IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Medeski Martin and Wood - End of the World Party (Just In Case)

The first album I bought (though my Mom and I split the difference). It's a fantastic lively fusion of future jazz-inspired brilliance one moment, and then haunting Hammond organ and bass the next. I always skipped a track on the album, but this time I decided not to, and I loved it. I love when that happens.

Aphex Twin - Melodies From Mars

My brother recently arranged Track 10 for his highschool band, and I saw them perform it. My girlfriend taped it, and I deleted it by accident. In regards to the album, still good, as everyone already knows.

mum - Finally We Are No One

I got this album because I liked track 3 (we have a map of the piano) on that fake Hooper Bay album that was floating around. The whole album is good.

C418 - The Minecraft Records

All good. Someone has it up for free on youtube. You don't have to be a minecraft fan to appreciate his music.

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Them Crooked Vultures reminds me of this album so much. Especially Scumbag Blues vs. Strange Brew.

Gang of Four - Entertainment!

kaini got me into this album, and I'm grateful. Good stuff.

All of these albums are 8,9, or 10/10

Same, so many memories associated with that song.

Man, multiplayer minecraft is weird. I don't think I had ever lost myself so much in a game before than when I was playing in that first watmm server.

Grizzly Bear - Shields - 7/10 - Very good so far. Only a few listens and it's improved each time. I'm sure the rating will improve. There's 3 cracking tracks that stand out for me though.

Aesop Rock - Skelethon - 6/10 - Need to listen more but it doesn't jump out at me too much like previous work.

Four Tet - Pink - 7/10 - Very good album. Will enjoy again.

Konx-Om-Pax - Regional Surrealism - 7/10 - Lovely stuff to sit and think to.

Clark - Fantasm Planes EP - 8/10 - Really enjoying this. Possibly more than the album

Chilly Gonzales - Solo Piano 2 - 7/10 - Some great piano right here.

Gaslamp Killer - Breakthrough - 7.5/10 - Requires more listening but good so far.

Guest dylanmcknd

I've recently been listening to team doyobi. I had heard of them, being on skam and all, but i hadn't listened or bought any of their albums yet, I liked it alot

Choose Your Own Adventure-8.5

Orch.V-7.5

The Kphanic Fragments-8.5

The Gaslamp Killer - Breakthrough (2012)

I've given this a few listens and enjoy it quite a bit. It may not reach anything higher than the 7.5/10 assigned by spratters above, though. Really great sounds throughout, and I'm enjoying the Middle Eastern vibe on several tracks. My favorite must be "Nissim" at this point.

The Sufis - The Sufis (2012)

Quite nice psychedelic rock channeling early Pink Floyd. Only my second listen so far, so I'll go with 7/10 for now.

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city (2012)

I don't listen to much new hip-hop but this was being raved about by some friends on another music forum so I had to check it out. It's a bit more mainstream than what I normally go for, but I think the production is great and the story is interesting. Two listens in so far, and I plan to get more familiar with it. 7/10

Clark - Totems Flare (2009)

When it first came out, I liked it but felt it was a bit uneven and wasn't sure about Clark using vocals in his music. I've listened to it plenty of times by now and it's almost time for me to consider it my favorite work of his. Or at least it's equal to Body Riddle in quality, offering a much different vibe. 9/10

Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (1966)

I think it's my favorite from them. I used to think it was Bridge Over Troubled Water, but after revising all the studio albums this week and last, I think it's this one. Just perfect folk pop/rock. Really you can't go wrong with any of the four albums, my only complaint would be the weird talking parts in Bookends. 9/10

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (2011)

People seemed to really go crazy for this when it came out. I kind of feel the same way about it now after a handful of listens as I did the first time...it's not bad. Granted it's better than the preceding album White Chalk, but I liked Uh Huh Her and Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea better, if we're looking at just the most recent ones. 7/10

Bauhaus - In the Flat Field (1980)

I've always known about Bauhaus but hadn't listened to them until this year for some reason. Maybe I just wasn't interested in gothic stuff for a while...a long while. But post-punk I'm into on and off. Anyway I started with The Sky's Gone Out and it was quite different from what I expected. Then I tried this one and liked it more. I'm about three listens in now, it's good stuff and worthy of an occasional listen going forward. I should also revisit The Sky's Gone Out soon. 7/10

Allah-Las - Allah-Las (2012)

Pretty fantastic 60s revival garage rock with some surf thrown in. Feels authentic versus trying-too-hard revival. Vocal tracks with a few laid back surf instrumentals thrown in. 8/10

Listened to Radiohead's album Amnesiac today. Hearing a bit from Packt Like Sardines In A Crushed Tin Box on NPR made me do so.

