IGNORED

Terrence Malick - To The Wonder

Redruth

"The story centers on a man, played by Ben Affleck, who travels to Paris and enters a passionate affair with a European woman (Olga Kurylenko). He returns home, where he marries the European woman (in part for visa reasons) but then the relationship starts to fall apart. He winds up rekindling a romance with a hometown girl (Rachel McAdams) with whom he’s had a long history. What’s more exciting is that early word on the film said it was even more experimental than mixed-reviewed The Tree Of Life. It’s certainly not short on stars with the cast also including Javier Bardem, Barry Pepper, Rachel Weisz, Michael Sheen and, potentially, a cameo from Jessica Chastain."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1595656/

http://filmophilia.c...-to-the-wonder/

Guest zaphod

god i fucking hate jessica chastain. so weird how the film community just decided she's the go to boring honky in thoughtful pictures from auteur directors who are past their prime.

lol, someone take away Malick's camera, it's for his own good :emotawesomepm9:

hahaha! yes...

Give PT an extra one...

MASTER BLASTER

god i fucking hate jessica chastain. so weird how the film community just decided she's the go to boring honky in thoughtful pictures from auteur directors who are past their prime.

Yeah man, she ruined 'Take Shelter' for me....

and 'TTOL' is almost as extremely self-indulgent as Lynch's 'Inland Empire', at least they both have nice visual elements for projecting behind a dj while they are playing this:

Guest zaphod

no she is not. she is plain and boring and has no acting ability at all. her success is a total mystery to me. she is bland and seems to represent some kind of archetypal white suburban female whose blandness has been mistaken for depth and i sort of think the only way i could be interested in watching her on film would be in a dp scene on brazzers.

those pictures don't really show how beautiful jessica chastain is. i just watched 'the debt' recently, which lacked quality as a film but she was quite good. i go bit mad for her, she reminds me of a woman i once knew, years back, who has always been unavailable to me, and for good reason, she has her own family and i would never involve myself with a woman who has a child with another or who is married but i still lust for her

lost me at ben affleck

I thought the same thing about Colin Farrell in the New World....maybe Malick will take a similar tactic in this one...give Affleck about four lines of dialogue over three hours.

To be clear, I actually didn't mind Farrell in the New World because of this.

My dentures fell out while reading this and I slipped and had a fall.

I only read John Grisham novels.

and Danielle Steel, she is so good.

Where is my blood pressure medicine?

"The story centers on a man, played by Ben Affleck...

seinfeld.gif

the part I loled at was "enters into a passionate affair with an Eastern European woman". Malick wouldn't know non-religious passion if it bit him in the ass. Unless it involved guiltily wanking into your mum's wedding dress and then tossing it in the river...

"The story centers on a man, played by Ben Affleck...

seinfeld.gif

the part I loled at was "enters into a passionate affair with an Eastern European woman". Malick wouldn't know non-religious passion if it bit him in the ass. Unless it involved guiltily wanking into your mum's wedding dress and then tossing it in the river...

huh? Sorry lumpy, I gotta disagree with you here. Sure, The Tree of Life was filled with religious platitudes and symbolism, but he has always maintained a very strong spiritualist visual motif beyond that movie, and certainly beyond religion. I mean, when I was watching ToL, the last thing I thought about was "Oh man, religion is deep.", but rather how Malick could use detatched visuals and hazy memory-collages as a completely relational experience that transcended any religious aspect. Just how beautiful the memories of life can be, very generic in concept, but the execution was something else (save the dinosaurs and the ending, those parts were fucking horrible).

I mean, The New World (still probably my fave Malick movie) had religious connotations and certainly historically necessary, but the actual love story was far more naturalist-the newfound love reflected the mystery and awe/respect for a completely foreign landscape. I dunno, just how I feel.

I mean, I had a long conversation with some of my friends after seeing ToL, and of course we were very polarized, either loved it or hated it. The only conclusion that we came to was that Malick bases a lot of his films (basically post-Badlands) off of purely sensory experience and the emotional dialogue we self-create as a result. I think the people who loved ToL and a lot of other Malick movies enjoy seeing the similarities, the underpinning emotional resonance reach out and react with the viewer's own experience...again, in a really cheesy way, ToL was in parts a transcendent viewing experience for me, because it felt like I was not only watching parts of my own childhood and upbringing on a screen; I was also feeling past experiences over again, and immensely so.

I think some people just don't react that way to Malick's films, and hence you immediately see it as overwrought art-wank fest. Don't get me wrong, Im not saying this like some chin-stroking ivory tower auteur theorist, I'm just saying that I think I can understand why certain people react positively to it, and certainly some understanding as to why it can be hated.

• 3 months later...

Archived