IGNORED

Entering the World of Smartphones

eugene

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

Gf bought me a Galaxy S3 as an early xmas present on Black Friday, first smartphone I've ever had... I fucking love it!

Still running it stock?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Deep Fried Everything

i just bought a new droid 3 from some chick who had an extra as the result of dupe xmas gifts. so i can't hack this shit?? :dry:

• 6 months later...

*bump*

I have an ageing Nokia handset (2.6mp camera! hideous integrated gps software that never worked! the ability to link text messages so you can send more than 160 characters!) that is finally about to crumble into oblivion.

Going to tentatively dip my toes into the waters of "smart" phones.

Was thinking about the google nexus 4 or possibly the sony xperia SP, something fairly established on the market that will do me for generic browsing? GPS / mapping would be useful for my cycling trips. Any other recommendations? Nothing brand new thats going to have teething problems, I never go for new technology.....

• 4 months later...

so yeah, i managed to skip a generation with my 2deep4u contemplations/lack of cash but this time i'm fucking ready, i literally have 700 usd in cash for galaxy S4. so the question this time is what are some good reasons for NOT buying galaxy S4 ?

I recommend the Nexus 4/5.

I'm probably going to try this one: http://jolla.com/

Ex-Nokia people that worked on N900/N9. Some of their Qt UI work is class. The pull down swipe menu with haptic feedback looks brilliant. And it runs Android apps.

I'm probably going to try this one: http://jolla.com/

Ex-Nokia people that worked on N900/N9. Some of their Qt UI work is class. The pull down swipe menu with haptic feedback looks brilliant. And it runs Android apps.

The fact that it runs Android apps is not a good thing at all. One only need look at the epic fail that was OS/2, to see why having the ability to run the leading competitor's apps is a very very bad thing.

I disagree. It's just a feature to increase the practical use. They should be able to get a community up to create native apps which integrate better with their UI standards. Their Qt tools and API are really impressive...

this looks good, but no sd card slot which is kind of a big deal i think. also can you replace galaxy's bloatware with a clean os ?

Yes you can load other clean and better roms on an S4.

• 4 weeks later...

Is Cyanogenmod still the best alternative rom to bung on phones? My galaxy s3 (i9300) is becoming increasingly sluggish so I'm planning on doing a factory reset - so was thinking, if I do that I might as well root & flash it at the same time.

Back in my HTC Desire days Cyanogenmod was pretty much the only option but there seems to be a shit tonne of options nowadays. So yeah, shall I wait for a stable Cyanogen v11 build or is there something better out there (I've read a lot of politics going on in that company especially with their move to becoming Cyanogenmod Inc that have had a negative effect on the rom builds)

Has anyone downgraded from a smart phone to a dumb phone? I'm think of selling my HTC and getting a cheap Samsung that can just handle calls and texts. I'm stuck in this perpetual loop of checking emails, Facebook, Twitter and watmm and I want it to stop. On top of that I want a phone I can charge once and it'll last all week. Anybody else done this? Did you regret it?

• 1 month later...

*waits for galaxy s5 presentation on monday*

i can't believe that i started this thread just after galaxy s3 release and still haven't bought anything, lol.

but if the s5 is awesome enough i'll get it, if not, then s4 with inevitable discount is a good idea as well.

i actually had a lot of time to play with s3 and i felt that it could be both faster and slightly bigger (especially for reading purposes).

• 1 month later...
Guest fiznuthian

I like any phone that fully supports rooting and cyanogenmod (or some of the aosp variants) so i can replace Verizon's shit software.

• 2 weeks later...

holy shit, I had no idea that adblock can basically filter your whole phone and all of the apps, it did feel quite retrded without it...no wonder google removed it from the playstore. are there any super essential apps that do not require a root ? (I dont want to mess up the warranty)

Archived