IGNORED

Ceephax - Cro-Magnox

vertsk8er419

A bit late to the party, but this release is fantastic.

Has Ceephax done anything else on the more serious/sci-fi end like this?

Volume 2 on Rephlex has some very nice stuff. Volume 1 is pretty silly though. Silly but good, for the most part.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Roksen Creek

Volume 2 on Rephlex has some very nice stuff. Volume 1 is pretty silly though. Silly but good, for the most part.

Cheers, I'll check it out

Yeah, vol. 2 + a lot of his old stuff has more of those serious gloomy vibes on more than a few tracks, like on Exidy Tours and Ceephax Acid Crew (2003), and this one: http://www.discogs.com/Ceephax-Acid-Crew-Untitled/release/23998

Guest Roksen Creek

Yeah, vol. 2 + a lot of his old stuff has more of those serious gloomy vibes on more than a few tracks, like on Exidy Tours and Ceephax Acid Crew (2003), and this one: http://www.discogs.com/Ceephax-Acid-Crew-Untitled/release/23998

oh cool, most of these are on his bandcamp page.

feel like an idiot for not taking him seriously before, I just thought he was Tom's goofy brother who made some silly spectrum tunes...

• 6 months later...

uniced acid emirate is a awesome album & all singles/EPs from 1998 to 2007 are also good! i like a lot of ceephax (acid crew)'s music! just this : Ceephax & Acid Quiff - Wild Westie/Romantic Gestures EP is not good, the sound is not terrible.

I only JUST heard this album for the first time, and through the entirety of the second half I was in a state of genuine ecstacy (no dugs). It's so rare that happens... his melodic composition is possibly the best of any electronic musician I'm aware of. In terms of melodic complexity, no one's going to beat Tom, but for beautifully crafted, memorable melodies (like, stuff you could actually sing) Ceephax may well be #1. And the production is perfect. God damn... ugh... so good. Were either of their parents musicians/composers?

I only JUST heard this album for the first time, and through the entirety of the second half I was in a state of genuine ecstacy (no dugs). It's so rare that happens... his melodic composition is possibly the best of any electronic musician I'm aware of. In terms of melodic complexity, no one's going to beat Tom, but for beautifully crafted, memorable melodies (like, stuff you could actually sing) Ceephax may well be #1. And the production is perfect. God damn... ugh... so good. Were either of their parents musicians/composers?

I remember once Tom saying his father was a drummer, but in another more recent interview he stated this was a lie he made up to make his experiments in merging real bass with fake drums seem not so pretentious. Can't remember what his dad's actual job was but it wasn't musical I don't believe.

The album is mega awesome, I also add. I remember feeling a little uneasy at the price but the album itself is so solid it didn't last long. Ceephax is right up there with the best imo.

i coincidentally just put this on a bit ago. and yeah its among the best electronics ever imo. the synths are so deep and thick and huge and the notes they are doing are just really notey and good. i keep saying this but i feel like lots of the analord stuff is so terribly boring compared to this. this is probably the album that shows what can really be done with just a focus on these types of synths and drum machines, in this type of electronic music context.

i coincidentally just put this on a bit ago. and yeah its among the best electronics ever imo. the synths are so deep and thick and huge and the notes they are doing are just really notey and good. i keep saying this but i feel like lots of the analord stuff is so terribly boring compared to this. this is probably the album that shows what can really be done with just a focus on these types of synths and drum machines, in this type of electronic music context.

I wouldn't compare Analord and Cro Magnox like that. Analord can sound bland when you first discover it but once you get more familiar with it all the sounds reveal their nature and it starts to appear very lively, which is amazing when you think about how minimalist it is somehow. The music of Cro Magnox emphasize a lot more directly with the listener. Its retro sounds give it a basis where the music can grow.

The aesthetics are completely different and even somehow opposed so I wouldn't say one surpass the other or something.

Also, for those who got the bandcamp release, did you notice the individual images for each track, a la Quarastice.quadrange ep? Pretty cool, most of them fit the track nicely.

• 6 months later...

FINALLY (Yeah I know) got around to listening to this and I have to say - what a fantastic fucking album. I had no idea Andy made tunes like this. I admittedly haven't listened to nearly as much Ceephax as I should, but this really stands out for me. 10/10, flawless record.

Where do I go from here?? What are some other essentials of his?

FINALLY (Yeah I know) got around to listening to this and I have to say - what a fantastic fucking album. I had no idea Andy made tunes like this. I admittedly haven't listened to nearly as much Ceephax as I should, but this really stands out for me. 10/10, flawless record.

Hard to tell, this album is quite unique in his discography, it's more relaxed somehow. An EP I love is Psychtapolis because it's very varied and the tunes are pretty dense. United Acid Emirates is full of banging tunes, acid everywhere, full of energy and very direct (you can find those elements in a lot of his releases actually). Exidy Tours is also great, it's like the straightest "IDM" Ceephax album if that makes any sense.

Those are the most consistent releases he put out imo but he made a lot more and every album that I know has its pearls. have fun

Acid Quakers 1000, came out in 2000. that's my favourite album of his, classic ceephax!

FSK 005 is also very excellent.

Archived