IGNORED

Culture In Decline

Dale

We used to watch lions eat human beings for entertainment, we used to burn people because we thought they were witches.

There is no such thing as culture in decline, we used to be much much worse.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to watch lions eat human beings for entertainment, we used to burn people because we thought they were witches.

There is no such thing as culture in decline, we used to be much much worse.

but have you ever seen our TV shows? theres no way we AREN'T in decline!!! :crazy:

You could probably say the same about some books or plays from the 1800's or whatever.

There is always going to be shit entertainment and good entertainment that doesn't mean the culture is in decline.

The only reason you think culture is in decline is because you are living in the moment.

Indeed, started watching the first vid with an open mind but got bored when he started implying that all the mindless tv crap is cooked up by the Man to pacify the masses. Of course a lot of stuff on tv has a bias - trying to get you to buy a product or ideology (eg. Fox) - but the simple truth is most people enjoy mindless crap (myself included). And btw, even poor people enjoy escapist entertainment. It doesn't mean they don't understand the larger forces at work.

the garbage entertainment literature, television, movies, and music that are so proliferate at the moment are an amalgamation of 'art' as a commodity in the free market juxtaposed with decreased standards in entertainment. implying that it's all a big conspiracy to pacify people is giving the powers that be too much credit. they're just making money giving the masses the entertainment that they want.

Again, I have to hand it to the Zeitgeist lads for their dogged determination, but there needs to be waaaaaay more substantive evidence and even more importantly recommendations/outlines for the plans that they propose other than this incredibly broad and generalized idea of a "resource based economy".

Also, perhaps Im the only one that noticed this but I found it incredibly disturbing how Mr. Joseph made a few nods to the presumed natural authoritarian order of human existence.

Ill admit I was excited to see what he had to say after he mentioned studying economics textbooks and treatises, but there was absolutely no new information in this presentation, and the information that was there was again, incredibly over-generalized.

"Adam Smith was important, he believed in the 'invisible hand'. Now everyone else believes it."

Ok, fine I guess, but there is waaay too much nuance left out of these types of statements. I understand Mr. Joseph is trying to fit this all into an easily digestible half hour or so, but when you are quite literally suggesting the overthrow of our entire current socio-economic system, more specific information is absolutely necessary.

I stopped watching after he described "how we, the human family have chosen a way to organise ourselves..." yadayadayada. Yes, "we" have chosen "a" way....as if. And mr. Zeitgeist is going to convince us there is another "way." A better one. Sorry, I don't have the patience to sit through the bullcrap. There are lots of ways. Nobody holds definite answers. Or am I missing the joke.

I probably am.

Guest Iain C

the garbage entertainment literature, television, movies, and music that are so proliferate at the moment are an amalgamation of 'art' as a commodity in the free market juxtaposed with decreased standards in entertainment. implying that it's all a big conspiracy to pacify people is giving the powers that be too much credit. they're just making money giving the masses the entertainment that they want.

This. It's just capital acting in its own interests.

I tend to agree with that, but I also wonder if its half conscious/half subconsciously against this...like a cultural commodity fetishism...in some weird psychoanalytical sense we desire and are thus reteaching ourselves to embrace instant gratification above everything else, though we somewhat intrinsically know that by doing that on a consistent level culturally, we fall into decline into more base and thus unintelligent pursuits

Again, I have to hand it to the Zeitgeist lads for their dogged determination, but there needs to be waaaaaay more substantive evidence and even more importantly recommendations/outlines for the plans that they propose other than this incredibly broad and generalized idea of a "resource based economy".

Also, perhaps Im the only one that noticed this but I found it incredibly disturbing how Mr. Joseph made a few nods to the presumed natural authoritarian order of human existence.

Ill admit I was excited to see what he had to say after he mentioned studying economics textbooks and treatises, but there was absolutely no new information in this presentation, and the information that was there was again, incredibly over-generalized.

"Adam Smith was important, he believed in the 'invisible hand'. Now everyone else believes it."

