IGNORED

Vinyl records mount comeback

syd syside

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell yeah, I was gonna mention generative/dynamic music in an earlier post but didn't want to derail the discussion. The idea that the listener can help "compose" the album each time it plays (but doesn't have to actually change anything if they don't want) will be a really interesting development in distributed music, imo. The different ways artists will be able to incorporate that sort of thing will be fun to see.

I'm imagining a world in which OLEDs play back artist-made visualizations of the music and the listener can change parameters of the music as they go... :w00t:

I dunno, sounds like a gimmick to me. And it only really applies to electronic music, doesn't it?

Hipsters want to be retro and buy the vinyl of their favourite indie band. I buy vinyl since my echospaces are usually released on it and I got a working turntable. And it is sort of cooler than CDs, IMO. Still haven't warmed to the thought of just buying digital lossless files, even if I listen to most of my music on the computer.

Hell yeah, I was gonna mention generative/dynamic music in an earlier post but didn't want to derail the discussion. The idea that the listener can help "compose" the album each time it plays (but doesn't have to actually change anything if they don't want) will be a really interesting development in distributed music, imo. The different ways artists will be able to incorporate that sort of thing will be fun to see.

I'm imagining a world in which OLEDs play back artist-made visualizations of the music and the listener can change parameters of the music as they go... :w00t:

I dunno, sounds like a gimmick to me. And it only really applies to electronic music, doesn't it?

I was thinking more about ambient music, but that sort of thing could work in a lot of genres if the artist was creative enough. It is kinda gimmicky, or at least certainly would be at first, but I enjoy a good imaginative gimmick from time to time. I think the idea has a lot of potential anyway.

It's certainly an interesting idea. I'm just not sure how one could apply such technology to non-synthesised music, without using hours of source recordings..

Guest frankbank

started buying vinyl 2 years ago, originally for bunch of Echospace stuff. got tons of it now.

the advantage for me (apart from sounding great) is music listening becomes a more deliberate, physical act which is more conducive to proper listening rather than fast food style 20,000 tracks on your iPod which you use on the bus

Yeah, pretty much. Also, I love the way metal albums sound with a slightly worn needle. So brutal!

What is this Echospace stuff you speak of?

Speaking of a come back (or not) it seems to me that 300.000 sales in 93 is pretty close to the death of the format, seeing that it's now 4.000.000 does indeed means it's a real come back.

As for the dynamic experience of music, I always thought it would be awesome to have the multi-track mix of an album, and now that we have the likes of DVD's, Blu-RAY's and whatever digital format you want that as enough space to do it, there's no reason to NOT do it.

Imagine listening to your favourite album and being able to mix the individual tracks on the go to your liking :-D You could even put FX and EQ as you like.

That for me is the future of music.

It's certainly an interesting idea. I'm just not sure how one could apply such technology to non-synthesised music, without using hours of source recordings..

Robots! Or you know, things like this midi controlled piano, same thing could be done with organs I suppose. And I've seen video's of xylophones being played with solenoids, that could be done with many more instruments, flutes etc. But it would more tend to installation art...

Echospace is dub techno.

Robots! Or you know, things like this midi controlled piano, same thing could be done with organs I suppose. And I've seen video's of xylophones being played with solenoids, that could be done with many more instruments, flutes etc. But it would more tend to installation art...

Echospace is dub techno.

Pierre Bastien?

You're not gay for buying cd's/mp3's/flac's/wav's

You're gay for not constructing robots that can play the IDMZ!*

Seriously, the youtube i posted, i sounds like autechre but done acoustically didn't it?

*I think I remember the drum robot that afx supposedly bought was from Belgium, in Ghent maybe?

It is, I knew vinyl was on a comeback but that is beyond expectations.

BUT, is it worldwide (I don't think so...) or US sales? Could be interesting to see the difference between countries...

And of course sales pre-'93, what was the absolute peak of vinyls sales?

You're not gay for buying cd's/mp3's/flac's/wav's

You're gay for not constructing robots that can play the IDMZ!*

Seriously, the youtube i posted, i sounds like autechre but done acoustically didn't it?

*I think I remember the drum robot that afx supposedly bought was from Belgium, in Ghent maybe?

hellgium drummachine for the afx for sure and cool video!

pvc= that is a strange response because everything coming from petrol goes up in price, so does vinyl records

I think that many people are wanting a more physical product if they are going to pay hard money for it

There is obviously also the DJ phenomenon, but I don't think it amount to such an increase in sales

I hope Compson can tell us where did he got that graph because it lacks the basics to form an opinion...

I just need to know what country does these sales cam from?

hemp polymer records are the future

That's probably true.

Let's push it forward! Forward!

lol

I meant 'Let's push things forward'

Pfff

I hope Compson can tell us where did he got that graph because it lacks the basics to form an opinion...

I just need to know what country does these sales cam from?

hemp polymer records are the future

That's probably true.

Let's push it forward! Forward!

lol

I meant 'Let's push things forward'

Pfff

http://digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2012/120104vinyl

US sales

Archived