Pyramid Song is one of Radiohead's best songs ever, even after nearly 12 years since the album's release. So chilling, yet beautiful.

Binärpilot - Songs for Alan Turing: I was disappointed in his last album, but these 3 tracks are fantastic. The first one is reminiscent of Kavinki's Nightcall (mostly because of the minor key and gruff vocoder) and the other two are fantastic. The EP (and all of his music) is free, go get it.

Alexander Tucker - Third Mouth: Some pretty dramatic music from Thrill Jockey I believe (so it's experimental indie stuff). I can't remember what it reminded me of, but it reminded me of something good.

Object Beings - Object Beings: More anticon, this time Doseone, The Pedestrian, and Yoni (why?). The actual musical tracks are nice, but I'm not too crazy about the spoken word/random noise tracks.

Just found out the band Why? and Odd Nosdam collaborated under the name Miss Ohio's Nameless (which is one of Why?'s greatest songs in my opinion) in 2001. Can't wait to give it a listen.

Just found out the band Why? and Odd Nosdam collaborated under the name Miss Ohio's Nameless (which is one of Why?'s greatest songs in my opinion) in 2001. Can't wait to give it a listen.

That's funny, I just found out yesterday that the two collaborated as Reaching Quiet. I haven't heard of Miss Ohio's Nameless.

Aesop Rock - Skelethon. THIS IS AWESOME. i bought it at the local record store after listening to it a couple times. Great beats, obscure lyrics. Been reading the hidden meaning on rapgenius.com. 2nd favorite album this year against Swans - The Seer

9/10. 9 for a few weak tracks near the end

Bola - Soup - Definitely one of my all time favorites, 10/10 Lush and unique

Autechre - Amber and Kalpol Introl from Incu - 10/10 also lush and awesome

John Van Tongeren - The Outer Limits Score - Amazing since I love TOL, and this score puts me right back into it.

End - Science/Fiction - Also one of the old classics with a nice atmosphere.

Elegi - Sistereis - My favorite of his, find it better than Varde

Codec Scovill - Clinical Imperfections - Awesome dark ambient stuff I hadn't heard in a while

000 - Aether Dynamic cool

That's funny, I just found out yesterday that the two collaborated as Reaching Quiet. I haven't heard of Miss Ohio's Nameless.

Ha, those Anticon boys collaborate so much. I'm always finding new stuff I never knew existed by them. Reaching Quiet is fantastic. It's Nosdam's old style of beatmaking and Yoni rapping. A lot of gems in the one album.

Miss Ohio's Nameless - Miss Ohio's Nameless: I didn't realize that this was from 2001, I assumed it would be from the mid-2000's since that's when Why? released the song Miss Ohio's Nameless. It sounds more like they're goofing off vs. making anything serious (if you've heard Greenthink, think that). There are a couple of goodies though. It's worth a listen if you're a fanboy.

Rarney Bubble - Gluestick EP: A great NDC album off of Sup's label. Like everything New Digital Cool, it's free, so you might as well download it. First three tracks are super chill, and then Double Zipper is funky as hell. http://www.arribamusica.com/

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief: Listened to this for the first time, and then again, this week. I never have really cared for much Radiohead other then In Rainbows and Thom Yorke's solo stuff (Creep and similar tracks have always bored me), but this album was great. Guess I need to sift through their discog.

Neil Young - Trans: About every 4 years I get obsessed with this album for a while. This was Neil's New Wave album, and it is the cream of the crop. The vocodor and its harmonies are ridiculously beautiful (Sennheiser of some sort). 10/10

The chorus of this song makes me swoon. It's a pretty eerie concept, and I suppose we're halfway there with the invention of custom real dolls

I'd listen from the beginning, but the chorus starts at 1:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ho8n4LCFs

Listened to Four Tets Pink today. It's a good album I'd say 7/10 but something about his music for me, never gets elevated to 'great' status, I don't know why. Anyway its well worth your money.

