IGNORED

Recommend me a new sythesizer

murve33

I am selling my workstation in the nearish future and I am going to use the money (probably $1000) to buy new equipment. I know I want a loop pedal, and an Alpha Juno 2. Other than that, I'm not sure what to get.

I want a keyboard, and I want it to focus on live performance. I don't like using computers for making music, or editing the music after I play it, I just want to be able to jam on it and edit patches/twiddle knobs in real time.

Do you have any suggestions? Also, can ya'll just rattle off some of the big name synthesizers. I'm pretty much only familiar with Roland (Been thinking about an SH-201, but I figured I should consult the forums before I make a decision this big).

Also, I'm in the process of moving, and this is my last internetting session for the while as far as I know. Be back soon.

Edit: See other questions.

i seriously wouldn't bother with an SH-201...

if you want live performance and no computing then you're typically going to need something with a built-in sequencer, ideally multi-track, which generally means a workstation, which you already have.

so to sum up: get a modular system.

Yeah, don't bother with the SH-201, apparently it's awfully buggy over time etc.

Take a look at the Alesis Micron and Ion - you're on to a winner if you can find the Ion going cheap.

Maybe I should just start this thread over and ask more fundamental questions.

I am not an electronic musician, I just play electronic instruments in real-time. This pretty much means I won't ever even use a computer, I'll just blast shit out of an amp while someone else drums. I certainly don't need my current workstation.

1. I'm definitely leaning towards Synths with built-in keyboards, so do I even need a sequencer?

2. Do I need to worry about MIDI and all of that shit if I'm just going to be blasting shit out of an amp? If not, would that mean the sky's the limit?

3. Does it matter if I get analogue or digital, or is that just a matter of preference?

Guest kokeboka

If you like the idea of using pre-programmed beats/sequences, you should consider getting a second-hand groovebox. Most of them come with a variety of ROM preset voices, which may not sound too bad through an amplifier. I have used an Rm1x, but there are loads of them around (check out the drum machine thread). An MPC would be fun as well, although it doesn't have a keyboard per se.

I wouldn't go with Roland or Korg. They're the easier brands to find, but IMO most Roland is overpriced and unimpressive, most Korg is nasty-sounding and poor build quality - unless you go after their vintage stuff on ebay, in which case you might find some gems. As far as modern gear, you might want to check out Waldorf. Haven't used Alesis synths, but I do have an old Novation VA synth that holds its own against the SH201 and the microkorg.

I am not an electronic musician, I just play electronic instruments in real-time. This pretty much means I won't ever even use a computer, I'll just blast shit out of an amp while someone else drums. I certainly don't need my current workstation.

1. I'm definitely leaning towards Synths with built-in keyboards, so do I even need a sequencer?

2. Do I need to worry about MIDI and all of that shit if I'm just going to be blasting shit out of an amp? If not, would that mean the sky's the limit?

3. Does it matter if I get analogue or digital, or is that just a matter of preference?

so you just want a keyboard to play in real-time, no sequencing required etc. yeah, sky's the limit then, apart from your budget. i'd recommend a Roland Juno 6, Juno 60 or a Juno 106 - the 106 had MIDI and stuff and is the most modern but non of that really matters so all would be great for your needs. should be able to get any of them in excellent condition for $1000

roland-juno-6-236901.jpg

juno60.jpg

Juno106B-1.jpg

If you like the idea of using pre-programmed beats/sequences, you should consider getting a second-hand groovebox. Most of them come with a variety of ROM preset voices, which may not sound too bad through an amplifier. I have used an Rm1x, but there are loads of them around (check out the drum machine thread). An MPC would be fun as well, although it doesn't have a keyboard per se.

I wouldn't go with Roland or Korg. They're the easier brands to find, but IMO most Roland is overpriced and unimpressive, most Korg is nasty-sounding and poor build quality - unless you go after their vintage stuff on ebay, in which case you might find some gems. As far as modern gear, you might want to check out Waldorf. Haven't used Alesis synths, but I do have an old Novation VA synth that holds its own against the SH201 and the microkorg.

exactly, even grooveboxes sound good with effects added

dont know how well regarded these are on the greater electronic music scale of things, but i own a Novation xstation (61key) and i think it's pretty rad for its price.

think you could get it for roughly 350?

Guest sirch

what BCM said. my first thought was something like a Juno.

the Juno 60 and 106 have patch memory so you can store any cool sounds you create that you might wanna keep.

i'd go for the 60, myself. bloody lovely sounding synth.

but you could get anything really.

are you wanting to record what you blast out with a drummer, or just jam?

I'd like to get a groovebox and then distort it with some sort of effects pedal if I were to be recording. But mostly I'll be jamming with a drummer, and then probably recording with an external recorder (not wiring from the instrument into it)

I apologize for not knowing any sort of technical terms. I'm also typing in a hurry because the library is closing.

I'll check out your examples next time I have headphones, in the meantime, thank you and keep them coming.

Get this one - it's in Minnesota.

5Nc5Gf5M43I73N93p8c7374fa5108aaf61587.jpg

http://minneapolis.c...3116400574.html

Vintage, analog, midi, polyphonic and all that...

You might have enough left over to get this one too, as a cool digital synth.

5Fc5S25Jf3Mb3F13I9c7r99380994fe5614ee.jpg

http://minneapolis.c...3167142907.html

Redwood falls isn't in my neck of the woods, sadly. That JX8P sounds sooooo 80's.

The MS2000 is impressive. Wish I could research all of your suggestions, but apparently my public library doesn't like youtube videos.

so you just want a keyboard to play in real-time, no sequencing required etc. yeah, sky's the limit then, apart from your budget. i'd recommend a Roland Juno 6, Juno 60 or a Juno 106 - the 106 had MIDI and stuff and is the most modern but non of that really matters so all would be great for your needs. should be able to get any of them in excellent condition for $1000

roland-juno-6-236901.jpg

juno60.jpg

Juno106B-1.jpg

I was about to suggest the same, not for any smart reason, though; I just love the Juno 106 and 60.

Or you could get a CS80.

Archived