IGNORED

Google Maps soon completely in 3D on mobile devices

o00o

Wonder how the 3D compares to the new thing Apple is adding to iOS to replace Google Maps.

It's almost irrelevant because regardless, Maps will wipe its ass with whatever Apple shovels out because of its superior integration with services and account data, etc. No way Apple can catch up with that.

i'm more enthused about offline maps.

That's yesterday's news man - http://googleblog.bl...to-labs-in.html . I've got almost the entirety of London saved on to my lil Micro SD (somehow)

But if it's downloaded onto your device, isn't that offline?[/pedantic]

Eventually the Earth will be completely virtual I bet. You'll be able to fly around cities, map out the scenic and relevant things you want to go to on your travels.

How sterile and inorganic. How safe.

i'm more enthused about offline maps.

That's yesterday's news man - http://googleblog.bl...to-labs-in.html . I've got almost the entirety of London saved on to my lil Micro SD (somehow)

that's the labs feature. this offline maps support will be a bit more comprehensive than just saving a 10 mile radius tile, at least that's what Google is leading is to believe.

Is there a way to download Google Map tiles offline for the Iphone without breaking it?

there are several apps that do it but not the google maps app itsself.

offline maps? are you planning on cancelling your mobile internet?

It's for when you're in areas without 3G, 4G or wifi access innit.

Yeah exactly, like motorways...you know GORDO, the time you're most likely to want to use satnav.

Dunno about you but I don't usually find myself in random motorways unless it's a for a trip I already planned in advance (for which I most likely already researched up the routes and shit, or rented a GPS thing), I usually need maps for when I am in/need to get to a part of the city I'm not familiar with, but I do live in a big city so I guess that's just me.

I do see the convenience of having an offline version I just wouldn't find it that useful.

Archived