Sign in to follow this  
murve33

A few albums recently listened.

Squarepusher - Numbers Lucent 8/10

Excellent, as usual. Love the dirty ending track, really cool.

Love that song.

Lord Sutch And Heavy Friends - 10/10

Someone posted "Flashing Lights" in some thread devoted to rocking songs and I am so happy that they did. When I'm shit-faced this is the album I will flail around to all-night (along with Neil Young's Re-ac-tor). Jimmy Page provides some fantastic guitar work as well.

Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges - Clube da Esquina - 10/10

Fantastic Brazillian Rock/Pop(?). Milton's voice is beautiful and Lo's guitar work is hypnotic. Single songs will go from slow and melancholy, to percussive breaks, to pure rock progressions. "Dos Cruces" is probably the best track to start with, though I fell in love with "San Vicente" (My girlfriend thinks that one's just plain goofy though).

Os Mutantes - Mutantes - 9/10

Their second album and my personal favorite. Brazillian psychedelic pop that the Beatles made so popular in the late-60's. They remind me a lot of "The United States of America" but 10x better. The tracks are all over the place, but the album is still cohesive in my opinion.

Gonjasufi - MU.ZZ.LE. - 10/10

It took me forever to warm up to this album, but now it's easily my favorite thing Ecks has ever released. "Nikels And Dimes/Rubberband" was all I listened to for a week-straight a few months ago. The beat-work and trip-hop basslines are gorgeous. Bassline in Rubberband might be samples from Portishead's "How can it be" or whatever the fuck that songs called but whatever. Less sample abuse than Gaslamp Killer's production in Sufi and a Killer.

Spectral Park - Spectral Park - 10/10

I can't remember if I already gushed about this album the last time I posted but it is so fucking cool. Poppy, overwhelming, distorted, perfect. I've never heard anything like it.

Beck - Modern Guilt - 10/10

I was one of those assholes who only liked Guero, but Gamma Ray is even better.

P-Model - In a Model Room - 8/10

Some damn fine Japanese New Wave.

Julia Holter - Loud City Song - 5/10

She's talented, but I get pretty bored with the album quickly. BUT, "Horns Surrounding Me" is amazing; a weird cross between Beach House, Portishead, and a small orchestra. Glad I held onto it for these shitty winter months.

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams - 9/10

Some White Panther hardcore proto-punk rock that exploded out of Detroit in 1968. Sampled by Alec Empire in "Alec Empire vs. Merzbow".

Oval - Pre-Systemische - 9/10

My favorite Oval tracks have always been "Commerce Server" and "Shop in Store". I recently found out that they were from recording sessions before 94diskont and Systemische. Grab it if you like his early stuff.

Todd Rundgren

I have the same opinion of Todd as I do of Richard D. James. They are kings of energy-filled hardcore, but their releases in the style are few and far between. With Richard we have "54 Cymru Beats", "Cock Ver 10", "Flow Coma Remix", "Box Energy Remix", some random song I found called "Crappy", "Omgyjya Switch7", "AFX 237v7", and I guess "Carnmarth" and some other tracks from the Richard D. James album.

Todd has "You need your Head", "Rock-n-roll Pussy", "Everybody's Going to Heaven/King-Kong Reggae), and "Heavy Metal Kids" (that fucking guitar solo).

If ya'll know anything by either artist that is as energetic and hardcore as the tracks I listed PLEASE tell me. And don't go sending me links to Steinvord, that stuff is dull.

No Joy - Negaverse - 9/10

Good upbeat shoegazey stuff.

And last but not least: Akiko Yano's song "Rose Garden". The rest of the album was really shitty 80's J-Pop, but this song is something special. 10/10

And if Kung-Fu Blaxploitation movies with a Soulful 70's soundtrack is your thing, get your hands on "Black Belt Jones". If you like the Black Dynamite movie you will like this. I've watched a good 20 or so Blaxploitation films in the past couple of months, and this is the cream of the crop.

Now I gotta check out all of the shit Beerwolf and VerticalHold posted.

Caught up on a bunch of new releases yesterday.

Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Not a bad album, but not exactly necessary either.

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

Few stand out tracks on there. Will probably need another couple of listens to properly get into it.

Lykke Li - I Never Learn

Meh. Not much going on here. Still tons better than the average pop album though, I suppose.

Flying Lotus - You're Dead

Pretty decent. I'd have preferred a handful of proper length tracks as opposed to a hundred 1-minute jams, though.

Gonna try and check out the new Electric Wizard album at some point today. Looking forward to that one!

Jefre Cantu-Ledesma ‎– Love Is A Stream

Probably the best noise-shoegaze album I've ever heard

10/10

Guest mrx

ariel pink - pom pom /a nice variety of tracks. aoty for me probably

martial canterel - gyors, lassu / more of the same old, but i like it better than this year's xeno oaklander record

dean blunt - black metal / i haven't paid attention to blunt/hype williams in more than 2 years, but picked this up by chance. very good moody :( boy music.

rolling stones - some girls/ got it for beast of burden. worth the 2 bux i paid

mitch murder - interceptor/ didn't know he had a record out, so i was surprised to see it in the record store. very good. the touch is currently my fav.

christian vogel - polyphonic beings. very good

pp roy - watch the dough nut not the hole/ also very good

Sleaford Mods- Austerity Dogs, Divide and Exit, Chubbed Up +, Tiswas EP.

Nasty and bilious, perfect for a shit winter already here in the northeastern US.

listened to Kettel & Secede - When Can this aftertoon with huge hungover tearing up my body and me comfortably cuddled on a bus seat going back home. this was a total bliss!!

