IGNORED

Looking for good metal/doom/sludge *without* ridiculous vocals.

Guest carthief

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[media=]

[/media]

this cover art gives me a huge boner

I too appreciate the Rubenesque pagan ladies adoring the cover- not just in an aesthetically erection-inducing way but the style and colors overall. :emotawesomepm9: It's like the work of Mucha with a darker vibe.

Artist is John Dyer Baizley, frontman of that band. His site is here.

I've been listening to Aereogramme recently; I decided to finally check them out after enjoying the awesome Isis/Aereogramme split:

They're a bit emo sounding but I think the melodic vocals are a nice touch when the music gets heavy.

I've been listening to Aereogramme recently; I decided to finally check them out after enjoying the awesome Isis/Aereogramme split:

[media=]

[/media]

They're a bit emo sounding but I think the melodic vocals are a nice touch when the music gets heavy.

Yeah, this is very 1990s/early 2000s indie emo. Kinda leaves me wanting to listen to The Promise Ring or Mineral more than anything I'd consider metal, though.

Oh shit just heard the last bit, yeah it's kinda skramzy too. But not something I'd call metal.

Yeah they're pretty mellow most of the time. I love the heavy parts though. I agree, not exactly metal but definitely worth checking out, imo.

Black Tusk (fairly newcomers to the scene, but damn I love what these guys have put out)

Kylesa (fuck yeah two drummers!)

High On Fire (Matt Pike's gravelly growl is perfect for the music)

A Storm Of Light (less vocals, more atmospheric doom, fans of Isis should check these guys)

Stonebride (lesser mentioned but great stuff)

Grey Daturas (dark, noisy doom, pretty much instrumental)

I'll have to plug in my external HD tomorrow and report back with some lesser known reccomendations...

Guest couch

Katatonia might be up your alley. I like Last Fair Deal Gone Down the most. It has a very gloomy vibe so I don't listen to it much though.

Haha, I always associate Katatonia with Paradise Lost; simply because a friend of mine loves both bands and always plays both to me every time we have a listening session.

Guest couch

Yah I see, or hear rather, the similarities. I associated Katatonia with Opeth because of Bloodbath and Mike being friends w/ them.

Guest Backson

John Baizley is a fucking boss in all manner of ways.

probably one of my favourite non-electronic musicians.

Guest Backson

the baroness new one is quite different

less metal, more rock from what I hear.

also, just remebered I'm wearing a "Blue Record" shirt right now. Dope.

I saw Baroness open for Isis at Manning Bar last time they were here (last time ever, now). I made a mental note to look into them but never got round to it.

it did piss me off though that some smelly stereotypical metalheads were up front and pseudo-moshing and headbanging throughout Baroness but promptly left when Isis came on. who even does that? it's like making a delicious sandwich, removing the crust and then eating the fucking crust.

I saw a bit of Baroness' set at Soundwave one time, but had to leave because the treble was so fucking loud! It's a shame because they're pretty great.

+ I'm glad nobody was moshing when I saw Isis that same day, I managed to get right up the front and enjoy them without meatheads jumping into me (the keyboard player had an Autechre sticker on his synth!). Meshuggah played almost immediately after them, however, and as soon as they hit the first note, everyone started moving so violently that I had to get out of there!

Blotted Science is an instrumental technical death metal supergroup headed by Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink), bassist Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) and drummer Hannes Grossmann (Obscura, ex-Necrophagist). They started out under the name Machinations of Dementia, but after the departure of drummer Chris Adler, the band changed their name to Blotted Science.

[youtubehd]nEgN5Y5mS9s[/youtubehd]

• 2 years later...

Just discovered Bongripper who fit this premise perfectly. Mainly instrumental long jams with the odd bit of heart wrenching screaming as mainly backing sounds. Awesome work!

http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/album/satan-worshipping-doom

Loads of stuff on their band camp

Been listening to a shitload of doom/sludge in my absence away from this site... lets see some favorites from this year and a few from 2013...

Coffinworm - IV.I.VIII

Conan - Blood Eagle

Crowbar - Symmetry In Black

Funeral Circle - S/T

Inter Arma - Sky Burial

Limb - S/T

Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Thou - Heathen

Windhand - Soma (if you dig Electric Wizard definitely check this one)

also new Pallbearer comes out next month (they're fucking amazing) and Electric Wizard has a new one announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVS8aCa8qUs

Wow, this thread has given us all a bunch of gems. I'm definitely going to give Pallbearer and Windhand a listen at some point^^

Strictly instrumentals, Karma to Burn are highly rated. Although they sit near to this genre, more Stoner Rock driven but I started from these type of guys and then got into the doom/sludge thing afterwards so it's all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtwEETpdVII

Archived