IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

Played this a few times over the years and always hated it. Just fucking relentlessly boring and dreary. But it's one of those albums that gets the critics all hopping about like mad and golden opportunity to write another 10/10 review. So I think I'll play it again and I'll see the light. Nah not this time either.

I'm currently on the penultimate track and can't wait for the thing to end, I did play it from beginning to end though. And I have to idea why. Maybe it's me refusing to crumble, maybe it's just me utterly fascinated in how this LP gets a never ending stream of classic reviews. It's not that I'm adverse to heavy experimental music. Or adverse to other PiL albums (Public Image, Flowers of Romance and Album all have their merits)

If I'm being honest part of me thinks a lot of people are bullshitting when they rate this so highly. Maybe I just need to concentrate on Mister Wobbles bass lines and block out everything else. Maybe I'll play a Jah Wobble solo album instead then.

Edited by beerwolf

Huh, I didn't even realize John Lydon had another band after Sex Pistols...  I'm going to have to check this out.

To Metal Box's credit, it maketh the The Sex Pistols sound like a cartoon teenybopper band.

Edited by beerwolf

• 2 weeks later...

Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

Played this a few times over the years and always hated it. Just fucking relentlessly boring and dreary. But it's one of those albums that gets the critics all hopping about like mad and golden opportunity to write another 10/10 review. So I think I'll play it again and I'll see the light. Nah not this time either.

I'm currently on the penultimate track and can't wait for the thing to end, I did play it from beginning to end though. And I have to idea why. Maybe it's me refusing to crumble, maybe it's just me utterly fascinated in how this LP gets a never ending stream of classic reviews. It's not that I'm adverse to heavy experimental music. Or adverse to other PiL albums (Public Image, Flowers of Romance and Album all have their merits)

If I'm being honest part of me thinks a lot of people are bullshitting when they rate this so highly. Maybe I just need to concentrate on Mister Wobbles bass lines and block out everything else. Maybe I'll play a Jah Wobble solo album instead then.

the only helpful rule to Jah Wobble is to try & listen to everything he's ever been affiliated to or involved with, even if that means crunching through the PIL back-catalog, the bulk of which sounds.... how can this be said delicately.....boring

his Holger Czukay collaberations are mint & metaphorically endless, but even the more recent Chinese Dub Orchestra release has some gems, get stuck in bwlad & if you ever see him listed in certain gig guides try n get to one for a lesson in some of the heaviest & warmest bass playing (& clarity of amplification) you'll find this side of sanity

Played Hans Zimmer - Intersteller  this morning (haven't seen the movie). Fucking atrocious and deadly boring. Pompus wank.

Best track is the last one (yes I made it to the end...), which is a narration of Dylan Thomas' Do Not Go Gentle Into That Goodnight.

If you snoozed while playing this you definitely would not loose.

Edited by beerwolf

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided that virt's fx4 is one of the best electronic albums ever made. I know some don't take chiptune seriously as an electronic genre but virt has more technical finesse w/ a tracker than most of your so called "IDM heroes", better melodic structure and solo lines than squarepusher. prove me wrong

I've decided that virt's fx4 is one of the best electronic albums ever made. I know some don't take chiptune seriously as an electronic genre but virt has more technical finesse w/ a tracker than most of your so called "IDM heroes", better melodic structure and solo lines than squarepusher. prove me wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwG5y-zxXwo

Normally with you on your opinions but that one hurts my ears. Edited by Extralife
  • Like 1

Normally with you on your opinions but that one hurts my ears.

It's a bit chaotic... Maybe check out his soundtrack for shovel knight (also made for the same NES sound chip).

this is one of my favorite albums a few years back and I just rediscovered it.... I think it's one of univers zero's lesser known albums but I find it very good. Also the cover art of the album is incredible

I also like their album Ceux du dehors

Edited by Bubba69

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this label on youtube a few days ago and have been enjoying their releases.  This VA is good from start to finish, and they still have a few records left in their bandcamp

https://mindcolormusic.bandcamp.com/album/aux4412

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWhdcysAU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSFu25aqxKA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

damn, glad to have stumbled upon this:)

Listened to the new Alias album . Quite liked it .. I do like doseone's stuff in general.. composition wise i like his sensibilities .. such a weird use of his talents ... . production on the percussion on this album quite good for what it is .

Vocals awesome in general

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

front.jpg

snagged this last night after a heavy session of alcohol consumption. goes for $100+ on the discogs market so i fancy myself a fancy pants for grabbing it for $35.

what exactly is it? imagine some really swank arabian music.... now imagine a really beautiful woman dancing to said music. and she's feeding you fruit. and you're drunk. and you're inside a tent. and you're cool and it's hot outside. and the music keeps getting better. and someone just gave you $10,000 because they thought you could use it. 

it's kinda like that.