IGNORED

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles ("III")

Joyrex

Thank you, Gocab. Every time I hear someone talk about Crystal Castles I have to fight the urge to bring that shit up. I do not respect any band or artist who plagiarizes to that degree. Sampling? Great. Taking a whole song/piece of art and making money off of it without even giving credit to the creator? Evil. That is the most greedy, lazy, inconsiderate bullshit ever.

I'm sure everyone has that "I wish I had made that" feeling, but if you have integrity, you shake it off and try to make something better.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Crystal Castles has used at least 2 or 3 chiptunes from 8bitcollective, not just the one instance that's more widely publicized (although it clearly isn't well known enough)

glad somebody else unloaded before i had a chance to.

Its an opinion based on the impression I get after soaking up the various media related to them and their history in magazines and on the internet. I'm not afraid to take a lie detector test if that's what you want. :emotawesomepm9:

Thank you, Gocab. Every time I hear someone talk about Crystal Castles I have to fight the urge to bring that shit up. I do not respect any band or artist who plagiarizes to that degree. Sampling? Great. Taking a whole song/piece of art and making money off of it without even giving credit to the creator? Evil. That is the most greedy, lazy, inconsiderate bullshit ever.

I'm sure everyone has that "I wish I had made that" feeling, but if you have integrity, you shake it off and try to make something better.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Crystal Castles has used at least 2 or 3 chiptunes from 8bitcollective, not just the one instance that's more widely publicized (although it clearly isn't well known enough)

Well, colour me interested - what song(s) were they purported having stole from? I personally don't buy into any of the media hype/"interviews" with these artists because unless you actually meet them for yourselves, I reserve judgement as much as possible. Personally I could care less about CC as people (they seem like a couple of weirdos), but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying their music.

Its an opinion based on the impression I get after soaking up the various media related to them and their history in magazines and on the internet. I'm not afraid to take a lie detector test if that's what you want. :emotawesomepm9:

Well, colour me interested - what song(s) were they purported having stole from? I personally don't buy into any of the media hype/"interviews" with these artists because unless you actually meet them for yourselves, I reserve judgement as much as possible. Personally I could care less about CC as people (they seem like a couple of weirdos), but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying their music.

it's a couple of B-sides, like insectica. they took the chiptune track and had alice sing over it. iirc they eventually gave credit to the chiptune artists (unlike timbaland, which i was righteously pissed off at), so i don't think it's as big of a deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Castles_(band)#Copyright_disputes

you guys are overreacting imo.

Edited by Hoodie

Well, having finally heard the album, I must say i really, really like it - some great songs on here, and overall I think I like it better than the first two albums. Shame it's so short (40 mins total for 12 tracks).

i don't really care about Crystal Castles either way, but the "borrowing" of chiptunes isn't an isolatedevent. They used piece of art by Trevor Brown, put it on tshirts/cds etc, made some cash off of it and didn't bother to toss the guy a credit. The whole fiasco is documented on his blog:

http://www.pileup.com/babyart/blog/?p=81

JUST SAYIN'

I think he had it resolved eventually. It involved lawyers and shit.

I think they have some goods songs regardless of their lacking artistic integrity or moral principles. I don't think they are outstanding or anything though.

• 9 years later...

Just randomly listened back. Fuuuck production is so unique! Quite every track also has strong emotive profile.

Also remember that I didn't appreciate some of the tracks that now are my favorite... Such as Wrath Of God

I am now a lover of lofi-dub techno... Comparing to that, this style is so original and it's from 2012

On 11/15/2012 at 7:15 PM, Adieu said:

I think they have some goods songs regardless of their lacking artistic integrity or moral principles. I don't think they are outstanding or anything though.

Lacking integrity or morality of any kind :)

In an interview with The Daily Beast, Glass and four other women came forward alleging that Kath had sexually preyed on them when they were teenagers and he was in his mid to late twenties. With Kath using his fame in Crystal Castles and Kill Cheerleader to get in contact with them at a young age, the alleged victims stated that he took advantage of their naivety and supplied them with drugs and alcohol in order to coerce them into sexual acts.[17]

Glass later gave an interview with The Guardian and further elaborated on Kath's behavior towards her, commenting that he had thrown her out of a moving car, torn her hair out, lied about the nature of her rib injury, and had at several points gone against doctor's orders and made her perform after receiving a concussion. Kath also held onto Glass' passport and controlled her finances, never letting Glass have her own cell phone or credit card until a couple of years before she left. Glass also mentioned that if she ever thought of leaving Crystal Castles, Kath would threaten to replace her with someone "who's a better singer and who would put up with a lot worse than [she] would". After discovering that Kath had done similar actions towards other women, Glass felt it was her responsibility to come forward