Decided to check out the self-titled St. Vincent album, seeing as it's regularly popping up within the top 5 of several 'Best of 2014' lists. Plus she's previously collaborated with a couple of my favourite artists so she already had my kudos before diving in. I enjoyed a couple of tracks, but overall, I can't say that it's really my kinda thing. A lot of it seemed like it was trying too hard to be weird, and personally I don't think it paid off.

A lot of it seemed like it was trying too hard to be weird, and personally I don't think it paid off.

it's regularly popping up within the top 5 of several 'Best of 2014' lists.

:cat:

Hence the "personally I don't think it paid off", as opposed to "it didn't pay off" :wink:

People obviously dig that aspect, but it's not really my thaang.

Wauvenfold - 3fold

What happened to these guys? Jeez this is some wonderful collage music/10

Wagon Christ - Sorry I Make You Lush: Very fresh sounding with colorful chords and melodies. The first two tracks are great. "Shadows" is another Luke Vibert classic. 8/10

Cylob - Cylobian Sunset: Whoa, i think i've just found another Rephlex favorite. Starts off pretty hyper but gets calmer. 8,4/10

Ovuca - Onclements: Aleksi really did some weird stuff back then. There sure are some gems here and there and some really cool ambient stuff. 7,4/10

The Black Dog - Spanners: Classic Warp release, really like the eqyptian theme. Utopian Dream is fantastic. 8,5/10

µ-Ziq - Royal Astronomy: It has aged quite alot, but when i find a track i like on this album, i REALLY like it. Houzz 8 from The Fear EP is also good. 7/10

Squarepusher - Go Plastic: I didn't think i would like this album because i thought Tom had switched to the "Do You Know Squarepusher" style (have to give that one a good listen), but it turned out to be great, really loved it. Plaistow Flex Out is so dope. 8,8/10

CN - Nu: Gets better and better for each listen. I only really liked the first half on first listen, but it's a grower. 8,7/10

Chaos A.D. - Buzz Caner: Absolutely mental release by Tom on Rephlex back in 1998. "Up The Gary" is just great while "Dreaded Pestilence" sounds like Aphex Twin let

Tom borrow his gear he used for "Ventolin".

Machinedrum - Vapor City Archives - I saw a fair few people saying it's not really worth of a release on its own but I got it anyway. I have to disagree, it's an enjoyable album for me, much like previous releases.

Dorian Concept - Joined Ends - One of my favourites from the year for sure, although my 'to buy' list is still nowhere near empty. One of those albums where every track is a gem.

Busdriver - Perfect Hair - I mainly got this because of his features on Modeselektor tracks, and the fact Aesop Rock was on a track. Not a bad album, but not as good as i'd have hoped.

Illum Sphere - Ghosts of Then & Now - Nice album to listen to. Enjoyed quite a bit.

X-ASP: Terra Firma

Only release by these fellas. Classic early Rephlex braindance, fits snugly alongside Astrobotnia, Bochum Welt et al. Title tracks are good, but the best for me are Boost (real banger) and P69 (gorgeous)

Chaos A.D. - Buzz Caner: Absolutely mental release by Tom on Rephlex back in 1998. "Up The Gary" is just great while "Dreaded Pestilence" sounds like Aphex Twin let

Tom borrow his gear he used for "Ventolin".

Stunning album innit? Wonder if we'll ever get anything else like this from Tom?

Sleaford Mods - Austerity Dogs...like the bastard love-child of John Cooper Clarke lost at a ketamine soaked free-party. Gotta reprozent the Norrinum heavy Bronx peoples because it nails northern British urban anger @ recession bs....(also for coining the lyrics "Brian Eno, what the fook does he know, wiv his alien 'air-coot,,,,")

Cabaret Voltaire - Plasticity.......mainly to hear "Low Cool" again which is a complete Everest of a track

Weather Report - Mr Gone.......2 diamonds in this seam,,,,,,the self titled track & "River People", both brilliantly wonky proto-houseness

user487363530 all day urrrdaaay .. 10/10

Edited by vincentvc

Picked up Trevor Jackson's "Metal Dance - Industrial / Post-Punk / EBM : Classics & Rarities '80 - '88" compilation on the Bleep sale...

Pretty damn good collection of tracks all around. I've been really starting to get into the early industrial/goth-wave sound over the last year after being into some of the bands reviving this sound lately, but I'm still pretty new to all the older stuff as I was too young to really experience this era the first time around so this sampler serves as a great introduction to a bunch of artists. I put the comp on while putting shipments away in the back room at work, and it definitely made the night go by quickly. Also seems there's a volume 2 that I'll definitely be looking into.

Edited by ghOsty

Carl Craig - More Songs About Food And Revolutionary Art. Proper techno album, glad to have it reissued so I didn't sleep on this even longer.

Actress - R.I.P. 9/10 The first track alone is worth the price of admission. This album deserves the hype it got a couple of years ago IMO.

Mike & Rich - Expert Knob Twiddlers : first listen of that classic album to me, today. Never thought it was such a FUNKY album. Getting wonderful, positive vibes from all the tracks - it actually SOUNDS like they were having tons of fun making it.

TL;DR : "quite good"

Edited by StocKo

Mumdance & Logos - Proto

Not a big logos fan, but this is just a great record.

Busted out Orbital - Snivilisation the other day for a car ride. I'd say overall most of it aged pretty well, I'd still give it a solid "B". My 4 year old son really liked it and has it in his cd player at bedtime now