IGNORED

What are Muslimgauze's best albums, EPs, etc?

splesh

It's an overwhelming and expansive discography, no doubt. I use to browse these when last.fm still streamed tracks: http://www.last.fm/m...imgauze/ albums and they're listed by popularity, so maybe that will help.

I always think of this track (I like the cover art as well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JGIpnX9x8

This is the first one I ever heard, it's at the end of DJ /rupture's infamous Gold Teeth Thief Mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZj6Eo95ok

i cant help but wonder would he have been a 9/11 truther had he lived long enough or would he have been one of the first to praise the actions of supposed islamic terrorists. Id like to think truther

what i mean to say is that his technique and methods of experimentation would likely have grown, and given he was already so accomplished, it is curious to think what he might have become

Muslimgauze is one of many many musician's I've only listened a handful of times, who seemed to have a rich, strongly developed sound going on that by rights should have warranted far more attention on my part

edit- also is this guy one of those dudes who released pretty much everything he ever recorded, or did he just have some sort of crazy dedication to making middle east themed techno music

Muslimgauze is one of many many musician's I've only listened a handful of times, who seemed to have a rich, strongly developed sound going on that by rights should have warranted far more attention on my part

edit- also is this guy one of those dudes who released pretty much everything he ever recorded, or did he just have some sort of crazy dedication to making middle east themed techno music

Pretty sure it's both.

didn't we have this thread not too long ago? i'll give the same answer here as i did there.

listen to these 3 albums in this order:

1. Zul'm

2. Vote Hezbollah

3. Veiled Sisters

these albums were all released one after the other chronologically and represent his creative peak, imo. each of them are very different sounding from one another.

after that, sample stuff from different time periods to get a sense of his range. he would tend to relase a few albums in a row of a certain style before moving on to the next phase.

• 2 weeks later...

i cant help but wonder would he have been a 9/11 truther had he lived long enough or would he have been one of the first to praise the actions of supposed islamic terrorists. Id like to think truther

he would probably be a 911 hijacker himself

he would probably be a 911 hijacker himself

no.

Even if you're being sarcastic I have to note that what I have read of his beliefs then were very much rooted in criticism of Western policies in the Middle East. I don't think he would be a truther either actually, I think he'd be quick to list the reasons why U.S. actions overseas motivated the attack and produce a slew of albums referencing the "War On Terror" and the Arab String. He was not a Muslim. He actually did not travelling to any part of the region, so I doubt, if he was still alive, that he'd even join the left-wing university students from that travel Palestine so they can yell and provoke Israeli border policemen:

Interviewer: Do you believe it is absolutely necessary, to take these political aspects into account? Or can one also uncouple the politics and music from each other?

Jones: Yes, one can do that. It is music. Music with serious political facts behind it. There are no lyrics, because that would be preaching. It is music. It is up to you, to find out more. If you don't want that, it is up to you. You can listen to only the music or you can preoccupy yourself more with it.

^That last statement is why I have no qualms about enjoying his output...

• 2 years later...

Did I already post in this thread? One of my local shops has all those Staalplaat reissues so I've just been plowing through them as I can. Pretty radical, although I still have no idea how to digest or sum them all up. But, I haven't heard a bad one yet!

Any other tips on finding physical copies of this guy's work around? It'd be real fun to build up a nice large collection.

In 1994 I was at a friend's house and he had a cassette in his boom box that was very intriguing to me in terms of sound.

I pulled it out and it just said "Veiled Sisters" hand written on it. A friend of his had made it for him.

So, for awhile I was going to shops looking for a group called, "Veiled Sisters".

I eventually figured out that that was the name of the album, not the group.

I bought that, then hemmed and hawed for a month or two on whether to buy "Vote Hezbollah", it just felt really uncomfortable to have to go bring it up to the register and have them ring it up.

I eventually said, "fuck it" and bought that as well.

After that I never looked back though, and bought Muslimgauze titles as often as I could. This was right as the html internet was taking off, so I mainly relied on music reviews in magazines to guide me.

Eventually I joined the "Muslimlim" Subscription Series which was fun until after 9/11 when getting odd looking foreign packages in the U.S. Post that contained CD's named "Sarin Israel Nes Ziona" that had pictures of Saddam Hussein on them started to seem like a dodgy proposition from my increasingly paranoid world view.

I haven't seen actual copies of Muslimgauze albums in a record store in about 10 years.

I have to buy them online.

• 4 years later...
On 6/29/2012 at 5:57 PM, Redruth said:

think of the musics he would be making now. my goodness me

he would have a tremendous musical status by now, like up par with the Aphexs.

Archived