IGNORED

Zoviet France - The Tables Are Turning

kichiguy

very nice! My best ZF score in an actual record store was finding a copy of the Just an Illusion wooden box with CD for $15 at the Ameoba in LA. Was probably the last time i experienced near physical arousal while shopping

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only physical editions of theirs I have are the aforementioned CD and a vinyl copy of SHOUTING AT THE GROUND on Red Rhino Records. I have no plans of buying and/or downloading legally/illegally any music by any other artist anytime in the near future.

Ben Ponton responded to an email I sent to him, that I should not hold out for any purchasable downloads of their back catalog, being that there are no plans in the near future for that to happen.

He said the new album should be out this month...

luhwindan is back.

(penis-free, this time.)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that :zoviet*france: took legal action against The Reformed Faction of Soviet France, for using a likeness of their namesake, which resulted in the shortened band name and "Vota" CD title. After this, none of the members want to talk about it.

Reformed Faction have put out several albums since, perhaps challenging the people behind :zoviet*france: to put something as good out, in order to justify their claim, in a way.

Perhaps part of a settlement between :zoviet*france: and Reformed Faction legally prohibits Mark Spybey and Robin Story talking about it.

If the new :zoviet*france: album is as good as Vota, The War Against..., or UNTIL..., I will be very well pleased!

It seems to me that :zoviet*france: took legal action against The Reformed Faction of Soviet France, for using a likeness of their namesake, which resulted in the shortened band name and "Vota" CD title. After this, none of the members want to talk about it.

Reformed Faction have put out several albums since, perhaps challenging the people behind :zoviet*france: to put something as good out, in order to justify their claim, in a way.

To be honest I never never understood the problems of ZF to this extreme. There are a lot of stories and rumours they ended up in the original line-up but I wonder why it was necessary to get a big distance between members with the addition of legal actions etc etc.

I would welcome a book about ZF but since there is a lot of people keeping the mouth shut this will be very unlikely.

I am not certain if legal action was taken, but it seems that it could have been, to me.

Also, I have not heard any rumors.

Truth is something I would rather hear, but they who have are not willing to share it with me.

In their words, "it is a long story."

It is not important for me to know what happened and why.

I am not interested in a book nearly as much as the music.

To me, their records are more than enough but they should be easier to find and afford.

It would be a dream if the back catalog were reissued, with GRIS seeing a digital release.

More stuff like Music for a Spaghetti Western would be wonderful!

Until then, I will be tracking down the original CDs only to sell them back again, before I rip the AIFF files to my hard disk.

Collecting the music of many others no longer interests me.

I would rather make my own sounds, and keep digital documents of :zoviet*france:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This has finally been announced. 2lp and CD available on Nov 18. It's a soundtrack and it's expensive due to elaborate packaging.

Also doing a CD reissue of Digilogue over at Soleilmoon.

http://soleilmoon.com/store/searchresults.lasso?LabelName=SOLEILMOON&ArtistName=ZOVIET

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 1 month later...

just got my copy in the mail. Very pleased! The only part I'm not totally thrilled about was the price and the lack of music on side 4 (it's blank) but that being said it's very fucking good. Two tracks really stand out for me and I haven't listened to it enough to know which ones specifically, they do this almost Cluster-esque krautrock jam thing that's pretty uncharacteristic of them, maybe sort of Decriminalization of Country Music but more composed and better? There is also an interesting that sounds like a recording of a locked groove on a vinyl record with stuff happening on top of it.
Looking forward to mixing this together with 7 10 12 on 2 turntables.

The international shipping tag on this thing is insane, but the soleilmoon fella was nice enough to offer to carry a copy for me to India when he visits in jan :) Can't wait to hear it. So glad to hear to music lives up to the hype, I was a little skeptical when I heard the word soundtrack.

Also think their last release may have flown under the radar here on WATMM.

yes it had, but i nabbed it when they posted it on facebook :wink:. How do you like the new nommo ogo album? I asked my friend who was the lucky few to get one of the 23 cds and your name may have come up :beer:

after their last album on RLR (gonna have to pick that up on LP at some point) they've got a fan for life in me. i actually think i grabbed a copy of SON within the first few mins of it going on sale. my last playthrough was sitting across across the boudhanath stupa in kathmandu under the full moon earlier this week...corny as it sounds it really was the perfect setting. my first impression of the album is that its really beautiful, with vitriol being the highlight so far. the lyrics and ritual overtones took a moment to sit right with me but the whole sound eventually came together in a pretty endearing way ;) happy to own one of those cds and hope to experience them live in the californian redwoods at some point

* To mark the release of the new :zoviet*france: album, ‘The Tables Are Turning’, on Soleilmoon Recordings, this edition consists entirely of unreleased alternative versions and unused recordings from the album sessions

01 :zoviet*france: - Lost

02 :zoviet*france: - The Grit in the Clouds [v2]

03 :zoviet*france: - Moss Balls

04 :zoviet*france: - Sweeping Arbor Low [v1]

05 :zoviet*france: - If My Memory Left

06 :zoviet*france: - Tripped Starlings

07 :zoviet*france: - Gravilin

08 :zoviet*france: - Green Air [v1]

09 :zoviet*france: - A Longer Moment of Film

10 :zoviet*france: - Flam [v1]

11 :zoviet*france: - The Fire of Revolution [v4]

12 :zoviet*france: - Prophecy Loved a Child [v2]

http://zovietfrance.podbean.com/2013/11/26/a-duck-in-a-tree-2013-11-23-twice-turned/

Archived