IGNORED

Why does no one release music on Laserdisc?

Guest JJSee

Guest JJSee

I heard a romour most music is made in a digital format these days, so I guess digital must sound pretty good.

True, I hear 128kbps MP3s are pretty much exactly the same listening experience as vinyl. Why people still make records is a complete mystery.

Great argument there, I lose.

You guys are super fun. Later.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JJSee

i thought you were fucking off?

How could I resist?

Seriously, Mods, why is this person still here? He's contributing nothing. To the world. Probably.

How could I resist?

Seriously, Mods, why is this person still here? He's contributing nothing. To the world. Probably.

Because we like to keep inventive and visionary people around.

DIGITAL VINYLS

See what I mean?

Guest JJSee

Don't think cause you have THE Bill Murray as your avatar you're exempt...

tumblr_lkjcvauXmM1qecvhz.gif

Ok, let's get back on track here and finish this one off nice and peacefully.

I can see what you're on about when it comes to sound quality, analogue sound and blablabla (at least to a certain degree), but let's try and put this into a business idea and imagine you were going to sell this idea to a record company. When you've covered all the technical stuff about it sounding better where would you go from there? Who's going to buy music LDs? What would it cost to produce LDs (probably a LOT because laserdisc productions stopped sometime in 2001 in Japan and Pioneer has not made a LD player since 2009)? What should one music LD cost to able to cover the production costs? Who's going to sell music LDs?

Do you think the average consumer cares enough about QUALITY sound? Probably not. I love music. I couldn't live without music, but I could give less than a flying fuck about 96Khz vs 44.1 Khz. Does 44.1 Khz sound good? Yeah, it does. Good. That satisfies my needs. Oh, and hey... it's a digital file format so I can access it from anywhere. Convenient.

to me the interesting thing is the possibilities that a versatile format could trigger artists to look at music in different ways. logistically it's difficult or nearly impossible to get something like a LD manufactured now...i don't think anyone has said otherwise.

but the art that a different format could produce is ultimately what is intriguing to me.

I don´t see how a different physical format could really change the music itself. It´s not like different painting media or something.

edit: you could of course write a silly song about laserdiscs

You think it's just a big cd

A big expensive cd

But no, think again

It's a laserdisc (laserdisc)

Analoooooog discs

Analog shiny discs

(x2)

etc

a versatile format could trigger artists to look at music in different way

Please explain what you mean

hidden tracks (post and pre-songs) changed albums...the artists likely still would have written and recorded and perhaps released the songs, but the album is altered....so it changes the end result that the consumer sees. to go with an example familiar to this board, the pre-Rpeg track on Autechre's EP7 likely would've not been released otherwise. similarly the untitled bleepy-bloopy track after minutes of silence at the end of LP5 likely wouldn't have been there either (it doesn't show up on the vinyls of the album, according to discogs.com).

the Gescom Minidisc release likely would not have existed ever if not for the format of the minidisc. yeah, Gescom may have bounced around some weird little experimental release similar to it, but it definitely would not have been anything resembling what we have. i'm not sure if there's any official word saying they wrote recorded and released that album specifically because of the minidisc format, but i think i remember reading that or something suggesting that in the past.

the Hafler Trio/AE releases, though i'm not that familiar with them, seem to be tied very much to the particular format each is released on. they may not have been the same, if they'd been recorded at all, if not for those artists.

i've got a release from Fluorescent Grey sitting on my hard drive (that i have yet to be able to play back properly) that consists of tracks intended to be played 2 at a time, simultaneously, in random order....now that concept could've been worked up years ago in someone's head, but the release is tied very distinctly to mp3 players on computer. if i remember right he says on his website that he wrote the album specifically for such a thing.

then there's art installations that incorporate music in varying ways that are intended to exist only in that medium....a bit more out there than these other examples, but still worth mentioning.

these are kind of fringe examples of things, but the basic concept is there. and i know there's a lot more out there than these even. the point is that artists are influenced by the way their art will be seen or released or what have you....to quote JJSee from the first post of this thread;

What this means is that content creators (musicians) could, in theory, create an analog audio track, a digital track, and analog video, in a format that doesn't degrade if mastered correctly. Creative folks could utilize all three and create compelling mixes of companion digital and analog tracks that stand alone or work together, and of course offer some sort of visual accompaniment. Each stands alone, a listener could watch it with one or both outputs active, or just listen to one.

sounds interesting to me. not changing the face of popular music or anything silly like that, but interesting.

Well you give some interesting examples, but I think they're still mostly about the format. Gescom could've just put their music on vinyl/cd, and the pre-rpeg track could've just be the first track of the album with rpeg being the second or something. That would've changed nothing about the pressure waves coming out of your speakers. Now where it gets interesting imo is when the format offers new possibilities (like the Fluorescent Grey thing you mentioned), and I don't think that's really the case with laserdiscs (aside from the possible analogness). You could make all sorts of music/video combinations with digital files, dvd's or even vhs tapes.

Guest JJSee

What auxien said!

Also, think of all the weird creative stuff people do with vinyl... Double grooved vinyl, vinyl that's meant to be played backwards, looping tracks, the track on Analog Bubblebath 3 with two tracks in one... This is all neat because of the format; hidden tracks on tapes are really easy to make, on a record it's astounding.

Also, with the Gescom MD, one could do something different but still neat on Laserdisc. I know they programed those things to be really versatile for a few applications, like classrooms (I'm pretty sure you can create playlists and run through a film with it skipping the 'naugty' bits if you were showing a movie to a classroom, that sort of thing).

I don't think anyone's really thinking that people should do this other than an expensive one-shot, maybe, I wouldn't bet on there being any new physical formats anymore, but if people want another format for some reason, they should consider FM disks. Quality of analog, size of a CD or maybe a 7", reintroducing the idea of 'sides', which is a concept that I love, harder to pirate than a CD or any other digital format, etc.

It's still nonsense. People should just make good music and maybe put it in a nice package if they want. And a rip of an fm disk (whatever that may be) wouldn't be that hard to pirate. I don't think putting music on weird media is such a good method of rights management.

Guest JJSee

It's still nonsense. People should just make good music and maybe put it in a nice package if they want. And a rip of an fm disk (whatever that may be) wouldn't be that hard to pirate. I don't think putting music on weird media is such a good method of rights management.

Ignoring all the positives and focusing on one sentence that is still true, DRM isn't the completely hypothetical format's main selling point, that would be... everything else I've said.

What's there to get? They cut short run records, and can also cut to the surface of a laserdisc, so it looks like a laserdisc but plays on a record player.

Archived