Edited by beerwolf

Battles - Mirrored

I know I'm about five years late on this but I found it recently & am quite digging it. Shame the vocalist left after this album - the weird pitchshifted singing is by far my favourite element, & when I was first listening to Atlas to decide if I should check them out, that was what pushed it from "p.good tribalish math rock" to "omg this is amazon"

R-3902357-1348704400-8408.jpeg

Various - Personal Space Electronic Soul 1974-1984

Lovely compilation with some obscure electronic soul/jazz/funk/blues/disco tracks. Can't really put a single genre on it. I haven't really heard anything like it before, so I quite enjoyed it.

7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMTBMCJgYxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvQi_mSfi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1tXetyYp8

Edited by Npoess

Freescha - Lift E.P. - It's perfect for the winter months (though we don't have any snow here yet). I've listened to this album so much this year. 10/10

The Caretaker - Extra Patience (After Sebald) = Really good Caretaker. All of his recent albums under the name have been wonderful. 8.5/10

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Charlie Brown Christmas = I have no idea why I didn't download years ago. 10/10

A Bunch of Boards of Canada Live Shows = Cool. That Disengage Radio Show has p. cool quality. And I like how the intro of Red Moss plays again at the end of the track. I wish they'd release that album proper. I want a nice recording of Rodox Video.

Soundgarden - King Animal - 7/10

After 16 years they got together and released an album. My expectation of it was that it is going to be another grunge insanity. And you won't believe it, but it's more pop, than grunge. This is a good album, it has some quite good tracks on it, for instance,

Bones of Birds, Blood On The Valley Floor. It has highlights, and there are pretty good riffs on this thing, good singing by Chris Cornell, but the songs aren't, well let's say, powerful enough. It isn't a bad album, far away from that, but it just leaves me unimpressed. The only thing that is better than their previous efforts is the production done by Adam Kasper, but nothing more.

Deftones - Koi No Yokan - 9.4/10

I've never been a huge fan of Deftones. I liked 'em because they weren't the typical nu-metal band. They always had great instrumentation, a variate vocal range and great lyrics. I've heard they dropped this LP, and before they did, only thing I heard about it was the song Rosemary. For some reason it blew me away. So I had a pretty good reason to check out this album.

My god, this is one of the best releases this year. Important thing is that, there are no filler tracks! Every one is special and it is beautiful in it's own way. Great production, great playing, great atmosphere, great songs, great lyrics, great singing. There are so many fantastic moments on here. The tape-like overdriven guitar intro in Rosemary with really soft pads, every single moment in Poltergeist that has an unusual chord-progressioned chorus and which, for some, reason remains my favorite track from this LP. Then bassline in Swerve City, the guitar part in Romantic Dreams, the chorus in Leathers, soft song Entombed, then Tempest..

The whole album is amazing, and I recommend it strongly.

Isis - Live 5 - 9/10

They've played this performance on a festival on which each band had to perform one of their albums. Isis was asked to play their 2002 LP "Oceanic". They've outdone themselves with this performance, and it is special to me because Oceanic brought me into Isis and I am still thinking is Panopticon or Oceanic better. Honorable mention to Justin Broadrick who did a great job on the production (with Aaron Harris), considering he usually does unusual production, especially for Jesu.

Isis - Live 6 - 9/10

This one is probably their best Live album, and at the same time - most various when it's up to albums. They've played songs from Oceanic, Panopticon, Celestial, The Read Sea EP, In The Absence For Truth, The Mosquito Control EP...

A breath-taking performance that appears to be released as Isis' last live album (so far). Aaron Harris makes great mixes, that's for sure and it is the same case with this LP, but it's really important to mention James Plotkin, who has done a wonderful mastering for this live album and gave it another dimension.

