IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you read the hipster house thread you will have seen I bought one of Lobster Theremin's Record Bundles a few weeks ago. That was the regular one, this week I picked up the Secret Labels one too as I was in store to pick up another purchase.

Well, first record I pulled out fucking blew me away. Obviously I was expecting some house/techno/acid etc. What I got was a fantastic noise/ambient/drone LP in the vein of (early) Hafler Trio or Wanda Group.

I looked up the guy and it turns out it's the debut solo LP by the Lobster Theremin bossman himself.

Can't recommend this enough.

https://tidybedroom.bandcamp.com/album/to-be-held-in-a-non-position

Edited by hello spiral
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lot of used CDs purchased on Ebay for $37.00 USD. Everything ripped perfectly. Bold titles indicate those I was most interested in, having already owned the Global Goon, Wagon Christ, and Plaid releases.

Global Goon - Vatican Nitez

Wagon Christ - The Power Of Love / Tally Ho! / Musipal

Luke Vibert - Big Soup

Plaid - Peel Session / Double Figure

μ-Ziq - Tango N' Vectif / Salsa With Mesquite / Urmur Bile Trax Volumes 1 & 2 / The Fear

Autechre - Basscad, EP

Mira Calix - Prickle

Ovuca - King Stacey

Bogdan Raczynski - Ibiza Anthems Vol. 4 / Alright!

D'Arcangelo - Shipwreck

Boom Bip - Seed To Sun

Various Artists - Warp Routine (Warp)

Various Artists - wap100 We Are Reasonable People (Warp)

Various Artists - The Braindance Coincidence (Rephlex)

Various Artists - Mealtime (Planet Mu)

Coming around to Madonna's newie. It's more of a sum-than-the-parts album, unlike some other recent ones it engages effectively through to the end without getting a tad overlong, monotonous or lacking her presence. She still hasn't made a crap album for mine, the bottom one's here are just less preferable to me.

1. Bedtime Stories

5/5

2. Erotica

5/5

3. True Blue

4.5/5

4. Ray of Light

4.5/5

5. Madonna

4.5/5

^all time faves

6. MDNA

3.5/5

7. American Life

3.5/5

8. Like a Prayer

3.5/5

9. Like a Virgin

3.5/5

10. Madame X

3/5

11. Hard Candy

3/5

12. Rebel Heart

2.5/5

13. Confessions on a Dance Floor

2.5/5

14. Music

2.5/5

Edited by Roo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok. So this album is one of the most popular albums of all time, but I’ve (thankfully) rediscovered it about a year ago and, my god. It’s fucking unbelievably good. 

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water 

Please, especially if you aren’t familiar with it, listen to the whole damn thing (preferably on headphones) with an open mind. It’s truly incredible. I just listened to it all the way through again on the plane yesterday and I am profoundly struck, yet again, by how incredible it is. 

Edited by J3FF3R00

On 9/19/2019 at 11:40 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Ok. So this album is one of the most popular albums of all time, but I’ve (thankfully) rediscovered it about a year ago and, my god. It’s fucking unbelievably good. 

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water 

Please, especially if you aren’t familiar with it, listen to the whole damn thing (preferably on headphones) with an open mind. It’s truly incredible. I just listened to it all the way through again on the plane yesterday and I am profoundly struck, yet again, by how incredible it is. 

Growing up I was aware of S&G and liked a few tracks enough, like with many 60s bands before I started digging into that decade. I was actually more familiar with Paul Simon as a solo artist growing up in the 80s. But sometime around 2009 my then-girlfriend had gone out of state for an internship and I dug through some of her CDs, deciding to listen to Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. I was hooked instantly. Of course I very quickly sought out the proper albums and really, they're all fantastic. My favorite is Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. I did the same thing with The Smiths around the same time, starting with her copy of Hatful of Hollow. Just hadn't bothered to listen to them beyond the singles before then. But back on the topic of 60s folk rock, I'll tack on a recommendation for The Byrds' first 6 albums as being true gems. If you've only heard the songs "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and "Mr. Tambourine Man", I don't blame you for not having the urge to dig deeper, but you're missing out. I'm not knocking the songs, but they've certainly been played enough.

34 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

But back on the topic of 60s folk rock, I'll tack on a recommendation for The Byrds' first 6 albums as being true gems. If you've only heard the songs "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and "Mr. Tambourine Man", I don't blame you for not having the urge to dig deeper, but you're missing out. I'm not knocking the songs, but they've certainly been played enough.

Actually, I’ve also recently been digging into the early byrds stuff, for the first time. They are pretty rad. All of the groovy harmonies and 12-strings. :music:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been listening to Flaty's Generic TARGZ a lot. Kind of short but really good all the way through. The first track 'Elevation' is excellent, simple but tasteful percussion, swell pads. 

• 4 weeks later...

Gave a spin to The Rise of Hobo Johnson out of sheer curiosity last night and I actually found it to be not too bad...

... I liked a few tracks and found Hobo Johnson to be entertaining with his poetic flows and goofy verses. I was more entertained by it than JPEGMAFIA's All My Heroes Are Cornballs, which had some interesting production but a pretty annoying voice.

...should I be ashamed? :wtf:

6 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Listened to the majority of Korns self titled record yesterday. It produced a nice mix of appreciation for the drum recording , nostalgia and cynicism 

To be fair, when that album came out, it was a bit of a game changer. I was in a hardcore/metal band at the time and just about every metalhead I knew was like “holy shit... stop the presses... this is one of the heaviest albums ever”.
It’s too bad they quickly became a bit of a parody of themselves. They definitely had a moment with that record tho. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nirvana - In Utero 20th Anniversary edition.

I wish I listened to it sooner. With the exception of Pennyroyal Tea, there isn't a bad song on it and it's dark as fuck, and even that one I can stomach (no pun intended). I ended up sampling the crazy intro from Radio Friendly Unit Shifter on one of my new songs because its so good and underrated.

• 2 weeks later...

R-11840993-1523318405-3272.jpeg.jpgHawthonn ‎– Red Goddess (Of This Men Shall Know Nothing)

Very unique occult-driven husband/wife duo: folk music with plenty of effects, and maybe some synths, female vocals, very experimental and stands out considerably.  apparently this band was used as a soundtrack in the Netflix series "The New Pope".  

There are some side projects that are more neofolk, but with exceptional melodies, not the same DIJ ripoff stuff.  Recently bought a lathe cut of theirs with no regrets, and I am not a big neofolk fan at all. 

Edited by no part of it