IGNORED

Kompakt - Pop Ambient

chenGOD

I just picked up "Pop Ambient 2010" a couple of days ago. It's the first one I've heard.

Was wondering what others thought was the best of the series? Also are all the tracks exclusive to the respective compilation?

I like Pop ambient 2009 (the last one i like from the Pop ambient series). Everything up to '09 is really good.

Lovely track from 2009 ..

[media=]

[/media]

i haven't heard a lot of these but the bvdub tracks on the 2010 are not exclusive to the compilation. not sure if this is the case with any other tunes in the series.

Really? What release is "Will You Know Where To find Me" on? And my goodness was he ever busy in 2011!

I've really enjoyed the 2010 release, will definitely check out 2005.

if your interested in bvdub chen, listen to 'the art of dying alone', 'one last look at the sea' and 'tribes at the temple of silence'. they will melt you, he is a very gifted young man

i haven't heard a lot of these but the bvdub tracks on the 2010 are not exclusive to the compilation. not sure if this is the case with any other tunes in the series.

Really? What release is "Will You Know Where To find Me" on? And my goodness was he ever busy in 2011!

I've really enjoyed the 2010 release, will definitely check out 2005.

both of those bvdub tracks on pop ambient 2010 are from "we were the sun,"

Yeah I have "The Art of Dying Alone" (I'm slowly working my way through the Glacial Movements catalog). Will check the other recommendations for sure.

Thanks Alcofribas! Don't know why I didn't spot them on discogs the first time through. Looks like it'll be tough to get hold of.

I'd place the 2010 one firmly in the ambient genre....?

troon: retina.IT's "Descending Into Crevasse" is quite incredible. Netherworld's (Tedeschi, the label founder) "Over the Summit" is lovely, if less demanding a listen. Two good jumping off points. I'm looking forward to Stormloop's "Snowbound*" next.

troon: retina.IT's "Descending Into Crevasse" is quite incredible.

this i have and i would agree. we have our own thread for it here on the watmm http://forum.watmm.com/topic/73702-retinait-descending-into-crevasse/

i've been following along with the retina.it since the golden years at hefty. these two really know what they're doing and deserve more attention for it.

How are they not ambient, exactly?

I have 2011 and 2012. Admittedly 2012 doesn't grab me as much as some of the others I've heard, but none of the tracks are bad. There's a really nice Loops of Your Heart track on there though and the BVDUB track is also very good.

The 2007 and 8 Pop Ambient comps are excellent. I have all of them from 07 onwards and those are my two favorites by far. I haven't checked out any of the previous ones for whatever reason.

• 7 years later...

I just have a bunch of them in a playlist, I don't really know which one is the best. I particularly like anything by Gas, Thomas Fehlmann, Dettinger and Marcus Guenter I bought the first few on vinyl as they came out but I have lost track of all the newer ones. I don't know about exclusivity, on the early compilations there were a couple of tracks that I can think of that were out on Mille Plateaux before.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourites are 2002 and 2003, I feel like they strike that balance of melodic and atmospheric (which I assume is what is meant by pop-ambient).

Later comps like 2015 onwards are all really good but lean more towards atmosphere and its harder to distinguish between tracks.

Best compilation series tho... One day I might collect them all... 

Archived