IGNORED

Tim Horton's To Offer Free Wi-Fi In 90% of It's Shops By September

Joyrex

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/07/05/tim-hortons-wifi.html?cmp=rss

Tim Hortons is joining the ranks of restaurants offering a digital perk to its coffee-mad customers — free wireless internet.

The ubiquitous donut chain says it will roll out wireless Internet service to 90 per cent of its stores across Canada by September.

"It's all about convenience and making life easier for our guests," Tim Hortons spokesman Roland Walton said in a release.

After undergoing what the company calls a "rigorous six-month process" with multiple internet service providers, Tims will work with Bell Canada to roll out the national service to more than 2,000 Tim Hortons locations in time for the new school year.

The plan does not include its non-traditional outlets, including kiosks, gas stations and hospital locations.

Guest theSun

hundreds of these encroaching south into america as well. my town has as many tims as dunkins, and that equates to like 2,000 per sq mile

saw the first ones popping up like 15 years ago.

I thought Starbucks "free" Wi-Fi was only if you're an AT&T subscriber... same goes for McDonalds

Nah, you don't need AT&T at Starbucks. It's free for everyone (at least here in the states), just like most every other coffee shop. Not sure about McDonalds, as I've never felt the need to work on my laptop while eating greasy fries. :cerious:

I thought Starbucks "free" Wi-Fi was only if you're an AT&T subscriber... same goes for McDonalds

mcdonalds definitely has 100% free wifi (aka an unprotected wireless network). i've used it before. dunno about starbucks though.

Nah, you don't need AT&T at Starbucks. It's free for everyone (at least here in the states), just like most every other coffee shop. Not sure about McDonalds, as I've never felt the need to work on my laptop while eating greasy fries. :cerious:

maybe there are no fancy schmancy starbucks near some people and they have to go to mcdonalds if they want a decent wifi connection >:|

mcdonalds definitely has 100% free wifi (aka an unprotected wireless network). i've used it before. dunno about starbucks though.

maybe there are no fancy schmancy starbucks near some people and they have to go to mcdonalds if they want a decent wifi connection >:|

Goes to show you how often I go to Starbucks

i'm in seattle, i can't cross the street without hitting a starbucks! it is pretty rare that i find myself in one, but they definitely have wifi. as an interesting side note, mcdonalds here sells a brand called "Seattles Best Coffee," and ran a huge billboard campaign with anti-starbucks slogans like "Coffee shouldn't cost $4." and "We know you just want a coffee. You shouldn't have to say any more." etc. The rub is that Starbucks owns Seattles Best, and it's just their shit beans, lol. Starbucks was campaigning against itself in order to capture a new market. genious and terrible.

yeah, starbucks definitely had that policy years ago. i guess they've realized that easy-to-use wifi brings more money in than charging people to use wifi.

True story about Tim Horton:

He was decapitated.

maybe he needed to be decaffeinated amirite or amirite?!!

i'm in seattle, i can't cross the street without hitting a starbucks! it is pretty rare that i find myself in one, but they definitely have wifi. as an interesting side note, mcdonalds here sells a brand called "Seattles Best Coffee," and ran a huge billboard campaign with anti-starbucks slogans like "Coffee shouldn't cost $4." and "We know you just want a coffee. You shouldn't have to say any more." etc. The rub is that Starbucks owns Seattles Best, and it's just their shit beans, lol. Starbucks was campaigning against itself in order to capture a new market. genious and terrible.

That's odd they would sell their main competitor's brand - are you sure it wasn't just them calling their coffee "Seattle's best coffee" as in there was some taste test done and it was voted best tasting coffee in Seattle?

There's a SBC and a SB within 5 minutes' walk from here, and I LOL at their prices (about the same) considering SBC as Luke said is supposed to be their "budget" brand (read: all the shitty beans we won't use for our "discerning" SB customers go to SBC for the unwashed masses to consume).

I wouldn't be surprised if there are morons on FB and Twitter waxing on how SBC is better than SB and to boycott SB...

If I ever saw someone running a packet sniffer on their laptop at a coffee shop, I'd "accidentally" knock it off the table as I passed by...

Guest theSun

timbits are the shit. all their donuts were fucking awesome before they started freezing them

One time, I went to Tim Hortons and ordered an Iced coffee. I asked for a medium with 2 creams, 1 sugar.

I received a large with 4 creams and 12 sugars. I felt like a fly after taking a sip. I didn't realize it had 12 sugars in it until I went back to get what I actually ordered. I thought I had lucked out because the guy only charged me for the medium. Cashier looked mega sessed.

That's odd they would sell their main competitor's brand - are you sure it wasn't just them calling their coffee "Seattle's best coffee" as in there was some taste test done and it was voted best tasting coffee in Seattle?

There's a SBC and a SB within 5 minutes' walk from here, and I LOL at their prices (about the same) considering SBC as Luke said is supposed to be their "budget" brand (read: all the shitty beans we won't use for our "discerning" SB customers go to SBC for the unwashed masses to consume).

I wouldn't be surprised if there are morons on FB and Twitter waxing on how SBC is better than SB and to boycott SB...

You're right, it is odd, but it's most definitely the Starbucks SBC and not just some taste-test winner. There's no way SBC won a taste-test here. It's two notches above Folgers in your cup... the worst part of waking up.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any means; I really dislike hot beverages, and the taste of coffee really doesn't do much for me. Now, the smell - I love the smell of coffee more than the taste. I always out of habit have to stroll through the coffee isle at the grocery store just for the wonderful smells...

Guest Franklin

Wow stepping into this thread is feeling weird as you guys are talking about canada....

So, I drink Tim Horton's coffee every single day. medium double double. It's not coffee in the way that actual nice coffee places make coffee; it's already ground and shipped stuff that usually is burned by the machines and tastes like it.

I love it though and it's only 1.60 which is great compared to 2.50 or something at starbucks which is hardly that much better these days tbh.

The wi-fi thing is interesting b/c if you go into Tims' you'd probably think that the people that go inside them are not the sort of people that even understand what wi-fi is or how to hook their trucks up to it.

Joyrex try ordering a "trucker trucker." The Tim's person might understand. I did a few years ago and they didn't know but apparently it's 16 cream 16 sugar.

also, in canada starbucks and mcdonalds wi-fi is completely unassociated with specific carriers and is totally free.

Archived