IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Guest nowyouknow

i'm discovering dead can dance with the 87 album, this is real good.

same thing with detroit techno: i try drexciya & shake shakir. don't know what to think yet.

Edited by nowyouknow

You should try The other people place - lifestyles of the laptop café, I believe drexciya was involved in that. One of my favourite albums.

In other news:

espen eriksen trio - you had me at goodbye 8/10, a bit simple but very well thought-out

solar fields - earthshine 7/10, not what I'd expected but nice, needs a few more listens

tee & company - spanish flower 9/10, just two tracks but wow

HIA - colourform 9/10, of course

HIA & Biosphere - birmingham frequencies 7/10

ufomammut - idolum 7.5/10

Guest nowyouknow

i'm discovering dead can dance with the 87 album, this is real good.

within the realm of a dying sun?

yess

Neil Young - Live Rust 1000000000/10

I've never listened to this one, just Rust Never Sleeps, which is one of my favorites. How does this one compare?

Matthew Friedberger - Holy Ghost Language School: 10/10

A fantastic album. Probably his best solo album to date. So many overwhelming and dramatic tracks. I'd give every track on this album a 10/10, with the exception of track 3 which is pretty fucking dull.

Edited by Murveman

Neil Young - Live Rust 1000000000/10

I've never listened to this one, just Rust Never Sleeps, which is one of my favorites. How does this one compare?

Well, the versions of the songs that are on Rust Never Sleeps are MUCH better on Live Rust, in my opinion. More rockin' and raw. Powderfinger! Also, it serves as a great "best of" even though there are so many great songs of his that aren't on here.

Powderfinger!

Getting into Choose Your Own Adventure by Team Doyobi at the moment. (I guess the title above my avatar makes that obvious.)

I haven't listened to these guys much until recently.

Planning on going through the RDJ discog sequentially (kinda) because it's been a couple years since I really gave any of it a proper listen & there's a lot of his stuff I haven't even heard (namely anything released as Caustic Window or Afx)

SAW85-92 - the first half of this album is damn near perfect. I dig the back half but it's always thrown me a bit. I can never quite tell if it's because the tracks are as good as the first bunch & it's just that I tend to reach Aphex overload around the 40 minute mark, or if they aren't as good & it's the residual magic of what came before that's bringing them up to par

Also there are a lot more digitalish sounds then I remember there being, maybe it's my imagination but some of the pads strike me as having that nice distinct thin feel

Jandek - Your Turn to Fall

I've listened to this album like twice as much as I've listened to any Boards of Canada album what's wrong with me

Though this one in particular is kinduva highlight of his early pre-band era (the first crazy caveman band era, not the later, "what this almost sounds like music" band era). It's got interesting almost-rhythms on the guitar, he seems more in control of his vocals than usual & actually utilizes melodic motifs, & the first track is one of my all time favourite songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnelVmOrmLw

Nothing But Noise - Not Bleeding Red. Stunning analogue Tangerine Dream style double album. 9/10.

Mystical Sun - Energy Mind Consciousness. Quality spacious and atmospheric Ambient Electronic album. 9/10.

Meg Bowles - A Quiet Light.Lovely Ambient album, similar to Roach. 8/10.

Tangerine Dream - Tangram. Cheesy, beautiful, atmospheric, and an enjoyable journey. One of my favourite of theirs. 9/10.

I bought Hard Normal Daddy last week, always been slow on the uptake with Squarepusher, I think because of the jazz element (being a metalhead I'd puke at the thought of listening to jazz lol) anyway it seems I have mellowed a bit. It's a real good listen but I can't score it out of 10 just yet because its too early. I think it may sneek crafty 8.

Good lord this album is sublime. I can't believe how much I love it, it's addictive!!

I play this twice a day at the moment and have fallen head over heels for it, when the album just gets close to the mark of 'too much jazz', then an idm braindance mosh comes kicking in to level it out. Nice one.

I'm not really an audiophile but the cd I bought from Bleep seems to sound seriously way ahead of the free mp3 download, the cd sounds lush and vibrant while my mp3 renders it slightly cold. This is in the highest echelons of my fav albums, not suprising as it took me completely by suprise.