Ok, fine I guess, but there is waaay too much nuance left out of these types of statements. I understand Mr. Joseph is trying to fit this all into an easily digestible half hour or so, but when you are quite literally suggesting the overthrow of our entire current socio-economic system, more specific information is absolutely necessary.

lol is that what he actually said?

Guest chunky

I love it. Great video. Haven't watched it yet, but it's brilliant. Maybe. Anyone got a non-youtube link so that I know what I'm praising here? :cerious:

I stopped watching after he described "how we, the human family have chosen a way to organise ourselves..." yadayadayada. Yes, "we" have chosen "a" way....as if. And mr. Zeitgeist is going to convince us there is another "way." A better one. Sorry, I don't have the patience to sit through the bullcrap. There are lots of ways. Nobody holds definite answers. Or am I missing the joke.

I probably am.

What about a "way" where human beings aren't exploited and debased by an amoral destructive insatiable system that is destroying the planet and doesn't actually benefit humanity at large?

I'm venting against the idea that there is one "we" and "one way". There are multiple on both accounts. The scary thing is that mr Zeitgeist seems to imply there is one we and that he holds an answer for a better way. He perceives some totalitarian world-system and proposes another, equally totalitarian. That's scary. Very scary. And at that point alone he lost all credibility in my eyes. No matter how good his proposals are.

This isn't some new idea... The whole we are one thing, its been around for a while not. But it doesn't matter if we are seen as separate entities (which can never truly be true) or one (which also isn't really ever true) because either or can be work out bad or good. But...

Humans no doubt have brains and Humans no doubt comprise the majority of the planet. So whether we like it or not, our combined thoughts and actions which influence this Earth make up a system or a larger brain if you will. If not so much the Earth needing a brain (cause why would it need a brain) but a consequence of just one person having one to begin with. It adds up, and the quantity small or large changes outcomes for ourselves and this Earth.

Only 5 min in vid, I'll watch the rest now.

I love it. Great video. Haven't watched it yet, but it's brilliant. Maybe. Anyone got a non-youtube link so that I know what I'm praising here? :cerious:

Not worth your time chunk, you'd be better off trying to get a concussion off a hammer, that'd be more enlightening.

I think the guy is just trying to get it through as many peoples heads what is so terribly wrong with how things currently operate.

Seems like a good first step to me. Anything in between, like how he views us as one whole are just sentiments.

Guest chunky

there was an interesting story on the daily mail website yesterday.a young graffiti artist had drawn a mural on the side of a house in a street in london. the mural was a drawing of hook nosed jews sitting round a table that had corpses beneath it while counting money . there was a drawing of a colourful pyramid . is the pyramid a symbol for the nwo conspiracy? they say symbolism is for people with nothing to say. anyway some people took offence at the image and complained to the local council

and the police might try to take it down.sad stuff all round. if you look at the history of russia,poland,and germany from the point of view of their christian kings and then check the jewish histories too thenyou can see that even this sort of nwo stuff will just lead us into another pointless war.youtube is the modern arena for mob behaviour and agitation. look at the loonies in france who threw hand grenades into a shop. it's barbaric .

Wasn't it Adam Smith himself who warned that the invisible hand wouldn't function in a highly globalised economy?

Yup. In fact he goes on to say that if colonialism continues that increased government centralized supervision of economies will be absolutely necessary for stability and ensuring a relative amount of equality (compared to the "free market fallacy")

there was an interesting story on the daily mail website yesterday.a young graffiti artist had drawn a mural on the side of a house in a street in london. the mural was a drawing of hook nosed jews sitting round a table that had corpses beneath it while counting money . there was a drawing of a colourful pyramid . is the pyramid a symbol for the nwo conspiracy? they say symbolism is for people with nothing to say. anyway some people took offence at the image and complained to the local council

and the police might try to take it down.sad stuff all round. if you look at the history of russia,poland,and germany from the point of view of their christian kings and then check the jewish histories too thenyou can see that even this sort of nwo stuff will just lead us into another pointless war.youtube is the modern arena for mob behaviour and agitation. look at the loonies in france who threw hand grenades into a shop. it's barbaric .

it was probably taken down because of the blatant anti-Semitic shit, but thats just my guess.

Archived