IGNORED

guy from BBC says RDJ can't play keyboard (re: piano stuff on Druqks). WTF?

Guest xclark

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if penty harmonium is any indication of his skills he better stick to sequencing amirite

lol (but I really like that track for reals)

Richard's instrument is the sequencer. He can play / program it like few others.

this. why is sequencer not an instrument? if someone bangs on a can everyone goes bonkers on his can-banging musician skills, but if it's done with computers it's not real playing. how come it isn't if the end result is usually music?

because people are retards.

I agree. That's often the weakness of people who criticize sampling and other aspects of electronic music compared to "real" playing. It's an ignorant and narrow-minded viewpoint. I appreciate people who can play instruments like guitars and cellos, etc. because that takes an amount of skill, talent, and practice to do well. That said, someone is an electric guitar virtuoso is no more innovative or musically forward thinking than a bedroom producer who sequences machines if all they do is cover or write rock and blues-based music in a style we've heard over and over again. I think it's cool that Paul McCartney and RDJ both can't read music yet have completely different sets of skills as musicians. It's apples and oranges. RDJ can't write gorgeous pop ballads (probably) on guitar and McCartney can't program complex electronic tracks (actually that's confirmed...listen below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqKpPmVcK4

So when I read that RDJ used "Diskclavier" I think it's neat that he found and utilized an instrument to realize the music he made on Drukqs. MIDI versus live playing? Meh, who cares.

Richard's instrument is the sequencer. He can play / program it like few others.

this. why is sequencer not an instrument? if someone bangs on a can everyone goes bonkers on his can-banging musician skills, but if it's done with computers it's not real playing. how come it isn't if the end result is usually music?

A concise summary of the world around us.

Guest sirch

...and cannot make anything interesting or worth listening to :)

get a permit and play your shit keyboard to people on the street who care.

or in an OAP home...

innit?

Who cares?

RDJ says guy from the bbc can't play a roland 303.

most people that go to see live performances. im not saying you are wrong, im saying this is the unfortunate reality.

Electronic music has always had a stigma of faux-musicianship around it; this recent explosion of diva dubstep and the like will only further hurt its reputation.

unless you're a proficient player it seems like a waste of time to attempt playing something in that requires attention to detail when you have a sequencer at your disposal. One that can be manipulated to avoid perfect quantizing in some fashion

diva dubstep

:>

Guest xclark

if it's done with computers it's not real playing. how come it isn't if the end result is usually music?

I don't mean to sound snarky, but that's composing.

everyone seems to think I'm knocking RDJ for not being able to play keyboards. I'm definitely not. I think it's an incredible testament to his natural abilities and idiosyncratic ear when it comes to melodies.

Guest sirch

if it's done with computers it's not real playing. how come it isn't if the end result is usually music?

everyone seems to think I'm knocking RDJ for not being able to play keyboards. I'm definitely not. I think it's an incredible testament to his natural abilities and idiosyncratic ear when it comes to melodies.

yeah, that's what real musicians do. use their ears.

any monkian can learn to read or play music. but some people just have that gift naturally in their ears and brain already.

guy from calgary says guy from bbc can eat shit, what is he implying?

I guess he thinks most "artists" are actually singing the vocals in their songs + playing their instruments the way it sounds on the album too? Oh right it's 99.99% post production. Oh right bbc guy eats shit sandwiches.

Oh right aphex twin is good.

Edit: spelled sandwiches with an h, wtf?

Guest xclark

yeah, that's what real musicians do. use their ears.

any monkian can learn to read or play music. but some people just have that gift naturally in their ears and brain already.

yep, I think that's what this whole discussion comes down to.

Guest sirch

music has always been there, always been music and has the potential to be anything else and take any other form or structure as well...

humans banging drums made of bones and skins and blowing on pipes made of hollowed out bones, again, or reeds etc didn't know what notes they were playing did they, in the beginning? or if what they were doing should have a middle eight and 2 or 3 chorus's's's' :)

music has always been there, but humans called it music. ya get me ? :smile:

if it were merely composing music would not be end product on his behalf, but rather someone else. i mean he comes up with it and pulls it off all by himself.

Guest hajime

Exactly

Guest sirch

what came first, music or music theory?

exactly. and who even invented the word music to describe sounds and notes played together?

lol @ humans and words :)

Guest sirch

who even invented the word "notes" and said that was a C or a D flat?

who says it's a fucking c or d or e flat?

music theory is bullshit.

Archived