If These Trees Could Talk - The Red Forrest - 9/10

Sadly, this isn't quite a well known band. They play this post-rock thing, which performance includes: drums, bass and three guitars with loads of pedals. I found out of this band when my great friend and my band's manager sent me this album with the comment "Neat post-rock album". If it weren't this little masterpiece, I wouldn't even get into a lot of great bands I'm into right now. All I can say about this album is that it's amazing, and it takes the listener to a whole new dimension. Great jams, great music, and great production. Warm recommendation.

Jesu - Jesu - 9/10

This album is as original as it gets. Probably, the main reason for it is that it is made by Justin Broadrick who invented a new genre, so originality and innovation aren't a weird thing when you have Justin in question. As I mentioned up there that he does unusual production, this album proves it. Sludgy guitars, orchestration, ambient effects, slow tempo, beautiful vocal melodies.. Basically everything you need to know about this album is to, just listen to the first track of it.

Edited by TVHEAD

Soundgarden - King Animal - 7/10

After 16 years they got together and released an album. My expectation of it was that it is going to be another grunge insanity. And you won't believe it, but it's more pop, than grunge. This is a good album, it has some quite good tracks on it, for instance,

Bones of Birds, Blood On The Valley Floor. It has highlights, and there are pretty good riffs on this thing, good singing by Chris Cornell, but the songs aren't, well let's say, powerful enough. It isn't a bad album, far away from that, but it just leaves me unimpressed. The only thing that is better than their previous efforts is the production done by Adam Kasper, but nothing more.

Deftones - Koi No Yokan - 9.4/10

I've never been a huge fan of Deftones. I liked 'em because they weren't the typical nu-metal band. They always had great instrumentation, a variate vocal range and great lyrics. I've heard they dropped this LP, and before they did, only thing I heard about it was the song Rosemary. For some reason it blew me away. So I had a pretty good reason to check out this album.

My god, this is one of the best releases this year. Important thing is that, there are no filler tracks! Every one is special and it is beautiful in it's own way. Great production, great playing, great atmosphere, great songs, great lyrics, great singing. There are so many fantastic moments on here. The tape-like overdriven guitar intro in Rosemary with really soft pads, every single moment in Poltergeist that has an unusual chord-progressioned chorus and which, for some, reason remains my favorite track from this LP. Then bassline in Swerve City, the guitar part in Romantic Dreams, the chorus in Leathers, soft song Entombed, then Tempest..

The whole album is amazing, and I recommend it strongly.

Isis - Live 5 - 9/10

They've played this performance on a festival on which each band had to perform one of their albums. Isis was asked to play their 2002 LP "Oceanic". They've outdone themselves with this performance, and it is special to me because Oceanic brought me into Isis and I am still thinking is Panopticon or Oceanic better. Honorable mention to Justin Broadrick who did a great job on the production (with Aaron Harris), considering he usually does unusual production, especially for Jesu.

Isis - Live 6 - 9/10

This one is probably their best Live album, and at the same time - most various when it's up to albums. They've played songs from Oceanic, Panopticon, Celestial, The Read Sea EP, In The Absence For Truth, The Mosquito Control EP...

A breath-taking performance that appears to be released as Isis' last live album (so far). Aaron Harris makes great mixes, that's for sure and it is the same case with this LP, but it's really important to mention James Plotkin, who has done a wonderful mastering for this live album and gave it another dimension.

If These Trees Could Talk - The Red Forrest - 9/10

Sadly, this isn't quite a well known band. They play this post-rock thing, which performance includes: drums, bass and three guitars with loads of pedals. I found out of this band when my great friend and my band's manager sent me this album with the comment "Neat post-rock album". If it weren't this little masterpiece, I wouldn't even get into a lot of great bands I'm into right now. All I can say about this album is that it's amazing, and it takes the listener to a whole new dimension. Great jams, great music, and great production. Warm recommendation.

Jesu - Jesu - 9/10

This album is as original as it gets. Probably, the main reason for it is that it is made by Justin Broadrick who invented a new genre, so originality and innovation aren't a weird thing when you have Justin in question. As I mentioned up there that he does unusual production, this album proves it. Sludgy guitars, orchestration, ambient effects, slow tempo, beautiful vocal melodies.. Basically everything you need to know about this album is to, just listen to the first track of it.

Nice reviews, straight and to the point. Good work Squire.