IGNORED

William Basinski - Disintegration Loops

Guest kyriakos

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marina, he has other stuff too. I really love "el camino real" and "melancholia"

Thanks for the recommendation, will check them out. As I know myself, I maybe have a different opinion about him now………

Great stuff. I'm sure you and I discussed this back along but wasn't there some indications maybe two years ago that this might get a commercial release? I seem to recall some ghastly proposed cover art.

I think this stuff works pretty well but I didn't care so much for it when it first surfaced on the Internet. The footage is twenty years old now.

After checking back some of his stuff I must say, I have changed my mind- some of his music is nice and nocturnal, while others could be from Akira Rabelais as well. Nevertheless, I'm not a rich man, so this box set will pass along without me.

92982 & The River work well for me. Thanks for spotting that topic again on me :)

The River might be my favourite release by him, It's certainly the most visual. I can completely imagine waking up in the middle of a humid summer night looking out from a dingy tower block flat onto a busy cityscape flowing past below as a light drizzle start to envelop the place. Or is that just me.

So did anyone here go to the live performance of Disintegration Loops 1 last night at the South Bank. Originally I was very confused as I thought - "I don't recognise the album starting like this at all - what on earth have they done to the track ?!" but soon worked out they performed dlp 2.1 before dlp 1.1.

It was pretty good - I was really impressed with some of the complex rhythms they had to play to emulate the rhythm created by gaps in the degraded part of the tape loop, plus I had a crush on one of the Cello players which kept me further entertained. Something seemed a little off with the rhythm played by the brass section when recreating dlp 1.1 - the version on the album always seemed so slothfully laid back but the recreated version had this more upbeat stabby nature which I felt changed the atmosphere of the track quite considerably. Perhaps it's me just being picky - but I guess in a performance with this much repetition your brain starts to pick up on bits like that. But don't get me wrong I enjoyed it all the same. Not quite sure what the reverential silence (about 5 minutes) at the end of the performance was about though ?! Basinski looked bloody dapper though in his suit when he came on stage at the end !

So did anyone here go to the live performance of Disintegration Loops 1 last night at the South Bank. Originally I was very confused as I thought - "I don't recognise the album starting like this at all - what on earth have they done to the track ?!" but soon worked out they performed dlp 2.1 before dlp 1.1.

It was pretty good - I was really impressed with some of the complex rhythms they had to play to emulate the rhythm created by gaps in the degraded part of the tape loop, plus I had a crush on one of the Cello players which kept me further entertained. Something seemed a little off with the rhythm played by the brass section when recreating dlp 1.1 - the version on the album always seemed so slothfully laid back but the recreated version had this more upbeat stabby nature which I felt changed the atmosphere of the track quite considerably. Perhaps it's me just being picky - but I guess in a performance with this much repetition your brain starts to pick up on bits like that. But don't get me wrong I enjoyed it all the same. Not quite sure what the reverential silence (about 5 minutes) at the end of the performance was about though ?! Basinski looked bloody dapper though in his suit when he came on stage at the end !

Sounds great; I wish I could've seen it. I'm sure he looked splendid as well; I have an unabashed man-crush on him.

Archived