of the Studio 1 remixes, your pictogram's broken.

Assuming that's the Discogs release number in the JPG, it should be this: Thomas Brinkmann ‎- Studio 1 - Variationen

a0786682705_2.jpg

mitch murder killing it (again). this is a tiny ep three (3) tracks of corporate electro funk from an 80s late-night television network (melody of science takes this idea to the next level with a carl sagan commentary). the whole thing sounds like something from 'the running man' where arnie breaks into maria conchita alonso's apartment and is watching that workout cable channel (just funkier)

Edited by Nebraska

R-18130-1249299204.jpeg

R-198788-1302464310.jpeg

Assuming that's the Discogs release number in the JPG, it should be this: Thomas Brinkmann ‎- Studio 1 - Variationen

Ooh yeah cheers honey.

This month:

Clown Alley - Circus of Chaos

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Hair Stylistics - Monthly Hair Stylistics Mystery Disc

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Melvins - Bullhead

Queen Adreena - Drink Me (4 tracks from it)

Stunt Rock - What's this life for?

VA - Dry Lungs III

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett

Venetian Snares - 7 Sevens.med

This has been.. the past two weeks.. roughly.

Studio 1 - Grun 8/10

Deepchord - Sommer 9/10

Autechre - Cichlisuite 10/10

Autechre - EP7 10/10

Monolake - Cinimascope 9/10

Monolake - Hong Kong remasterd 10/10

Jon Hopkins - Immunity 8/10

Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus 7.5/10

Gescom - A1-D1 8.5/10

Gescom - C&D 9/10

Gescom - ISS:SA - 10/10

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven 7/10

Dr Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst 9.5/10

Autechre - L-event 9/10

Vladislav Delay - Multila !??!1/10

Monolake - Gobi. The Desert EP 8/10

Bola - Mauver 8/10

Pedestrian - Kalakuta / Ndizi 8/10

Basic Channel - phylyps trak 7/10

Jega - Spectrum 9/10

Tycho - Past is Prolouge 7/10

Gas - Zauberberg 10/10

Sun Araw - Heavy Deeds - 8.5/10

Jega - Spectrum 9/10

I've been listening to this in the car. It's great driving music. I still haven't absorbed it all the way, but I get into it more with every listen. Geometry will always be my favorite.

I also really love the Phlax EP. Some amazing tracks on there, especially Bluette.

dj rashad's 'double cup'. interesting to see people finding pretty fresh take on how to use familiar machines from the past. rashad goes for a brisk, bold, contrasting, stammering, stop-start form that uses rapid phasing to left and right, the odd vocal sample to make for what layers into quite a strange effect. mind you, i'm not sure that beyond the slight novelly in it's take of things that it makes sense as a music to sit down and listen to. it's a dancing kind of thing, more than any other form of electronic music i've heard, apart from extremely commercial chart stuff.

the early part of this video shows how this music best comes to life >

Space Dimension Controller - Welcome to Mikrosektor-50 - 7/10

Tokimonsta - Half Shadows - 6.5/10

oOoOO - Without your love - 7/10

Atom TM - HD - 9/10

John Beltran - Amazing THings - 8/10

Boardwalk - Boardwalk - 7/10

Jega - Spectrum 9/10

I've been listening to this in the car. It's great driving music. I still haven't absorbed it all the way, but I get into it more with every listen. Geometry will always be my favorite.

I also really love the Phlax EP. Some amazing tracks on there, especially Bluette.

