IGNORED

A Movie/Documentary on the History of the Roland TR-808

Joyrex

really curious to hear skrillex on this

0.jpg

"I use one all the time. Well, actually, it's an emulator... but it's pretty cool."

maybe its just this pic - but his skin looks like Anakin's when Luke takes off Darth Vader's mask

unmasked3.jpg

Yeah i gotta say - i mean I know the 808 was an important piece of kit but really? A full length documentary? Should be like a 20 minute bit, similar to that one on the Amen break.

I'm sure they could fill an hour easily and substantive material: intro about drum machines, the story of Roland, the debut and use of it early on, famous example song, good interviews (fingers crossed) continued resurgence in it's usage, why it's so distinct, blah blah. It's plausible for it to be a great doc, but it could drag on easily. I hope it's decent.

So, basically, crib the script from the wiki. Get a few interviews, show a few tunes and you're done.

i think you're setting the bar a bit low for what constitutes a "great doc"...but to each their own... :flower:

and fuck questlove btw. or should I say ?uestlove. AGHHHH people who look like they don't care and lay back on the couch and look fat. BOOOOOO

Hahahaha, seriously?

Yeah i gotta say - i mean I know the 808 was an important piece of kit but really? A full length documentary? Should be like a 20 minute bit, similar to that one on the Amen break.

I'm sure they could fill an hour easily and substantive material: intro about drum machines, the story of Roland, the debut and use of it early on, famous example song, good interviews (fingers crossed) continued resurgence in it's usage, why it's so distinct, blah blah. It's plausible for it to be a great doc, but it could drag on easily. I hope it's decent.

So, basically, crib the script from the wiki. Get a few interviews, show a few tunes and you're done.

i think you're setting the bar a bit low for what constitutes a "great doc"...but to each their own... :flower:

This is true. I shouldn't throw "documentary" around like that, I mean like "great youtube interview/history program split in 9 parts" - I'd enjoy that.

Guest jasondonervan

really curious to hear skrillex on this

0.jpg

"I use one all the time. Well, actually, it's an emulator... but it's pretty cool."

maybe its just this pic - but his skin looks like Anakin's when Luke takes off Darth Vader's mask

unmasked3.jpg

Kim-Jong-Il-2.jpg

a documentary about drum machines would be cool ,a documentary about the 808 just seems like myopic retro fetishism

Thank you for stating clearly what I have been trying to force out of my brain.

Exactly - drum machines and their history, especially as it pertains to electronic music, would be sweet.

and fuck questlove btw. or should I say ?uestlove. AGHHHH people who look like they don't care and lay back on the couch and look fat. BOOOOOO

Hahahaha, seriously?

yeah sorry i was in a bad place then, but seriously his whole attitude makes me angry. also why is he an authority on the 808?

a documentary about drum machines would be cool ,a documentary about the 808 just seems like myopic retro fetishism

Thank you for stating clearly what I have been trying to force out of my brain.

Exactly - drum machines and their history, especially as it pertains to electronic music, would be sweet.

Yeah that would be a lot more interesting.

And I'd rather hear about what cool stuff some [then-]unknowns did with a dusty pawn shop drum machine that's still mostly considered a cheap piece of junk (e.g. a Yamaha RX15), than how a few well-known producers used a well-known and now very expensive "vintage" drum machine to make well-known beats. Tell me something I don't already know.

yeah, i like the idea of a documentary being informative and shedding light on obscure things like what type of drum machines were used in dancehall music in the 80s, or which obscure drum machine was used on this famous track, etc. When it becomes all about one piece of gear, an 808 or a 303 it just seems awfully stupid to me. But hey, thats just me, i've never suffered from the roland fetish sickness

according to WATMM's consensus, I should stop listening to music that makes use of the 303, the 101, the 808, the 707, the 606 and the amen break.

WATMM.

You should.

according to WATMM's consensus, I should stop listening to music that makes use of the 303, the 101, the 808, the 707, the 606 and the amen break.

WATMM.

You should.

I played one of your tracks on my radio show the other day.

off topic i know, but hey - watmm

WATMM.

You should.

I played one of your tracks on my radio show the other day.

off topic i know, but hey - watmm

W A T M M

extremely annoying trailer

yeah, i like the idea of a documentary being informative and shedding light on obscure things like what type of drum machines were used in dancehall music in the 80s, or which obscure drum machine was used on this famous track, etc. When it becomes all about one piece of gear, an 808 or a 303 it just seems awfully stupid to me. But hey, thats just me, i've never suffered from the roland fetish sickness

i love these machines but i couldn't agree more to what you're saying

Archived