IGNORED

Vatican Shadow - September Cell EP

Redruth

"Noise pin-up (and clippings fiend) Dominick Fernow is more likely to be found stamping his feet than putting them up. Fernow already helms the punishing Hospital Productions label, which puts out much of his voluminous output alongside all manner of noise/metal curiosities. He’s about to add to his paperwork with a new imprint, the cheerily titled Bed Of Nails – which will in fact be part of Boomkat’s ever-expanding family of labels, joining the likes of Modern Love, Type, Young Americans, Digitalis and History Always Favours The Winners, as well as the recently established The Death Of Rave and VCR. If his first release on Bed Of Nails is anything to go by, Fernow will be using the outlet to explore more rhymthic structures than Prurient aficionados might be used to."

"NAIL001 will be from Fernow himself, under his gyratory Vatican Shadow moniker. The four-track September Cell EP will arrive in June. This year’s Kneel Before Religious Icons rerelease reminded us what a potent force the Vatican Shadow project is, a pounding exercise in politically engaged industrial groove. The record is cut at Dubplates & Mastering in Berlin, and strictly limited to 700 copies. ‘September Cell’ is due on June 18."

http://www.factmag.com/2012/05/21/dominick-fernow-launches-new-label-announces-vatican-shadow-12/

better be good, that recent sum clique thingy on modern love was for the bin

After I read Maurizio Bianchi as a comparison I got a real appetite on it but realised soon it's only noise for noise sake.

I'm really on the VC train. The last one on Blackest Ever Black is really excellent. Normally Regis has some pretty quality nuances in his remixes but that he done for VC was every bit a killer.

Looking forward to it. I wish he would use a less provocative photowork………

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah we saw this guy open for Demdike in LA. He was really spazzing out to his own stuff. Believe it was actually billed as his first live performance. Can't say I cared for it.

I keep wondering why Boomkat is pushing this guy but then you come to find out they're setting him up to release on one of their own labels.

yeah haha, Boomkat seems to want to commodify and put in neat small packages the post industrial aesthetic. First Demdike stare who is essentially a new Contagious ORgasm, then Vatican Shadow who is essentially Muslimgauze light

i dont know how i really feel about it since they both make good music, ijust dont think Boomkat has the teeth or the balls to be putting out music with a truly industrial edge. they just want to sell records

They couldn't possibly like the music if they are pushing him and putting his music on their label.

you have a strange way of understanding the way people make statements. This isn't a zero sum game. Boomkat can simultaneously like an artist on their own label and also want to sell a lot of their records separate from this reason. Clearly, and no one who goes on boomkat frequently can deny this, that they hype the stuff on their own label much more than anything else. They also dont make it very clear that Moden Love is a subsidiary of Boomkat, probably because it would be slightly embarrassing to have this displayed in big letters, since it's so obvious they want to push their own goods more than anyone elses.

They couldn't possibly like the music if they are pushing him and putting his music on their label.

you have a strange way of understanding the way people make statements. This isn't a zero sum game. Boomkat can simultaneously like an artist on their own label and also want to sell a lot of their records separate from this reason. Clearly, and no one who goes on boomkat frequently can deny this, that they hype the stuff on their own label much more than anything else. They also dont make it very clear that Moden Love is a subsidiary of Boomkat, probably because it would be slightly embarrassing to have this displayed in big letters, since it's so obvious they want to push their own goods more than anyone elses.

they do hype other records in their writings though, i never read much of them just listen.

i like this record, i think its a good one of his and i've bought it.

better be good, that recent sum clique thingy on modern love was for the bin

After I read Maurizio Bianchi as a comparison I got a real appetite on it but realised soon it's only noise for noise sake.

I'm really on the VC train. The last one on Blackest Ever Black is really excellent. Normally Regis has some pretty quality nuances in his remixes but that he done for VC was every bit a killer.

Looking forward to it. I wish he would use a less provocative photowork………

aye thats exactly what i thought of it, noise for noise sake.

on VC i think he's stepped back a bit on the imagery for this one which is for the best. good record this one

Muslimgauze

we need more of muslimgauze sound. i don't think muslimgauze can be compared. maybe. heh, after all, staalplaat and soleilmoon still have yet to release half his work

[youtubehd]sSAf18ADIpw[/youtubehd]

I'm just not sure why thats important or relevant. Theres plenty of stuff on boomkat that I don't like, but I don't attribute that to marketing reasons... just subjective differences in taste. Seemed like he was taking a cheap shot at this music by claiming the only reason they are recommending VT releases is for profit. Which could be true, but I happen to love most of VT releases, so its kind of irrelevant in the big scheme of things. Capitalism innit

• 2 months later...

Well I remember that someone wrote about boomkats Album/EP of the week and the rapid changes in the display. Even when they have a truly excellent winner in their own sense it vanished a few days later for another excellent album.

If I would be the artist, I would normally say- hey, you hyped me and now there is another one coming along the way and I get kicked to the lower ranks in display.

I think boomkat is (exactly my opinion what Awepittance wrote) not a nice virtual record store displaying the stuff they like most in bright sunshine light for the customers, they really want to sell.

Sometimes I feel a sour taste when I read some of there reviews. Nearly ALL new stuff is "highly recommended", "ace", "killer" or a "DO NOT MISS!" or whatever.

The point in hyping up their own stuff is something I fully agree. Yep, that Modern Love is from boomkat is something they really do not bring up in big letters.

back to the record here: I got the tape edition after I have seen that the LP was out. Paying a little sum for it it arrived perfect over here, but the inlay was only disappointing- take a cheap paper, xerox the artwork (in a not that great quality) on both sides accurately and glue a papersheet on both sides of the tape for A-B reference.

I never got releases from Hospital Productions so I wonder if they look the same. Seems they care more about the vinyl editions on Bed Of Nails Compound.

Yeah we saw this guy open for Demdike in LA. He was really spazzing out to his own stuff. Believe it was actually billed as his first live performance. Can't say I cared for it.

i went to a live show of his once in new york and he had his back to the audience the entire time and people were shouting "turn around!!"

and i think boomkat loves this guy because he's the posterchild for the noise scene.

Archived