IGNORED

roguelikes

kaini

in particular, i'm addicted to DCSS

tl;dr tile-based, turn-based RPG where you explore dungeons with many classes and religions. steep learning curve. it's exTREMEly addictive.

Dungeon Crawl is pretty awesome. I've been playing Dungeons of Dredmor, which is what everyone should try if they've never played a roguelike before and are put off by the extreme difficulty of others.

i've played dredmor a bit as well - pretty unique for a roguelike! but i figure i should concentrate on getting one particular rogue variant down before i branch out. i have sil and ADOM on the HDD as well. the tiles in DCSS make it nice, though.

so far, i generally play human or minotaur fighter, worshipping okawaru or xot (for the lulz). it's very, very easy to get killed early in the game if you pick something that isn't particularly noob-friendly

BoI gets mentioned a lot on r/roguelikes on reddit, so i guess so.

i'd call it a weird hybrid of a roguelike and a link to the past.

Guest Iain C

Stone Soup's alright. I'd definitely recommend it as a "starter roguelike" over Dredmor, which I thought was watered-down and wack. I quite liked the custom classes but that was the only thing. It didn't have the elegance or emergence of something like Nethack or any classic roguelike.

For my money, the best roguelike for beginners to get in to is Brogue. The mechanics are stripped right the way back to the basics, but in terms of design it's a very pure and elegant roguelike experience. It looks brilliant too - a great animated ASCII tileset. Water, fire and gas effects are great. A good gateway into roguelike ASCII graphics for people who're used to Diablo or something.

These days, to really maintain my interest I'm looking for something a bit more unusual in my roguelikes. I really love Prospector which is a 4X space exploration game / roguelike hybrid. Crap tileset in the latest versions. But you can probably switch it back to ASCII.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't count.

Guest Iain C

Oh yeah, I've played IVAN for years. Development stopped a long time ago and it's stupidly hard and unbalanced, but that's what makes it so fun. It's one of the few roguelikes where a tile set really adds something. You haven't lived until you've beaten a mutant ass to death with your own calcified leg, naked and smeared with glowing blood.

And in the game.

yep, the whole limb thing adds a new dimension. superfun.

i started a game of brogue as well. man, they know how to make ASCII look beautiful. i burned to death cos the niceness of the flame shit distracted me.

• 3 months later...

Archived