IGNORED

What is your favorite 80s album?

Rubin Farr

I'm not criticizing. Almost everyone I know falls all over the Cure, especially when the topic of 80s albums comes up.

It's ok not to like Robert Smith, right?

the cure are shit, period. well, they're half decent.

100% favorite? probably something by the Pixies. to be fair My Life in the Bush of Ghosts should have come out in the 90s..

They Might Be Giant's first album ?

yea. GREAT band but very take it or leave it

Edited by vamos scorcho

I'm not criticizing. Almost everyone I know falls all over the Cure, especially when the topic of 80s albums comes up.

It's ok not to like Robert Smith, right?

I'm with you!

Woah, what? I thought everyone universally loved The Cure? Just like Talking Heads..

I listened to Disintegration the other day actually; so fucking shoegazey.

I'm not hating too much. I've definitely viewed them as another U2, very corporate, full of shit, etc. Talking Heads at least had some legitimate punk spirit throughout their whole career. The Cure aren't bad, their first few albums are quite good. Don't take my vile hatred at face value, I'm a filthy spirit doubting all things.

Roxy Music on the other hand, fucks sake. Avalon is top 3 at least. Probably will be my #1 by age 30.

Comparing The Cure to U2 in terms of corporateness demonstrates a complete lack of proportion.

That's like Slayer vs. Metallica.

Comparing The Cure to U2 in terms of corporateness demonstrates a complete lack of proportion.

That's like Slayer vs. Metallica.

I know, my comment is mostly meant to frame my depth of ignorance.

Still I'd take mostly any REM record over any Cure record. Less up it's own ass.

Up its own ass is the 80s Zeitgeist.

REM have three or four albums on my top 100 80s albums, too.

Edited by psn

Oh, fuck yes, the production on that album is SUPERB.

The Hurting is really great as well. Pop music was AMAZING in the 80s! So much room for experimentation.

These guys were also great:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9seGsUGvMU[/media]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isBKCIBW8tI[/media]

(can't find anything on youtube except for their pop stuff; they started as a post-punk band and then gradually started experimenting with samplers and synths)

Edited by modey

Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

hi5, was waiting for someone to say this. I think it was their best album. why Al has decided to resurrect Ministry now when their newer material is increasingly subpar is just beyond me. last one I could get into was Houses of the Molé.

if you haven't heard the Buck Satan & The 666 Shooters album, you've missed Al's comeback, album is genius. also agree on Tears For Fears, as well as:

bbl.jpg

Guest jasondonervan

The thing with most of the stuff I listen to from the 80s, is that I mostly tend to just end up listening to all the big chart hits, rather than albums. I blame my sister really - she used to have tons of cassettes of pause button recordings from the top 40 on the radio back then, so maybe that mentality stuck with me. I have got better over the years - it's often the case that there's always one or two hidden gems on an album from the era which weren't deemed catchy/chart-worthy yet show off some really nice production.

If I had to go for just one album, in a desert-island disc situation, it would have to be Queen's first Greatest Hits compilation. It was released in '81 and is mostly comprised of tracks from their 70s era, but dammit if I didn't burn my Dad's cassette copy to incineration on my little ghettoblaster throughout the bulk of the 80s. So many solid, classic Queen tracks, it truly is one of my endearing favourites of all time.

I do love a lot of 80s metal and industrial stuff; I'm just not in the mood to listen to it very often.

I'm exactly the same way. It's not worth listening to if you're not really feeling it.

Ditto! Which ones? I actually like R.E.M. more than U2 overall, though my favourite REM album isn't one of their IRS records.

220px-HuskerDuZenArcade.jpg

Fuck, I'd nominate SST as the best 80s label. Dinosaur Jr., Black Flag, Sonic Youth, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Bad Brains...

The thing with most of the stuff I listen to from the 80s, is that I mostly tend to just end up listening to all the big chart hits, rather than albums. I blame my sister really - she used to have tons of cassettes of pause button recordings from the top 40 on the radio back then, so maybe that mentality stuck with me.

Interesting point. Some listeners are going back to vinyl and even cassettes to "return" to the practice of listening to whole albums, not just skipping around mp3s or browsing youtube. But the fact is, there has always been a large portion of people who only listen to singles throughout the decades, whether it be on the radio, mixtapes, 45's, etc.

Another favorite of mine; faultless album...

Tears_For_Fears.jpg

came here to post the same thing, probably the same jpeg too who knows. fucking great album

Edited by david

Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

hi5, was waiting for someone to say this. I think it was their best album. why Al has decided to resurrect Ministry now when their newer material is increasingly subpar is just beyond me. last one I could get into was Houses of the Molé.

if you haven't heard the Buck Satan & The 666 Shooters album, you've missed Al's comeback, album is genius.

Sweet, wasn't even aware of that project. Al's take on Country. Apparently it's been in existence since the 80's. Yeah I'll definitely be looking into that, thanks!

I think Rape and Honey is still my favorite Ministry album. I haven't liked anything he's done after Psalm 69. Anytime I listen to a new Ministry album I'm blown away by how awful it sounds, but everything he did between '85 and '93 was magic. I guess I should include Twitch on my list too.

As for Kraftwerk, they're probably my favorite band that I haven't caught up with yet. I like everything I've heard from them to the point that I just want to go straight to the box set, which is why I still haven't bought any of their albums. I like knowing that I still have all of Kraftwerk's discography ahead of me to spooge over in the future.

Ditto! Which ones? I actually like R.E.M. more than U2 overall, though my favourite REM album isn't one of their IRS records.

I pretty much dig all their albums up to 1992, but the "college" years are what I consider their most special.

Fuck, I'd nominate SST as the best 80s label. Dinosaur Jr., Black Flag, Sonic Youth, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Bad Brains...

Yeah, absolutely essential.

Ridiculous question, impossible to narrow down to even 20.

However, the one album that is guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes on half the tracks is Paul Simon's Graceland.

However, the one album that is guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes on half the tracks is Paul Simon's Graceland.

Just got into this album, makes me feel fucking amazing after listening to it, like I just took a mentholated shower on a jungle's beach or something.

Rhythm of the saints is a great album too especially the drums and rhythm elements, but I think that came out in 90?