Hard Normal Daddy? It's a nine out of 10 mate.

deepchord - hash-bar loops 8/10

the sight below - it all falls apart 8/10

tim hecker - ravedeath, 1972 9/10

s.o.l.o. - out is in 9/10

smackos ‎- the age of candy candy 7/10

scanner - scanner vs. signs ov chaos 8/10

Piano Overlord - Aninha Mission (2012) - I played this twice last Friday. It's pretty low-key and doesn't require too much attention, but it's enjoyable and manages to perk up your ears on occasion. I'll be playing this more, it's an easy listen. More enjoyable than Prefuse 73's last release, but it doesn't take much to beat that. Speaking of, I could maybe stand to give that another listen.

Nas - Life Is Good (2012) - I haven't kept up with Nas at all since 1996's It Was Written, though I did check out I Am... (meh) and The Lost Tapes sometime last year. The latter probably deserves more listening. I'm checking out this new one because I've heard good things, a return to form in ways. I checked out the Amazon samples last week and wasn't all that impressed, but I figure a real listen was warranted. I wish I wasn't listening on Spotify as the sound quality is lacking. Nearing the end now and I'd say it is pretty solid and definitely better than I Am... but I can't compare it to other recent efforts since I haven't heard them. I don't think it could ever top his first two albums, but I'll play it again. The most negative thing I could say is that the female guest vocalists aren't really to my liking.

Piano Overlord - Aninha Mission (2012) - I played this twice last Friday. It's pretty low-key and doesn't require too much attention, but it's enjoyable and manages to perk up your ears on occasion. I'll be playing this more, it's an easy listen. More enjoyable than Prefuse 73's last release, but it doesn't take much to beat that. Speaking of, I could maybe stand to give that another listen.

Simply striked me as background music, good background music.

Edited by Jur

Royksopp - Melody A.M.: 7ish/10

Good stuff. Only two tracks that I don't care for. Poor Leno due to it being cheesey and She's So due to my hate of wailing saxophones.

Mindless Self Indulgence - Despierta Los Ninos: 8/10

So much energy and high-speed synth-riffs and fat beats. The lyrics in this album kind of sound like a cry for help, which is humorous to me because in my opinion this was their last good album before changing their sound. They soon sold out to Hot Topic and then all of a sudden every Emo Girl in my high school was ranting about how great MSI was.

Deerhunter - Halycon Digest: 9/10

Their sound is so refined in this album. Desire Lines is a nice song to zone out to. The fucking saxophone in Coronodo makes me so upset though. Ruins one of the best songs on the album.

Joao Gilberto - Joao Gilverto: Nice/10

Listened to this one again. Compliments summer picnics with my girlfriend like no other.

Edit: Forgot about...

Freescha - Lift: 8/10

Such a soothing album. Sometimes I just crave the first track and listen to it on loop for a while. A majority of the other tracks are almost just as good.

Edited by Murveman

I bought Hard Normal Daddy last week, always been slow on the uptake with Squarepusher, I think because of the jazz element (being a metalhead I'd puke at the thought of listening to jazz lol) anyway it seems I have mellowed a bit. It's a real good listen but I can't score it out of 10 just yet because its too early. I think it may sneek crafty 8.

Good lord this album is sublime. I can't believe how much I love it, it's addictive!!

I play this twice a day at the moment and have fallen head over heels for it, when the album just gets close to the mark of 'too much jazz', then an idm braindance mosh comes kicking in to level it out. Nice one.

I'm not really an audiophile but the cd I bought from Bleep seems to sound seriously way ahead of the free mp3 download, the cd sounds lush and vibrant while my mp3 renders it slightly cold. This is in the highest echelons of my fav albums, not suprising as it took me completely by suprise.

Hard Normal Daddy? It's a nine out of 10 mate.

