A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Definitely not a band I’m aware of that would be discussed much here on watmm (it’s The War On Drugs). However this is one of my tip-top discoveries in the last year. I love it. And not so keen on much else they’ve done. This is their first album and has such a magnificent tripped out hazy sound to it, whereas their later releases seem a bit boring and because they may of started to take themselves a bit more serious. Slave Ambient is an entirely different beast altogether.

0AC9F3BB-39EB-426C-B007-D9443DB6ACBE.jpeg

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Playing this now

996436F4-8480-44F6-AE19-0F3C7911E0A4.jpeg

Its ‘experimental jazz’ (yawns) but it’s on Warp Records, and seeing as I am a Reasonable Person and generally regard myself as one of their most loyal and hardened henchmen I thought that maybe should give it a little delicate twirl on the eardrums. It’s actually rather pleasant. Space 1, 3, 6 & 7 seem cool. Maybe I should file this under jazz albums I would play again. With the other 2 or 3 :whistling:

Edited by beerwolf

• 4 weeks later...

Demdike Stare - Wonderland

I just love this album so much. One of my favorites of the past several years. Those rich rough gritty beats soothe my soul

• Like 1

spacer.png

By far my favorite David Bowie. Brian Eno and David Bowie is a combo to be reckoned with indeed.

Menacing, strange, jazzy, melodic, atmospheric, heavy hitting. An experimental,spacey, Neo-Noir soundtrack. Always LOVED the Lost Highway intro with I'm Deranged and the full album did not disappoint.

The mixing/production is densely layered, rich and wide. Sounds glorious.

Superb.

Even the album cover is fucking lush.

10/10

• Like 4

On 11/3/2021 at 4:09 AM, thefxbip said:

spacer.png

By far my favorite David Bowie. Brian Eno and David Bowie is a combo to be reckoned with indeed.

Menacing, strange, jazzy, melodic, atmospheric, heavy hitting. An experimental,spacey, Neo-Noir soundtrack. Always LOVED the Lost Highway intro with I'm Deranged and the full album did not disappoint.

The mixing/production is densely layered, rich and wide. Sounds glorious.

Superb.

Even the album cover is fucking lush.

10/10

I’ve never heard this album. Your passionate description makes me think I should. So I will.

• Like 2

4F49B798-D01A-44AC-89E8-6C5B6812C13E.jpeg.7df73fef7f588adbf2bb589c86aef650.jpeg

I don’t like every track but I played it yesterday and still my favourite tunes hit the spot. Actually it was fucking brilliant giving it a long deserved spin on the CD player 😎

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

nice one Extralife ☝️

ED90A15A-3BB3-4903-B6DF-801E5C0A216C.jpeg.68e506cb224bfd3ab9652239cfb82619.jpeg

Did a trawl through Spotify for Sonic Youth stuff I may not have knowledge on. Found this. It’s pretty good. I did a search for it and found an old Rubin Farr thread but it didn’t scream resurrect me!!(there was only 4 or five posts)

Check it out. (If you like instrumental Sonic Youth)

Edited by beerwolf

spacer.png

Mendelson - Personne ne le fera pour nous (2007)

Almost through with a first listen to this French art rock album, also the first thing I've checked out from the group. I forget how this ended up in my list. Pretty interesting musically and lyrically (French is my native tongue but it's rusty after 30+ years in the US), but it is quite long at 90 minutes. Broke it up between morning dog walk, lunch dog walk & eating, and afternoon work. 

Edited by sidewinder

spacer.png

The Glove - Blue Sunshine (1983)

I think this was my first time checking out this Cure/Banshees side project, although it's been in my queue for a long time. It was decent, a little better than expected but no match for either band's output up to this point.

spacer.png

Body Meπa - The Work Is Slow (2020)

Instrumental rock, mix of experimental and post-rock I suppose, with some Krautrock influence. Second listen, as it happens exactly two months after my first.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

NUEARZ - Saturation Point (2009)

Hadn't listened to this in a while, came to my attention when revisiting my best of 2009 list. Quite good stuff, and it's dawned on me I haven't paid much attention since. A search on the forum indicates I did listen to the follow-up, Face Lift, but probably just once and I don't remember it. I also didn't catalog it on RYM for some reason. 🤔 Time to revisit that and check out the more recent ones. 

• Like 1

Nice slice of cheese in your burger there but I know you prefer a unholy slice of Slayer in your ears J3FF3ROO 😉

Edited by beerwolf
  • Burger 1

22 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Nice slice of cheese in your burger there but I know you prefer a unholy slice of Slayer in your ears J3FF3ROO 😉

Nothing better than satan in my ears and cheese in my belly. 

• Big Brain 1