IGNORED

William Basinski - Disintegration Loops

Guest kyriakos

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

I think DLP 4 is my favorite. The way it starts out fucked already, with those haunting high notes, and the soft plodding of the little melody... and because it just absolutely falls apart into nothingness moreso than any of the others.

DLP 3 is a close second, but honestly every single one and every variation of them are all just great. I listen to these a lot.

I miss the days of watmm where you could argue for 75 pages about whether an obscure ambient musician who self-released cdrs of his loops was actually a villainous mastermind who perpetrated a disgusting hoax on par with the appropriation of a death-to-the-jews style nuclear bombing.

"the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he was an unsuccessful musician in the 80s and a mildly successful drone musician in the aughts"? lol

yes lol i think about this a lot

• 1 year later...

https://blog.discogs.com/en/the-35-saddest-albums-of-all-time/?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=discogs&utm_campaign=culture_2019_11_27

William Basinski – The Disintegration Loops (2002)

It hasn’t been too long since we spoke about The Disintegration Loops. But, that was for a different reasons, and here we are again. Don’t get me wrong, I could talk for the rest of my life about this masterpiece and never get tired of it.

The story behind these loops are well known, but just in case you’ve never heard of it: William Basinski intended to transfer different tapes he recorded in the 1980s to digital in order to preseve their content. When he started with the process, he realized that the tapes were already deteriorated but, instead of trying a different approach, he played those tapes over and over again in order to further contribute to their disintegration. By pure chance, he finished the project on the morning of 9/11 in Brooklyn from where he and his friends watched the twin towers collapse. He filmed video footage of the attack during the last hour of daylight from a roof, and the following morning he played “Disintegration Loop 1.1” as a soundtrack to the aftermath.

Whether it happened unexpectedly or not feels irrelevant when listening to this music. Listening to these tapes disintegrate is a transcendent and unforgettable experience. And thanks to its context, one of the saddest ones as well.

Saddest moment

The moment when you read the history behind the album.

lmao @ saddest moment

Archived