IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Dunno if this has been done or if it will work. Same thing as the film thread, except with albums.

Rule: You must've listened through the whole album recently. Don't talk about some album you had heard a year ago, or an album where you've heard a couple of tracks out of from some playlist or whilst shuffling your library.

Also, it'd be nice if you gave us some sort of idea what the genre is, or what it sounds like.

Anyways, here goes.

Oval's Wohnton (1992): 7/10

It's essentially Oval's later glitch sound mixed with Trip-Hop and a German vocalist. As a result, it's a lot more accessible than Oval's other work. I'll have to give it another listen through.

all from 2012

chriss moss acid - bay of cadiz 7/10 - i find it funny that chriss moss and eod released way better eps than ceephax and d'arcangelo on 030303

coyote clean up - double doom 7/10 - chillwave turned house, in a good way

pil - this is pil 7/10 - tasteful comeback, more metal box-y than later stadium rock-y

black bombaim - titans 6/10 - psyched out jam rock. decent stuff.

The Gasman - Hiiding Place. Experimental/Modern Classical i guess. I'm a big fan of all his work. This is a great, piano driven album. 8/10

Clark - Iradelphic. Genre: Bibio Enjoyable enough but lack s a bit of direction to my ears, Fist couple of listens it appealed to me, but I haven't felt the need to re-visit the album since, Disappointing 5.5/10

Squarepusher - Ufabulum. Another album that appealed to me on first couple of llstens. I don't think there' s much here to keep me coming back. 6.5/10 (I gave this way too much praise initially)

The Caretaker - Patience (After Sebald), The Caretaker is my crack-cocaine, musically speaking, at the minute. I love this album and almost all the other caretaker albums. I am yet to buy any of his stuff released as Leyland Kirby - but I'm going to. 9.1/10

Guest rubberman

albums i heard over the weekend (not rating them though)

drexciya | neptune's lair: classic detroit techno album. an overlong monster full of aqua funk and shimmery synths. discovered this p recently, still need to dive more into it

laurel halo | quarantine: makes me fucking yawn. the vocals aint as awful as some people say, but this isnt quite it for me.

yellow swans | psychic secession: a bit cold for my taste, i love going places more

otis redding | in person at the whisky a go go: probably otis at his fucking best; 'satisfaction' has to be heard in order to be believed

light asylum | light asylum: incredible synthy album. it oscillates wildly between almost punky agression and gentle shiny ballads. one of my favorites records of the year so far

heard a few more other records too

3653822.jpg

Collab between Praveen & Benoît & Machinedrum.

I can appreciate the footwork, but I think Machinedrum shines more when he's on his Hip Hop tip. The songs are bit too long and sometimes kind of generic, nowhere near bad though.

Black Dice - Mr. Impossible

I haven't been so drawn in by a BD album since Beaches & Canyons. This is groovy in a way groove can only be brought by an act like BD.

Guest zaphod

guided by voices - alien lanes

been driving around listening to this for the last week. great summer music. probably a 9.5/10

Yes indeed we do have this thread: Now playing thread (album edition)

I like your suggestion to add actual thoughts on the albums though.

I think we should keep this one seperate because the now playing threads are a pain to scroll through with their album art & YT embeds. Anyways

Tom Waits - Real Gone. Revisiting this one lately. I kinda notice a hip hop influence on a lot of it

Braids - Native Speaker. Pretty solid. Hope to see this band live some day because they're relatively close to my area.

may be the best thing I've heard so far this year. those friggin background vocal melodies man

Wahrk - http://wahrk.com/album/winter-on-ganymede . Tight production as expected

Guest nowyouknow

everybody knows these albums here but i didn't:

venetian snares doll doll doll

my first VS album, fuckin love that shit but i didnt expect such extreme music. 9/10

u-ziq tango n... (2CD)

first album by him too. cheezy but as long as great. great melodies, it's just so idm. 8/10

arovane tides

humble & beautiful. 8/10

autechre quaristice

their worst. good album. 7/10.

boards of canada twoism

i prefer hi scores, good stuff tho, especially the 2nd track.

I am yet to buy any of his stuff released as Leyland Kirby - but I'm going to. 9.1/10

Love the album you mentioned, definitely recommend "Sadly the future is no longer what it was" and "Eager to tear apart the stars".

boards of canada twoism

i prefer hi scores, good stuff tho, especially the 2nd track.

That's my exact opinion.

Picky Picnic - Picnic Land! (Experimental, Zolo, Dada) I was absolutely in love with a song from this album, but sadly the rest of it isn't very good. It's all very experimental, but done in a shit way. There's one track where a guy is making a gargling sound all of the way through it while a shitty synth is played.

3/10 - Here's the song I liked

Edited by Murveman

pil - this is pil 7/10 - tasteful comeback, more metal box-y than later stadium rock-y

Mmmm yes I wanna check this out soon, more out of curiosity, but I like me some pil.

And I listened to Arcade Fires Funeral album from beginning to end yesterday (first time for a couple of years) A classic album but I think the mix or production is a bit muddy at time, some tracks its hard to hear the vocals, nevermind that a 9/10

Edited by beerwolf

Haven't listened to my external in a longtime, going back through here's a few things I've been enjoying.

Homelife - Forkbeard Fantasy's Frankenstein : Just a fun album to listen to the samples are all well done and the music is superb.

Ildjarn - Forest Poetry : For fan's of black metal I implore you to listen to this if you haven't before. Pure no gimmick fucking black metal.