Hard Normal Daddy would be much better without DJ Crazy Frog's guest stint on Chin Hippy

Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy: 6/10

Funny Little Man is so repetitive and the To Cure A Weakling Child Remix is sorta dull. I love all 3 of the Come To Daddy's, especially the Mummy Mix. The thing where the electronic drone comes in every once in a while and intensifies right before the snare rush has always been one of my favorite Aphex moments.

Department of Eagles - In Ear Park (2008)

Meeeeeeh! This is like the songs I don't like from Veckatimest repeated for the duration of an entire album. I can say that now after my third listen, this is quite the example of mediocrity.

Ahmad Szabo - This Book Is About Words

(2003)

This is an alias of Prefuse 73 that I, for whatever reason, only learned about in the last few days. Maybe there's a reason for that. It's just flat-out boring. 23 minutes of mellow noodling.

Edited by sidewinder

Anna Von Hausswolff - Ceremonies

I'm not usually a fan of pop music but some of this stuff is just plain beautiful. Great voice and use of church organ. The better stuff doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere on the internet, but there is a video for one of the more upbeat moments on the album. Fun fact - she is sound artist CM Von Hausswolff's daughter.

Merzbow - Live Destruction at No Fun 2007

Surprisingly 'rhythmic' recording from Merzbow. For fans of the older stuff he combines laptop with junk here. Review.

Council Estate Electronics - Longmeadow

Justin Broadrick's analog synth project inspired by synthesizer recordings from his younger days. Some good stuff in there, has an improvised feel throughout. Stream the whole thing on bandcamp.

Meeeeeeh! This is like the songs I don't like from Veckatimest repeated for the duration of an entire album. I can say that now after my third listen, this is quite the example of mediocrity.

Just curious, what songs did you like (or dislike, whatever list is shorter) from Veckatimest?

Breton - Blanket Rule Ep - 9/10

Breton - Other People's Problems - 7/10

Buckethead - Buckethead Pikes : 01 - It's Alive - 8/10

Buckethead - Buckethead Pikes : 02 - Empty Space - 7/10

Buckethead - Buckethead Pikes : 03 - 3 Foot Clearance - 8/10

Buckethead - Buckethead Pikes : 04 - Underground Chamber - 6/10

Buckethead - Buckethead Pikes : 05 - Look Up There - 7/10

Buckethead - Buckethead Pikes : 06 - Balloon Cement - 8/10

Edited by Anchio Arch io Son Pittore

Just curious, what songs did you like (or dislike, whatever list is shorter) from Veckatimest?

The songs I REALLY like are:

Two Weeks

Cheerleader

Ready, Able

About Face

White You Wait for the Others (least liked of the set)

Foreground

Edited by sidewinder

Lol, I have inverse taste to you in regards to that album then. Southern Point and All We Ask are my favorites.

Guess I'll check out In Ear Park, unless it's at all like the track "Fine For Now".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yea, guess I'll review some albums.

Villain Accelerate - Maid of Gold

Jel - Soft Money

I have the same opinion on both of these. Nice hip-hop beats and instrumentation, but nothing remotely ground-breaking. Good chill out background beats. 6 or 7 out of 10 or something.

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

Hadn't heard this band prior, but I like the sound of it. Bunch of rocky electronic drone singing stuff. The lead singers voice got a little whiney at times, but whatever. Can't rate it yet.

Odd Nosdam - Vol. 9

There are some pretty funky tracks in here. Kind of sounds like a B-Sides to the T.I.M.E. soundtrack, except following his usual sound more. Can't rate it yet.

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Eating Us

Such a nice album. The album seems to always compliment a fucking wonderful day coupled with being stoned. 8/10. Although the first half of the album is a 10, especially Twin of Myself.

Tubeway Army - Replicas

This is some quality Gary Numan. Can't rate it yet.

Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things

I'm trying to push through Squarepusher's discography, since he's a big deal around these parts and the only thing I've ever listened to extensively previous to this was Venus No. 17. This albums is good, but it gets kind of old/dull as I listened through. 5/10.

eels - Rotten World Blues EP

Great tracks that completely compliment their Souljacker album, which is full of fantastic rock songs (and some sensitive sounding shit that sounds right out of a Scrubs montage). 7 out of 8

Edited by Murveman