IGNORED

Thrift Store Finds

soma333

I once got some shoes made of some kind of animal hair at a charity shop for a fancy dress pub crawl.

Also my first ever tape pack was purchased at a car boot sale for £2.

Been digging through cassette tapes in local thrift stores. Finding some weird shit lately, need to upload the audio and take pics of some of the tapes I've found. I don't consider myself too hooked: otherwise I'd be on craigslist way more and hitting up garage sales.

Back in high school and college I was a sucker for buying tees: some of my favorite t-shirts I wear now were bought for 50-99 cents years and years ago. It's a joy finding a graphic tee as neat as anything Urban Outfitters is selling for $30+ in a rack full of free 5k run shirts.

Even though Austin has a plethora of thrift stores I find myself going to Goodwill and Half Price Books a lot. Often a lot more to dig through. Otherwise, many of the local thrift stores have limited (albeit practical) supply or they're "vintage" stores with solid but pricey (or even way overpriced) selections.

back in my raver days (early/mid 90s) I frequented thrift shops a lot. I used to get a bunch of ringer tees back then.

Jerseys were pretty cool back then too. I had one of those old school 70s/80s Phillies jerseys that was a favorite of mine.

My best find was a two disc package of Ministry's Psalm 69 and The Mind's a Terrible Thing to Taste for $3.99 at Value Village. I don't even think that's supposed to exist, but I found it.

My friend found Chad Vangaalen's Infiniheart CD in Salvation Army the day after he told me about his music, total fluke. So he bought it for me.

Probably my most random find was a Jaga Jazzist CD in a store that sold mostly antiques. Prior to that I had never seen it in store anywhere.

Guest disparaissant

i got my 80s era technics receiver from st. vincent's for 7 bucks

my pioneer speakers from goodwill for 30 bucks

my sony tape deck from goodwill for 5 bucks

a still-sealed copy of meatloaf's 'bat out of hell' for 25 cents at a no name thrift store in rice lake, wisconsin

loads of records, really. mostly bad and interesting stuff. like meco's star wars disco, or

and my friend got an atari 2600 and a box full of games for 5 bucks from a lutheran thrift store in shawano, wisconsin

it was labelled 20 bucks but there was no way to test it

so he said "i'll give you 5 bucks for this"

and the lady was like "haha, what are you, a jew?"

and he was like

"as a matter of fact, i am."

(he really is, though non-practicing)

and she was so ashamed of her bald-faced racism at that point that she let him have it for 5

My best find was a two disc package of Ministry's Psalm 69 and The Mind's a Terrible Thing to Taste for $3.99 at Value Village. I don't even think that's supposed to exist, but I found it.

Haha, I remember buying a pack that also included The Land of Rape and Honey when I was 16. The CDs were in their original packaging, inside a generic box. Odd!

I think yek hit the nail on the head there. The bigger the city, the better the finds.

That being said, Calgary is a pretty big city (1.2 million pop) but the thrift stores here are pretty much just old clothes and kids toys. At least, thats when I have looked. Perhaps there are some gems hidden in them, not sure. All things considered it is a fairly affluent city so it would make sense that some expensive or good stuff trickles down into the thrift chains. I remember my mom saying she nabbed a 300$ pair of jeans for 20$ once

That's because Calgary is a cultural wasteland.

i got red cassette disney's the little mermaid audiobook and 2 c90s with cheesy trance the other day. cool stuff. and hardcover the regulators by bachman/king for less than a dollar.

the greatest finds must be these tshirts, though:

171389.jpg?1338688031

p1120_big.jpg

Archived