A few albums recently listened.

murve33

C4175CEC-0B54-4DE0-B027-C7A8A6E5C795.jpeg.0036d29250755a6bd442f34b8c6b2ce8.jpeg

12284C27-0E4B-4F6A-B8B0-A31D7E3FF908.jpeg.fb80a2c939d70bc6125f9e4f26e038b0.jpeg

E17912B6-9DB9-41D5-B974-3139FD158D8C.jpeg.8b6872a23f59241af443327579051538.jpeg

BCD974DE-3023-452B-8400-6382B5FA8496.jpeg.fcede7eb2cb25b3981e534ac2cb15715.jpeg

145CDA42-C2AA-4532-861E-1649A3506BF8.jpeg.e5932df8241360bb16788d5aedfef5fa.jpeg

Top to bottom.

Alex G -Rocket. Ok. I listened to all his records in a quick reconnaissance mission. Wasn’t really that impressed. Reminded me of Mellow Gold era Beck. But not even close to that masterpiece. 5/10 

Om - Advaitic Songs. Great. 7.7/10

Squid - Bright Green Field. Growing on me. Steadily rising from a 6 to a 7/10

The Clash - Sandinista. Lots of filler but some of the best tracks they ever made are buried here. 7/10

9/10!

Edited by beerwolf

• 3 weeks later...

419F557E-BDFC-471E-82AB-DCF6E0757067.jpeg.8e638c1a0e4b5b98080f48ca775fc46a.jpeg

Feel like blowing someones brains out with a shotgun? Play them this instead. 
Fucking terrific album from beginning to end. Easy one of their best.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Rather enjoying the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album. More synths than guitars this time round, which isn’t unusual for them. Some people seem unhappy with it as it’s so short, but all their albums only seem to have three or four bangers on, and the rest a bit forgettable. Here they trim all the fat and just release a 34 minute album. For me that works perfectly.

BCB40277-41AB-455D-B876-3E7B05CD2511.jpeg

Edited by beerwolf

Just listened to Pod all the way through  for the first time in years. Certainly the first time since discovering that  Britt Walford was Shannon Doughton. Then listened to it two more times. 

What a fuckibg  brilliant record.

The_Breeders_Pod.jpg.a8cbf7640f894494a1fad04ea7218eb2.jpg

• Like 3

spacer.png

Picked this one up maybe 5 years ago for super cheap on cd so I could listen to it in my mother in law’s car (had to go back to CDs because her antenna was broken and her car didn’t have an aux input or Bluetooth). I always loved LR but at the time, it was right after David Bowie died and I became immersed in his raw energy, which was a massive influence on DB (I also was listening to Bowie’s “man who sold the world” LP a lot at that time… one of bowie’s darker LPs). On the days when I was feeling acutely insulted by my MIL, I would sometimes leave the volume up super high on her car stereo so she would have an ear-blasting “A-WOP-BOBBA-LOO-BOP-A-LOMP-BOMP-BOP!” tutti-frutti boobie trap at 7am when she got in the car for work. Still proud of that btw ?

Obvious Bowie inspiration aside, this time listening to his “essential” hits, I’m again struck by how fucking amped this dude is.  it’s like minor threat, early black flag or the stooges. He’s at a constant fucking 10 and screams like he’s getting killed in a horror movie before almost every sax solo. What I also absolutely love, particularly about the first two LPs he did on Specialty Recordings, is how whoever engineered the session wasn’t prepared for how fucking loud his vocal performance were going to be so all the voice tracks on virtually all of the masters are blistering hot in the red and distorted as fuck. Swoon city. At times his voice sounds like someone trying to blow their guts out of a saxophone. 
The compilation leaves off the track “all around the world“, which I would definitely consider “essential”, but it is still worth far beyond the $4 I got it for.

Note: You gotta be kinda careful with Little Richard comps in general, especially on LP, because he notoriously re-recorded his big hits multiple times over the years probably to reclaim lost royalties but this one is definitely the classic original shit.

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

Seen so many interviews with Lemmy speaking so highly of his love for Little Richard. Not just his music but the person, being black and overtly homosexual at such a conservative time in the South of USA. And what that must of been like. Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly etc I’m a massive fan of. I kind of grew up with it, playing my mum and dads old records on an old Pye turntable. Memories.

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

The new Dorian Concept album "What We Do For Others".  I've been patiently waiting a long time for some new work from him.  He's one of my all-time favorite musicians and artists.  Sadly, I do not like ONE TRACK on the new album.  Not one.  I think the reason why is he departed from his more organic side, the soul / jazz / funk backbone to his music.  Sure his older music did get very electronic, but there was always some soulful vibes and chords to it.  This is all just very generic and metallic sounding, with rather unappealing chipmunk-like vocalizations going on in almost every track.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 11:22 AM, lyst said:

The new Dorian Concept album "What We Do For Others".  I've been patiently waiting a long time for some new work from him.  He's one of my all-time favorite musicians and artists.  Sadly, I do not like ONE TRACK on the new album.  Not one.  I think the reason why is he departed from his more organic side, the soul / jazz / funk backbone to his music.  Sure his older music did get very electronic, but there was always some soulful vibes and chords to it.  This is all just very generic and metallic sounding, with rather unappealing chipmunk-like vocalizations going on in almost every track.

Thanks for this, I was almost about to plunk down for this album but also realized there's a lot of back material of his I've yet to hear.  Where would u recommend to dive into releases instead?

15 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

Thanks for this, I was almost about to plunk down for this album but also realized there's a lot of back material of his I've yet to hear.  Where would u recommend to dive into releases instead?

Definitely.  I'd start with 'When Planets Explode' first.  Then 'Joined Ends' as far as albums.  EPs go 'Trilingual Dance Sexsperience', and 'Her Tears Taste like Pears'.

Lastly, his remixes are fucking insane.  Peep-

Draw (Dorian Concept Remix)

The Light (Dorian Concept Remix)

The Flu (Dorian Concept Rmx)

• Thanks 1

https://www.discogs.com/release/534701-Various-Improvised-Music-From-Japan

10 disc compilation of what it says on the tin. Discs 8 and 9 at the moment, 8 has a very nice long-form koto (if I'm not mistaken) piece, 9 some more straightforward free jazz. And Kaiyu by Ryoji Hojito is a very beatuiful prepared piano-ish piece, gonna track down some more of his stuff.

Another Photophob album, one of his best, cruchy idm with cool beats & melancholic melodies, aural pleasure to the max! Check it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ARPA said:

Fabulous psych-rock-stuff!

Cool. The spiralling riff really reminds me of a tune which I can't put my finger on. Vocals are definitely influenced by Jesus & Mary Chain.

• Like 1