IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

We Were Dead has a handful of juicy treats on it. Dashboard, Fire it Up, Florida, Parting of the Sensory, Little Motel, Spitting Venom and People As Places are all super tunes. Also this album was played a lot when I was living and travelling in Australia so I might rate it higher than average because it brings back good memories. It sounds like sunshine :)

Sounds good - I'll jump on that. Nice one.

I often get lynched when I state that STO is my favourite. For some reason, that album really jived with me. Best artwork of the bunch too!

Bowie - Station to Station

fucking strange album, listened to it many times and it reamins some weird enigma to me. this is when he was doing loads of coke and slightly losing the plot. Its highly rated by some Bowie fans but probably not the same ones who like Let's Dance! (though I like both)

even when the 'pop hit' Golden Years comes on mainstream radio at work I always listen to it and think that's a weird fucking tune, it seems slightly mournful and sad...

definitely an album which will reward further time and effort

fucking strange album, listened to it many times and it reamins some weird enigma to me. this is when he was doing loads of coke and slightly losing the plot. Its highly rated by some Bowie fans but probably not the same ones who like Let's Dance! (though I like both)

even when the 'pop hit' Golden Years comes on mainstream radio at work I always listen to it and think that's a weird fucking tune, it seems slightly mournful and sad...

LOVE A side on this, especially TVC15

• 2 weeks later...

destroyer - kaputt

there are times when i feel this is the best album of the last seven years

this is the only bowie album i like. something is probably wrong with me.

• 3 weeks later...

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Recently became a fan of this band after hearing Painted Ruins, so I decided to properly check out some of their older stuff. Found the expanded edition on sale for a fiver and couldn't resist. Very enjoyable listen. That opening track is godlike.

GY!BE - Luciferian Towers

In all honesty, it's probably my least favourite Godspeed record so far. Distinct lack of heart wrenching crescendos on this one. Still pretty deece though. Anthem For No State is a highlight fer sher.

Women - Public Strain

Working backwards again. Big fan of Preoccupations/Viet Cong and was curious to hear where it all stemmed from. Fantastic album. The similarities between the two bands are very evident. I'll probably check out the self-titled when I get chance.

sweet diverse triptych of albums there ​valleyinaire

latest albums I've been bending my ears round would be the Cluster disgography, though I know their work with Eno I've never heard their own albums 

played the first couple Cluster Cluster II ​and can appreciate the early pioneering work being created but I don't see myself revisiting them, looking forward to the next couple of albums Zuckerzeit ​Sowiesoso

also been spinning the new Horrors album V

Edited by beerwolf

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought ​The ECM Recordings by ​Steve Reich​, which is a neat little CD boxset of some of his well known albums. It's been on my list for a while and very glad I bought it. Something a little bit different for me, which I was looking for, as I've finally given up the silly idea that I've entertained for the last few years that I'll ever get into jazz (phew what a relief : )

Just played the disc with ​Music for a Large Ensemble, Violin Phase & Octet. ​Not so keen on Violin Phase, the other 2 were more my cup of tea, Octet was particularly appetizing. 

Edited by beerwolf

been listening to Swans' White Light... a lot lately. I like it cause it's sad but in some kind of dignified way. Like sad but proud. Hard to explain

Yes! I bought it on LP about 3 months ago and play it almost daily. Very moreish album.

• 2 weeks later...

Was quite a big Pumpkins  fan when Adore  dropped back in 98, can't remember why there would of been any reason why I wouldn't of skipped down to Our Price and bought the album for £15 without ever hearing a single note (as you did). But in this day and age and by the power and glory of Spotify I've just ran through the whole shed full of horseshit from beginning to end. Wow, what a preposterous load of bollocks. I'll give 1.5 points for the first track and there might be another half decent tune somewhere after that but who cares? Definitely not me. 