Hmm I haven't yet delved deep into the realm of Jega. I went with his first album and so listened to Spectrum, that being second release I've listened to by him, the first being Card Hore which is a great, great EP. I've read good reviews of Geometry on Discogs, the album artwork reminds me of the cover of Monolake's Momentum.

signer - low light dreams 9/10

gas - gas 10/10

bong - ra ‎ - monolith 1/10

remarc - help me 10/10

modeselektor - hello mum! 8/10

actress - wee bey 10/10

cabaret voltaire - methodology '74/'78: the attic tapes 8/10

fff ‎- 20.000 hardcore members can't be wrong 6/10

ekoplekz - intrusive incidentalz vol 2 8/10

quinoline yellow - colour index 47005 8/10

roy porter - life cycle of a massive star 7/10

huerco s. - colonial patterns 6/10

tim hecker - virgins 10/10

béla bartók / györgy sándor ‎- solo piano works 10/10

autechre - l-event 8/10

pauchi sasaki - yuyu 7/10

the stranger - watching dead empires in decay 8/10

moritz von oswald & nils petter molvær - 1/1 7/10

Edited by Redruth

Autechre - L-event 8/10 (for M39 Diffain alone)

Autechre -

Brian Parnham - Mantle 7.5/10

Steve Roach commissioned him in 2007 and well his site says this: "The result presents an adroit sound artist coming into full form within this shadowed sonic wonderland drawn from the Earth's inner realms". Makes me think of Deathprod and similar darkness.

Ricardo Donoso - As Iron Sharpens Iron 8.5/10

Has that arp sound from some of the new Boc and nods its head to Larry Heard and Subway.

Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain 9/10

Oddly discordant and obtuse at times. I hear Autechre in Thrax.

• 2 weeks later...

I take back what I said about EOD - Vol. 1. It's been in my car for a few months now and I enjoy it more every time I hear it. I guess it was a grower.

one way to rate an album is how many tracks you honestly enjoy without trying. if there are 10 amazing tracks on an album, it could get a 10/10.

on that scale:

Tim Hecker - Virgins 4/10

You know, the album really clicked with me last week on the roof of a parking garage. While some of my original complaints about predictable minor tonality still stand, I just want to forgive it somehow. 8/10

mike comte - midi forever 8/10

transient waves - sonic narcotic 8/10

the sight below - no place for us 9/10

kid spatula - full sunken breaks 10/10

bochum welt - good programs (to be coloured in yellow) 9/10

actress - hazyville 10/10

kid 606 - résilience 6/10

loscil - submers 10/10

nanospeed - kopernikus ep 10/10

kreidler - resport 8/10

51MYp3PmPzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

the crying princess - 78rpm records from burma: music from burma spanning the years 1909-1960 and sounding incredibly vintage and field recorded with lots of hiss (to be expected). it's compiled by a guy who also spent a couple of months recording grasshoppers making noise before a mating ritual.

as far as the music is concerned: when caretaker runs out of ballroom music to loop, someone hype his ass to this stuff as 80% of the job is already done for him. all he has to do is add gloomy titles and refuse to shilling the stuff on itunes and he's back in business

4524738.jpg

scattered melodies: korean kayagum sanjo from 78rpm records: i like this one a little more than the above although- seriously, this is ancient shit. most of these sanjo "songs" sound like someone trying to find a rhythm or tune (actually it says on the back it's improvised) as they pluck away a bouncing, choppy twang on a traditional zither-like instrument. it has a rather haunting quality because of how relentless it is: almost like the musician just isn't going to give up until they find the right tune and the recording is this torture device that keeps them plucking along.

after a while i get the feeling these guys aren't trying to get a tune going but rather create an atmosphere and illuminate it with this constant stream of melody in the background.

i don't think caretaker will want to touch this one

Death Grips - Government Plates - 7.5/10 - Has some really strong tracks (some of the best I've heard from the project), but falls apart as it goes on. Runtime isn't too lengthy, however, so although it does get progressively weaker, it doesn't drag on for too long.

El-P - Fantastic Damage - 7/10

Kevin Greenspon/Former Selves - Betrayed by the Angels/Apropos of Golden Dreams - 8/10 - Fantastic ambient split LP - Kevin is a great dude, and he uses some super interesting techniques live. Truth and Falling is the track I would recommend you check out if you look into this at all.

Nujabes - Modal Soul - 8/10 - Ah.....