Dire Wolves - Jam's and the Giant Peach : Don't let the name fool you.

Autechre - Untilted Soundboard Recording : :music:

Photodementia - fig. 03 : Someone provide me with some stuff in the vein of mysophilia. Maybe my favorite release of this year by far it's in constant rotation.

Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer: 7.5/10

Nice pop songs. Eleanor's voice is beautiful as usual.

Matthew Friedberger - Good-bye Forever: 5/10

The piano works in the beginning are fantastic. I can't tell if he's programming sections or playing it himself though. The synth works at the end however, are pretty weak compared to other things he has done with a synth. Some beats would have probably helped. I subscribed to his 8-LP series and I'd say either this or the Organ one are the weakest of the 8 (for those who have any idea what I'm talking about).

DJ Rainbow Ejaculation - LP: 10/10

I've listened to this album far too many times in the past 2 years. Extremely happy homo-erotic breakcore. The sample switches every 4 to 8 beats so it keeps it interesting.

Merzbow - Merzbeat: 9/10

It's Merzbow, but it has beats. One of my all-time favorite albums. Only one shitty track, and it's the shortest one.

Radar Bros. - Illustrated Garden: 6/10

Quarry is a fantastic song. The rest of the album is mediocre. I think their genre is called "Slow-Core". I saw them open for Modest Mouse once.

The Alps - III: 7.5/10

Nice psychedelic music, minus the nasty saxophone drone on one track.

I think this thread is going to end up being made up of my posts.

Guest zaphod

japandroids - celebration rock

makes me want to smoke crystal meth and drive my car onto the stage of a bruce springsteen concert. 10/10

Magical, Beautiful - Here Come The Wild Waves. One of my favourites of last year, covers a few genres/styles[Electronic, Prog, Dub, Psychedelic, Eno, Krautrock]. 8 or 9/10.

Pink Floyd - Animals. Might be my favourite Floyd album. 9/10.

KiloWatts - Acceptitude. Brilliant, complex and enjoyable bit of Electronica. 9/10.

BOC - Twoism. Classic but you know that already

High on Fire - New album. Classic and you many not know that.

Bowie - Scary Monsters. Classic and you should but may not know that.

All above albums I'll just give 10 out of 10, no need to knock off a point here and there as the sun is shining and I am in a 10/10 mood :cool:

Edited by beerwolf

Guest CraniumXII

Grimes' Visions: Bit of a train crash really... 3.5/10

Squarepusher's Ufabulum: Quite a large bias here, so my personal score is 9/10, but being a strict critic 7.5/10... Some mixing issues and a couple of lack luster tracks.

Animals as Leaders' Weightless: Fantastic... Tosin is one of my new guitar heroes. 9/10

Buckethead's The Dragons of Eden: A bit old, but my first time listening through... Lots of funk and just a fun album, really 8.5/10

In the past few weeks. I aint ratin!

Actress - R.I.P: I only heard this CD about 2 times and don't know the tracks by name yet. Kind of reminded me of a cross between Autechre, Plastikman, Ambient, with some soul. Not that I'm calling those comparisons souless, but I'm sure most here would disagree anyway. I like it. Out of the newer wave of electronic artists, Actress is climbing that ladder on his way to being a favorite of mine.

Squarepusher - Ufabulum: Love the simplicity of the artwork and is a great re-introduction to SP as I haven't bought a release of his since Ultravisitor.

Handsomest Drowned Man - Detritus: An internet friend of mine that I'm going to be having a meeting with soon. This release is like a retrospect of music he's made in the past 10 or so years. There's industrial, ambient, and idm notes in his sound. Pretty good stuff.

Zygote - 00/10: Music in this release spans the years of 2000 - 2010. It's rather ambient idm sounding like Plaid and Black Dog style.

I will try

Ufab : nuff said. 70/10

RIP : I don't think I "get" this one yet. It's nice, but it doesn't really satisfy me for some reason. Will keep trying. 68/10

Last Step — Sleep : Shockingly pleasant! But pretty short. But also the artwork is great! 146/10

Eleh — Radiant Intervals : I keep listening to this on headphones which is probably a dumb idea. But the artwork is great! 212/10

Farben — Textstar : Finally own this for real. And okay, it's technically a comp, but still. One of the best albums of all time imo. 21736/10

Gjoll — Way Through Zero : Insane bargain-bin find! Hardcore! Gnarly! Face melts off! I'm into it. 72364/10

Bibio — Fi : People actually don't like Bibio? This seems crazy to me. Anyway this album is nice but I like the stuff that came after it better. 472/10

Passengers — Original Soundtracks 1 : This has amazing Enoishness + the perfect amount of Bono (some but not much). I love this record, psyched to have it. 387654287/10

Prince — 10,000 Wallpaper : This is a bootleg but has the best sound quality I've ever heard on a bootleg ever. Also, this is the most fun awesome music ever recorded. 7892356493276492/10

Guest Ricky Downtown

Art Blakey Quintet - A Night At Birdland. Horace Silver really goes to work on this album. Lou Donaldson, Clifford Brown impress and Blakey's drums are fire, as always (although he does rely on some of his old tricks).

Hank Mobley - Soul Station. It has been a few years since I heard this. Mobley's solos are logical, easy to follow, effortless. Wynton Kelly was also feelin it this session. Blakey lays down the rhythm like a rock. All in all I think this is Mobley's best album as a leader. Favorite: Split Feelins.