IGNORED

What is your favorite 80s album?

Rubin Farr

REM have three or four albums on my top 100 80s albums, too.

Ditto! Which ones? I actually like R.E.M. more than U2 overall, though my favourite REM album isn't one of their IRS records.

I pretty much dig all their albums up to 1992, but the "college" years are what I consider their most special.

Exactly the same here. Everything up through Automatic. I'm sure our preference for different eras of the work lies in when we heard the albums themselves. Personal nostalgia for the first Warner Brothers releases sets them apart for me. I enjoy the college years just as much as a listener though.

So many albums I've seen mentioned here that would make my top ten list (Eno's Apollo, Paul's Boutique, Graceland among others) Nonetheless remembered a few more...

31354.jpg
00170306_medium.jpeg
Butthole_Surfers_Rembrandt_Front.jpg

^ Any 80s Butthole Surfers album really. Hard to choose one in particular.

Weird_Al_Yankovic_-_In_3-D.jpg

There was a period when I was a kid where I was familiar with more Weird Al parodies than the pop songs themselves. In many cases hearing the originals was a let-down. Of his 80s releases this one is my favourite. Edited by joshuatx

mbv - isn't anything

faith no more - introduce yourself

gnr -appetite for destruction

metallica - master of puppets

public enemy - it takes a nation of millions

david bowie - scary monsters

pixies - doolittle

janes addiction - nothings shocking

paul simon - graceland 

inxs - kick

Edited by J3FF3R00

Maybe Grotesque by The Fall or Wild Planet/Whammy! by The B-52's

B-52s is the only band that actually makes me feel nostalgic about the 80s. Songs like Summer of Love, Whammy Kiss, Strobe Light, Legal Tender (my favorite of theirs) take me back and I actually remember the feelings I had back then. Not even my favorites from that time make me feel that way.

favorite 80's album and what i was actually listening to back then are two different things. Its embarrassing.

I guess Peter Gabriel's So was the most important for me

Impossible to choose but if you put a gun to my head:

541105_10150815643627370_713912369_9550234_605670509_n.jpg

Also Zkreso - awesome choice. Husker Du fucking own. Pretyt much everything they put out up to and including "Candy Apple Grey" is fucking incredible.

Dead Kennedys four albums in the 80s were perfect punk records.

Butthole Surfers 80s output>later stuff (although Pioughd is great)

Man there was so much good music in the 80s.

Fucking Severed Heads oh my god yes!

arrgghh too much to choose from

public enemy - fear of a black planet

1990, isn't it? Technically, considering there is no year zero in our calendear, 1990 is the last year of the 80s. :happy:

public enemy - fear of a black planet

1990, isn't it? Technically, considering there is no year zero in our calendear, 1990 is the last year of the 80s. :happy:

I take it back.

I thought i remembered that it came out in the 80s. That and the House Party soundtrack.

That was also in 90. My bad.

I definitely disqualified a few because they were in 90. I don't believe 1990 counts as the 80s.

Agree with comments on Ministry, their early albums are insane, but I fell out with them with Filth Pig and after that wasn't too bothered.

Big Black and Celtic Frost are excellent nominations

I also have a soft spot for Duran Duran lol, but keep that to yourselves...

Guest couch

Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

hi5, was waiting for someone to say this. I think it was their best album. why Al has decided to resurrect Ministry now when their newer material is increasingly subpar is just beyond me. last one I could get into was Houses of the Molé.

oh fuck I forgot that album (The Mind...)was 80s it always seemed early 90s to me. :S

[media=]

[/media]

:biggrin: I'm on such a B-52's binge right now. Perfect feel good band.

Same here! I can't believe I overlooked Whammy! for so long. Their self-titled debut, and sometimes Cosmic Thing, was I all I really heard growing up.

Guest zaphod

altobelli-top-50-albums-u2-joshua-tree.jpeg

This thread actually made me realize something: most of my favorite albums are from any decade but the 80s. Most are 90s or 00s releases (i.e. when I grew up) or classics from the 60s and 70s. Then I remembered U2 was my first "favorite" band as a young child. My dad listened to quite a few bands but U2 (and R.E.M. a bit later) really stuck with me. I love specific songs from all of U2's 80s releases but Joshua Tree is the only one I consider absolutely solid. It doesn't have quite the same overly epic stadium rock moments as Rattle and Hum or Unforgettable Fire. The sound and scope is more groundbreaking than their early material. It's grandiose, lyrically and sonically, in a good way. Back then Bono still kind of sounded like he was part of band, not just a frontman with 3 other dudes playing all the instruments. I always cite the production of Eno and Lanois in defense of the album...as I am here. I'm sure the shared name of the album and myself had it's superficial appeal to me when I was 4. :sleep:

Nostalgia is still my main reason for picking it. It's probably the first entire album I would listen to intently from start to finish (save B-52s debut and Supertramp's Breakfast In America, but both are from 1979). I listened to it so many times back then just hearing a song from it on the radio lets childhood memories rush in. So there you go. There are plenty of 80s albums I love, but mostly ones I've heard as a young adult in college. Too many runner ups to try making a top ten list.

very similar for me, except with this album:

220px-U2_War_album_cover.jpg

i love u2 up through achtung baby. joshua tree and war were playing a lot in my house as a child and i have fond memories of both albums. there's some beautiful songs on joshua tree. running to stand still, red hill mining town. very nostalgic for me.

the adult me would consciously pick something else though...probably this:

220px-The_Replacements_-_Let_It_Be_cover.jpg

or this

220px-Onfire_galaxie500.jpg

Edited by zaphod

Bit hard to pick just one.

Steve Roach - Structures From Silence & Dreamtime Return

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring & Spirit Of Eden

A R Kane - i

Loop - Heaven`s End

Tangerine Dream - Tangram

Constance Demby - Novus Magnificat

Kraftwerk - Computer World

808 State - 90

Wavestar - Moonwind

man, some great calls on here.

Definitely agree with the following:

U2-War (though the Unforgettable Fire would be a runnerup for me...one of the few albums where I would say the "pomp" is perfect for each song)

Paul Simon-Graceland (seriously, this is such a classic for me...blows my mind how many people I encounter only know "You Can Call Me Al"..which is probably one of the weaker tracks on the album!

The Smiths-The Queen is Dead

Minor Threat-Anything in their Discography

David Bowie-Scary Monsters

I think everyone here has already covered the ones that immediately hit me

my personal favorite from Graceland..love the guitar rhythms and that hard 80s snaredrum!!

[youtubehd]gAmz9iUyOQg[/youtubehd]

Edited by Smettingham Rutherford IV