IGNORED

Godzilla . 2014 .

Ethel

I thought Godzilla was super cute. Reminded me of a little fat kid. If that fat kid was cute.

thought the same myself, I think it's intentional since Godzilla is supposed to be a good guy even if he's just being a monster doing monster things, him being cute helps cheering for him

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4/10

pros:

- creatures

- sound design

cons:

- everything else

I can agree.

It's a tough one to dissect for me because a lot of it was ... Good! It all added up and made a lot of sense and the characters had motives and we had reasons to care for the characters and there was build up and awesome monster scenes and etc and etc...

The movie has a big focus on characters and showing their side of story. And for me ... >> none << of this was particularly engaging. It's boring to sit through for two or whatever hours.

I'd enjoy a bit more soul(??) in a film ... I mean.. I can enjoy dumb action films and smart action films and whatever. But for a film so invested in its pacing and it's building up and its characters it's just a bit soulless and unengaging.

And like, no matter how awesome the bit at the end where Godzilla (spoiler spoiler spoiler) is, nothing really saves it from generally genuinely being a boring film.

exactly!

You have to engage a different part of your brain. You have to realize that good films are rare, especially things you can see at a theatre. With my brain properly tuned, I enjoyed predicting the archetypal plot with 100% accuracy, but was primally awed at the scale of the monsters and the somewhat original sound design.

And the ending fatality makes me want to play a revamped Primal Rage.

Just saw it tonight. As with most films in this genre I could take or leave the human-centric narrative but the portions with the creatures were extremely well done, the sound design of the MUTO creatures in particular! Really enjoyed it!

I also liked the MUTO sounds. Same sound designers as the "Transformers" films, I believe. Say what you want about those films, but they had some amazing sound design as well. That's an aspect of those films that I think people overlook, mainly because they were annoyed by other things.

Guest bitroast

No not at all. I went and saw transformers 1 and 2 at cinemas and it was totally just to gawk at the visuals and audio. The films are royal hunks of junk but the effects were incredible :)

i saw transformers 2 because of that sequence at the beginning, but the terrible remaining 88 minutes make it an unpleasant memory.

godzilla was definitely less of hunk of junk.

godzilla was definitely less of hunk of junk.

godzilla has a big leg up because it allows itself to become fully invested in the subject matter, with none of Transformers' jokey irony. If the sequel can balance this with an engaging plot then we might have a purdie darn good big lizard movie

I really enjoyed the film, great cinematography and the effects/sound design are amazing. The last half is definitely superior to the first but the set up felt like an authentic Godzilla film, the fight sequences will destroy all Japanese minds. I hope it makes a billion dollars overseas and here in the US. Gareth pulled this one out with much success imo.

I've not seen this yet but i think the only way it'll work is if they give the creature a little humanistic sensuality. That's what King Kong had. I worry for Godzilla, i really do.

He does have that, he is super nice in this one. Even watches out for people and buildings, really thoughtful. I am not kidding. The original does not look better.

He does have that, he is super nice in this one. Even watches out for people and buildings, really thoughtful. I am not kidding. The original does not look better.

the explanation they gave for this was ridiculous, is there any species in real life that acts as the protector of the ecosystem?

hehe, totally and I am not sure Deer, probably not but this is Godzilla. Godzilla is historically one of the nicest monsters ever created by the human mind. Nicer than Snyder's Superman.

I also liked the MUTO sounds. Same sound designers as the "Transformers" films, I believe. Say what you want about those films, but they had some amazing sound design as well. That's an aspect of those films that I think people overlook, mainly because they were annoyed by other things.

A brief clip of the MUTO sounds has been posted by the official website:

http://www.godzillamovie.com/snd/sfx/intro.mp3

You can hear so many layers of other animals in there!

Archived