IGNORED

Deadmau5's rant about live performance

usagi

heres my thought:

do you what works for YOU. fuck everything else.

edit: as a pointless aside, deadmau5's music is awful and gerald is a fucking genius that did a LOT of good. no one has 'the answer' though.

This, though honestly I don't think either really deserve any respect for this "debate." I don't mind Deadmau5 as a DJ/producer but could care less about his output. I love Guy Called Gerald but his comments are just as silly and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Musicians should stick with discussing music, not the merits or talents (or lack there of) of other artists. Only on rare occasions is it warranted. I rather listen to Gerald talk about synths all day. And I rather not think about Deadmau5 ever.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I just don't get why he is touting that what he does for a living could be learned by anybody in less than an hour? Just reiterating that he has no talent

I really can't stand the bro dude mainstream EDM that is going on nowadays. People act like deadmau5 and skrillex are the 'end all be all' of electronic music, when they'll likely be forgotten in years to come when another fad comes along. Visionaries such as those in the featured artists section only come along once in a while however

I'm glad he said all of that. I keep telling myself that I won't see any more electronic music live, and each time I go I'm reminded why. See bands instead.

edit: Squarepusher was great, though

I guess I just don't get why he is touting that what he does for a living could be learned by anybody in less than an hour? Just reiterating that he has no talent

Didn't he say that just about his live performances? Stil not everybody would be able to produce his music within an hour. He's got quite some knowledge about production, there was a vid of him talking about his gear or something iirc.

He seems like a cool guy, especially his response to agcg is gold. But maybe he should speak a little more for himself. Either that, or he should call names.

AGCG just posted this:

That was stupid of me to say and obviously out of out of context especially as I know racist generalisation 1st hand I mean you can see me coming a mile of. anyway I'm sorry for For Causing disharmony. it was only about music. don't know where the nuke shit came from may be to many coffees.

Seriously though fuck DM what a twat. "go back to being no longer relevant" my ass.

He seems like a cool guy, especially his response to agcg is gold. But maybe he should speak a little more for himself. Either that, or he should call names.

no

Guest sirch

i would like to watch them argue over skype.

ELECTRONIC MUSIC WARS!!!

new reality TV show in the making!

EDM EMW, L.i.v.e. !

I still don't get the Palestine thing... what the? :wacko:

Deadmau5 is a jewish boy.

Now then, to get to the root of it being an out of context statement.

It's a rabbit-hole of stupidity

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/on-the-cover-the-rise-of-deadmau5-20120620

Zimmerman slams EDM stars who show up to a live gig and press play. "David Guetta has two iPods and a mixer and he just plays tracks – like, 'Here's one with Akon, check it out!'," he says. "Even Skrillex [a friend of Zimmerman’s] isn't doing anything too technical. He has a laptop and a MIDI recorder, and he's just playing his shit ... People are, thank God, smartening up about who does what – but there’s still button-pushers getting paid half a million.

Even with the relative simplicity of deadmaus or skrillex, it's pretty hard to pull it off completely live. When the objective is to make a crowd dance, I don't think it really matters if 90% of the set is pre-sequenced. I certainly don't give a fuck when I'm at an electronic dance gig. This extends to the local chiptune scene as well, from my experience—most of the performers play pre-sequenced tracks with effects tweaking, vocals or a live instrument thrown in. Doesn't matter, the crowd loves it.

The only time I like electronic music completely live is if it's an experimental gig, ie. if I'm not dancing, I'm forced to pay attention to what's actually being played.

I certainly don't love his music, but I have to admit, he's good at what he does. He seems to pull these stunts ala Kanye and then all the sudden even WATMM or oldies like AGCG are talking about him. Its marketing, and the fact that Mr. Mau5 has made a shitload of money making his music and using his gimmicks makes him feel entitled to shit on the game. This is nothing new.

Or so you would think with a name like Joel Zimmermann.

anti-semantic

anti-Symantec

ana8+side+b.jpg

flol

Even with the relative simplicity of deadmaus or skrillex, it's pretty hard to pull it off completely live. When the objective is to make a crowd dance, I don't think it really matters if 90% of the set is pre-sequenced. I certainly don't give a fuck when I'm at an electronic dance gig. This extends to the local chiptune scene as well, from my experience—most of the performers play pre-sequenced tracks with effects tweaking, vocals or a live instrument thrown in. Doesn't matter, the crowd loves it.

Fucking well put. I just re-read deadmau5's rant and upon second thought, fuck that guy. Beatmatching, actual meatmatching, is a skill. I still get chills when I watch videos of masters like Derrick May or any DMC champion turntablists with just two decks. I have nothing against what deadmau5 or Skrillex do in regards to their live sets. Nor do I wish to debate over what qualifies as "live electronic music" or "DJing." Deadmau5 sounds like an asshole because he's bitching about the basis of his DJing career, recent fame, and entire livelihood. It's arrogant and hypocritical for him to single out himself as different than his EDM peers. And even if he was somewhat right (he's not though) fuck that attitude. For christ sakes it's dance music! Maybe if he took off that mask and worry less about his showmanship he'd realize he should be smiling and appreciating where he's at.

AGCG just posted this:

That was stupid of me to say and obviously out of out of context especially as I know racist generalisation 1st hand I mean you can see me coming a mile of. anyway I'm sorry for For Causing disharmony. it was only about music. don't know where the nuke shit came from may be to many coffees.

Seriously though fuck DM what a twat. "go back to being no longer relevant" my ass.

no

A Guy Called Gerald shouldn't be relevant to Deadmau5 or his fans. AGCG did nothing for the non-advancement of prog house. It's like a creationist telling an evolutionary scientist to "go back to being no longer relevant."

Now then, to get to the root of it being an out of context statement.

It's a rabbit-hole of stupidity

I understand AGCG going off in a angry counter-rant but that Palestinian comment perplexes me too. It comes off as an unintended reveal of some serious fucked views on Israel or the Jewish community...

...OR he let loose some of the deepest secrets of the Protocol of the Elders of EDM. We are all well aware of the war on true dubstep by the legions of brostep nomads that sacked and pillaged the ancient soundsystems, performing disturbing historical revisions of what is considered "bass" and letting the empire of superstar DJs dominate our culture and society. The answer is within this thread, have we forgotten the words of ourselves?

holy WATMM scrolls: book of Skrillex: verse 1199, on 24 January 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Skirrlex waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were wobs in the dupstep. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Dedm4u5 were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.

Skirrlex was a dustbep for fourteen years. When he was young he watched Skream and he said to Dedm4u5 "I want to be the dustbep Dedm4u5."

Dadmouse said "No! You will BE HATED BY HATERS"

There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the music subforum of the WATMM he knew there were HATERS. "This is Dedm5u4" the radio crackered. "You must DROP THE BASS!" So Skirrlex gotted his copy of NI MASSUVE and made a dibstop.

"CHECK THIS LOEFAH DUBPLAT" said the HATERS. "I will DROP THE BASS" said shakleton and he used an bongo. Skirrlex synthed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the shakleton made a bass and the HATERS did a photoshop and Skirlox was trapped and not able to DROP THE BASS. "no! i must DROP THE BASS!" shouted Skirrlex. the radio said "no, Skirrlex. you are a fag" and then Skirrlex was a zombie.

Sure enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVPAmOU9D1s

A GUY CALLED GERALD SPEAKS DA TRUTH

Archived