IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

sl-92640.jpg

this is crazy good. cold, chilling and menacing experimental music by "children from primary schools. boys and girls from eight, nine, ten and eleven years old" says the stern principal type (who i imagine looks a little like alfred hitch). made betwix the years 1959-1977 it also runs the gamut of a wide spectrum of genres all hands firmly pointing towards meta-weird.

will be tough to beat for my pick of compilation of the year

where did you found it? I also want to hear it

some albums i listened 2 recently that i liked

tits/10 to all

kangding ray - pruitt igoe

kendrick lamar - section 80

xanopticon - the silver key

xanopticon - psychicite

james blake - klavierwerke

james blake - the bells sketch

behemoth - the satanist

a$ap ferg - traplord

autechre - exai/l'event

V/A - friendly integration v2

alva noto - univrs

richard devine - risp ep

wen - commotion

madlib - beat conducta vol. 5/6

tim hecker - virgins

untold - gonna work out fine

logos - cold mission

vladislav delay - kuopio

49849.jpg

the eccentronic research council: magpie billy & the egg that yolked (a study of the northern ape in love): well, where do i start? this is an odd duck. it's kinda noisy and shaky electronic music narrated by maxine peake (whose voice is quite lovely) about a motorcycle bum "with the demure of a silent and deadly assassin". everything after that just goes to pot and gets very random. it's definitely one of those albums where you have to listen to everything being said otherwise you're missing out on a big portion of 'the good stuff'. gorgeous electronics though

JaO7Uuj.jpg

the eccentronic research council: the dreamcatcher tapes vol.1: now this i'm REALLY digging. an actress (maxine peake), a film director, a boy, a scientist, a writer, an art curator, a child quiz champion, a poet and an electronic musician narrate their dreams all backdropped by eccentronic research council electrics (except for side 2 of the vinyl that has pye corner audio. this project is influenced by delia derbyshire's 'the dreams' suite, and yes. it's head-damagingly good

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i bought a ton of new records and been playing the shit out of them, i'm in love with all of them right now

oberman knocks - dliankex

the bug - london zoo

wen - signals

kany west - my dark twisted fantasies

untold - black light spiral

animal collective - merriweather post pavilion

danny brown - old

friendly integration v 2 - various

I've been listening to these ones a lot this week:

madlib - rock konducta 1

arawak - accadde a

alain goraguer - fantastic planet

andre georget - la france interdite

arthur russell - world of echo

gescom - skull snap

The aphex twin - classics

been fairly obsessed with this album lately:

FOULEST SEMEN OF A SHELTERED ELITE is such a legit album title and it's just SO good.

Did you find this through my recomandation? Told you it was awesome ;) and its just 1 dude who makes everything!

Fuarrk mate I love this!! Thanks for sharing.

This is sick, listening now :D

Meat Beat Manifesto- Satyricon and Original Fire

somehow found these two on two consecutive Fridays in the same record store. Have to say I never really heard Meat Beat before but these albums are incredible, I give both an 8. Dunno how I managed to come across them... sounds a bit like the Orb but more edgy imo, with some really great samples.

Edited by willochill

Liars - Mess ??/10 (initial listens have left me cold, but that's par for the course with Liars)

Liars - WIXIW 9/10 (my new favorite Liars album, don't know why I slept on this a couple years ago)

Liars - Liars 6/10 (this album will never click for me)

Ekoplekz - Unfidelity 8/10 (i knew nothing about Ekoplekz beforehand, but this is so tuff)

Ruff Sqwad - White Label Classics 9/10 (Cheap sounding Grime trunk rattlers, love it)

Donato Dozzy & Nuel - Aquaplano Sessions (pretty sure this is going to be a big one for me in coming months)

Swans - The Seer (finally giving this the time it deserves)

Edited by doublename

Avey Tare - Down There - 10/10 - What the fuck this is amazing. Production is cohesive and fantastic - murky and twisted but with enough solid electronics grounding it and keeping everything organized - demented sample-warping and synthesizers + phenomenal songwriting. Completely overlooked this before. The AnCo guys can pull together such awesome stuff, separately and jointly. Wonder what went wrong with Chz...

Liars - Mess - 8/10 - This thing is so much goddamn fun. Tons of great sounds.

Robert Glasper - Black Radio 2 - Not as enjoyable as I'd hoped. Very R'n'B'ified

Thundercat - Apocalypse - Great stuff, something you just won't find from anyone else... cool brah!

Muziq - Chewed Corners - Regretting I got this on CD and not vinyl. Good stuff.

at home

gza - liquid swords

millie & andrea -drop the vowels

in car

various- music for shut ins

madlib/freddie gibbs - piñata

Still working over the Ekoplekz album. I've been try to listened to fewer albums, but spend more time with each one. This record really rewards the extra time spent. Sooner or later I'll try to get back into Drop the Vowels.

Edited by doublename

Squarepusher x Z-Machines - Music for Robots: Listened to it about 10 times in a row. It's so short and not very challenging. I enjoyed it, though. I would have hoped for something less guitar-based and more insane and electronic. I feel like he had the opportunity to show "the mainstream" (since he's getting mainstream coverage) why he's The Fucking Daddy, but opted to give us another dose of Just a Souvenir. Which is fine.

Dutch E Germ - IN.RAK.DUST: Pretty good record. I've only listened to it twice. The only track that stands out to me so far is Nine.

Ekoplekz - Unfidelity: Another grower. It has the potential to be one my favorites this year, but so far I just like it.

Beck - Morning Phase: As the sequel to Sea Change, which I've never really liked, it certainly carries the torch. It's just inoffensive music that doesn't make an impression, good or bad. Wave is a good one, though. Upon the second full listen, I just played that track over and over and turned it off afterward. I have higher hopes for the next album he is currently working on.