IGNORED

Deadmau5's rant about live performance

usagi

joshua, you sexy bastard, that is one of my favourite Shackletunes.

actual meatmatching, is a skill

is that like docking? because that is a skill I actively facilitate.

*meatmatches to the beat of Hamas Rule*

LOL I hereby give up proof-reading my posts. It appears I write funny shit I'm not even aware of.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The DM rant is all on par with the current culture of the superstar-DJ doing Christ poses in front of tens of thousands of people who are more there for the DJ than the music. And then it's about the expectations that Monolake mentioned in his text, the mainstream crowd expects a similar performance to the rock band they watched last weekend. The mainstream audience gobble this "EDM" thing up without having a context from where and how this music came from. Not saying that you need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of electronic music but a certain understanding would absolutely help, especially that electronic music is difficult to perform as a "traditional" band or if it's performed live, it's going to look different. The reason someone goes to a electronic music party, is to dance and get into the music, not to watch some guy spin records or twiddle some knobs, but since the DJ/performer has become the main object of gawking from the audience they feel compelled to somehow give something more when in fact just playing the music in a dark room with a strobe would be enough.

I don't know what I was trying to say, but whatever.

Each to his own. A person who leaves the house to listen to a dead mouse has completely different expectations to what a smaller, more intimate crowd wants when they go to listen to a more selective electronic musician; AGCG even.

And.. there is only one winner to rant vs. rant ::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93R-KQ9THa8

so can someone explain to me how people are embarrassed to use the term IDM but not the shit-ass Rolling Stone buzz word 'EDM' ? what the fuck happened!

I would use the term IEDM to describe my musical preferences but I can't in this political enviroment. People would not get the acronym and assume I only like Muslimgauze's more provocative releases. Or worse, they'd think I was a M.I.A. fan :wtf:

DM's rant was idiotic. Spending all those words saying absolutely nothing...

THEN - we get AGCG - one of the legends, coming up just to rattle his can and say even less. They are both despicable nobodies pretending to be all that, taking responsibility and ownership of a movement that is a million times bigger than the sum of artists that made it.

Nothing about this shit matters in the least. Let's shut the fuck up and just play some fucking music.

Guest sljiva

so can someone explain to me how people are embarrassed to use the term IDM but not the shit-ass Rolling Stone buzz word 'EDM' ? what the fuck happened!

Cause EDM actually makes sense - the music in question is indeed electronic and danceable. IDM is neither intelligent nor danceable.

And look at the RS link on the previous page. If they really cared that much about this buzzword, they would have it plastered all over the cover.

DM's rant was idiotic. Spending all those words saying absolutely nothing...

THEN - we get AGCG - one of the legends, coming up just to rattle his can and say even less. They are both despicable nobodies pretending to be all that, taking responsibility and ownership of a movement that is a million times bigger than the sum of artists that made it.

Nothing about this shit matters in the least. Let's shut the fuck up and just play some fucking music.

deadmau5 called security on rusko and had him kicked out of the venue because rusko was smoking a joint backstage.

deadmau5 uses the term "anti-sematic."

deadmau5 is concerned about the content of a 50 year old pop star's concerts and feels she is corrupting the youth.

deadmau5 phones in drunk into radio shows to rant about how drug use is destroying electronic music.

deadmau5 is a tremendous faggot and deserves no respect for his actions

Honestly it sounds like deadmau5 is some kind of hired assassin. Not in the traditional sense because he is way too high-profile... but in a cultural sense. Anytime there is a new kid on the block who is jumping all around about being "clean" and saying "no" to drugs, you just know he's sucking Satans cock.

. IDM is neither intelligent nor danceable.

really? i find it pretty danceable, and for the time it hit the scene most of it was more intelligent than the cheesy rave bullshit coming out of most of the UK, but i keep forgetting that the nostalgic of the UK rave scene 'won' and now they are embarrassed of the term 'IDM' even though it actually made quite a bit of sense at the time, maybe a little hoilier than thou sure but to say it makes no sense... makes no sense

now that all the laptop musicians are latent partiers who enjoy the club/rave scene i guess it does a great deal to explain why so many people reject IDM now.

deadmau5 called security on rusko and had him kicked out of the venue because rusko was smoking a joint backstage.

deadmau5 uses the term "anti-sematic."

deadmau5 is concerned about the content of a 50 year old pop star's concerts and feels she is corrupting the youth.

deadmau5 phones in drunk into radio shows to rant about how drug use is destroying electronic music.

deadmau5 is a tremendous faggot and deserves no respect for his actions

dude, seriously how do you know so much about this guy and why do you care. these aren't really terrible things.

Guest sljiva

. IDM is neither intelligent nor danceable.

really? i find it pretty danceable, and for the time it hit the scene most of it was more intelligent than the cheesy rave bullshit coming out of most of the UK, but i keep forgetting that the nostalgic of the UK rave scene 'won' and now they are embarrassed of the term 'IDM' even though it actually made quite a bit of sense at the time, maybe a little hoilier than thou sure but to say it makes no sense... makes no sense

now that all the laptop musicians are latent partiers who enjoy the club/rave scene i guess it does a great deal to explain why so many people reject IDM now.

Some of it is danceable, sure, but you can say that about pretty much every style of primarily listening music. Remember, it was born as an antithesis to wild and energetic rave music of the era (armchair techno modeled after Kraftwerk and Pink Floyd) and over the time associated producers made sure to distance it from the dancefloor as much as possible (using weird signatures, deliberate errors, ambient passages, etc.).

And intelligent is a pretty strong word to use for something that maybe has more layers, uses different sound palette and is more focused on the details and background subtleties. Of course, pretentious/snobish people always wanted to distance themselves and their music taste from everybody else (see: progressive), but to call a style of music "intelligent" because it sounds more complex is downright unintelligent. Musicians involved in the scene thankfully smelt the bullshit right away and one after the other rejected the term, and more and more listeners are doing the same. Actually, everytime I see a discussion somewhere about this type of music, one of the first things to come up is almost universal discontent with the name. So no, people don't reject it because of the silly reasons you stated, they reject it because they don't want to sound like pretentious asshole pricks.

idm and proud. it's just a random name for a great period of innovative & intelligent dance(and extremely danceable[all of it]) music, and it will always be idm. I'm honored to have been a part of it.

The word "intelligent" in IDM was meant to discribe how one's brain or "intellect", as it were, "dances" to the music. Aphex coined it better with a more fun, less pretentious sounding word: Braindance. But somehow Warp found it neccesary to throw the word intelligent in there. Which forever branded it as "smart music for smart people only", which I don't think was their original intention.

I have never in my entire life been in a real life coversation with someone where someone has used the phrase IDM, Would people in the US actually say this? EDM is pretty stupid to but again seems very much an american term.

Anyhow deadmouse is an arogant prick although in this case I can sort of see his point, A Guy called Gerald's response was well over the top and also makes him seem a massive prick. Them Monolake atricles someone posted are cool and says all that really needs to be said on the subject.

The word "intelligent" in IDM was meant to discribe how one's brain or "intellect", as it were, "dances" to the music. Aphex coined it better with a more fun, less pretentious sounding word: Braindance. But somehow Warp found it neccesary to throw the word intelligent in there. Which forever branded it as "smart music for smart people only", which I don't think was their original intention.

Warp never called it intelligent. The term Warp used was Electronic Listening Music.

Archived