1.5/10 

Edited by beerwolf

sweet diverse triptych of albums there ​valleyinaire

latest albums I've been bending my ears round would be the Cluster disgography, though I know their work with Eno I've never heard their own albums 

played the first couple Cluster Cluster II ​and can appreciate the early pioneering work being created but I don't see myself revisiting them, looking forward to the next couple of albums Zuckerzeit ​Sowiesoso

maybe have a rummage thru the Roedelius "Selbstportrait (1&2)" solo lp's, although there are nuggets in all his works, plus Conny Plank's Les Vampyrettes e.p who produced a lot of the German releases from this period

https://www.discogs.com/artist/105272-Hans-Joachim-Roedelius

https://www.discogs.com/Les-Vampyrettes-Les-Vampyrettes/master/628259

edit - Julian Cope's "Krautrocksampler" book is a goldmine for German music from the late 60's/early 70's, gives a good review of the more nuanced acts & the more immediate crash bang wallops, Discogs even has his top 50 lp's listed (in no particular order & still missing some gems)

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Krautrocksampler-Top-50-Albums-compiled-by-Julian-Cope/136

Edited by cwmbrancity

Was quite a big Pumpkins  fan when Adore  dropped back in 98, can't remember why there would of been any reason why I wouldn't of skipped down to Our Price and bought the album for £15 without ever hearing a single note (as you did). But in this day and age and by the power and glory of Spotify I've just ran through the whole shed full of horseshit from beginning to end. Wow, what a preposterous load of bollocks. I'll give 1.5 points for the first track and there might be another half decent tune somewhere after that but who cares? Definitely not me. 

1.5/10 

aw man, I think Adore is great.

It does feel a little bloated at times, but it's probably on par with Siamese Dream for me.

(MCIS = #1 tho)

Connect_Icut - They Showed Me The Secret Beaches

I have a habit of taking an old copy of The Wire, at random from a large pile in my flat, to the toilet with me. Invariably I'll read a 10 year old review of something I've never heard of then look it up on slsk.

I couldn't find this one on there so I ended up buying the LP as it was cheap on discogs.

Regular spins in the morning have made me very fond of this. Process-period-Oval sounding electronics set to: borderline dread ambient.

Recently I was contemplating making a rip for my phone and decided to check slsk again because ripping stuff is a pita.

Whaddaya know , the damn thing is free on bandcamp.

Dean Blunt - The Narcissist 

This is the 2nd thing to be released under Blunt's own (fictional) name after Black is Beautiful and post Hype Williams.

I remember listening to it on SC back then and thinking it was just a mash of warbling lofi synths and film samples.

I got way more into him after playing random Hype Williams stuff on CDr at work regularly and getting into Black Metal in a big way about 2 years ago.

I've been buying up all the Blunt stuff on LP this year and I knew this one was kinda pricey now. iirc 2nd hand copies *start* at 35 quid on discogs.

Somehow I discovered a seller on amazon with brand new copies going for £20 and snapped one up immediately.

This album is nothing like how I remember it. Yeah there's a few dialogue samples like I remember, and it starts with this woozy atonal synth blare, but after that this ridiculously earworm-y soulless-soul lofi funk tracks come in and slowly get under your skin. I love this album now and have been playing it as soon as I wake up for the last 2 weeks.

Was quite a big Pumpkins fan when Adore dropped back in 98, can't remember why there would of been any reason why I wouldn't of skipped down to Our Price and bought the album for £15 without ever hearing a single note (as you did). But in this day and age and by the power and glory of Spotify I've just ran through the whole shed full of horseshit from beginning to end. Wow, what a preposterous load of bollocks. I'll give 1.5 points for the first track and there might be another half decent tune somewhere after that but who cares? Definitely not me.

1.5/10

aw man, I think Adore is great.

It does feel a little bloated at times, but it's probably on par with Siamese Dream for me.

(MCIS = #1 tho)

For Martha is a really good track.

Been revisiting vladislav delay's "train" albums Vantaa, Espoo and Kupio, thanks to the thread on watmm

So much mindblowing dope music on those releases, i give em 10/10

also

Scuba - a mutual anitpathy

alva noto - univrs

taake - kong vinter

gets a 10/10 from me