Guest kyriakos

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lucy Faringold

He didn't compare it a nuclear holocaust

He compared it to someone co-opting a nuclear holocaust to sell their art

big difference

So here we go: William Basinski co-opted a nuclear holocaust to sell his art.

are you on drugs

Lol, you're an idiot

Troll, you're a troll.

Guest bitroast

LOL

This fuckin guy...

My favorite part is when he finishes rant, and then says "Now...Mark...I love ya, baby!". And then he almost cries. QQ moar.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???

i liked his rant. and for the most part agreed.

but the moment he plays the bit from disintegration loops at the end, i still get sucked in and think it's good music.

p.s. @ joshuatx why do you think lopatin's loops is "actually a more interesting piece, because he specifically found and exploited a loop from a pop song and made it a sonically and emotionally different work"? isn't that precisely what basinski's loops are, being samples of muzak?

I could totally understand preferring one to the other but i'm missing why lopatin's is fundamentally more interesting?

It's arguably more interesting. So were the other 3 or 4 examples he played out. Basinski's work is just as good, just as interesting, just as relevant as Lopatin or Ekkehard Ehlers, etc. In fact I believe he said he like the Ehlers one more the rest. But Disintegration Loops has been perpetually acclaimed for a decade with the 9/11 connection, and the tape disintegration to a lesser extent, being the core of it's hype and the reason it continues to overshadow the work of ambient and drone peers. That's the crux of the rant and nothing more.

I don't think about the 9/11 aspect at all. I just think it's dull and way overhyped. Why do people get all butthurt and say "If you don't like it, don't listen" if you criticize something hyped as fuck like this.

How about "If you like it, don't talk about it, just listen." Because, really, that makes more sense.

That's exactly what the point of the rant was! He even says something like "let's get beyond the story and just focus on why you like the music - then we can argue."

but wtf is up with people comparing it to a nuclear holocaust on the Jews and then watmmers being like "he has a point"

You misrepresented what he said. I watched the video rather diligently, then read your comment and had no idea what you were talking about because of your imprecise wording.

I'm not trying to beef, I just think that the the distinction is worth clarifying.

Yeah and everything I said was completely taken out of context as well. Also I completely avoided the Israeli-Arab thread and then of course hypothetical nuking of Jews is brought up in this one, lol.

i liked his rant. and for the most part agreed.

but the moment he plays the bit from disintegration loops at the end, i still get sucked in and think it's good music.

Same here. I really like Disintegration Loops. I still find the story emotionally charged, sincere, and interesting. And yes, I know that this is a loop recorded from a tape that's ferros coating was literally disappearing as it played out, with audio actually "falling off" into oblivion and even that aspect even still moves me. I'm pretty sure I even heard this through pitchfork (maybe watmm, I forget)...and that what made the rant relevant to me.

The reason I liked this rant and think it's valid is because it's a reality check. It's always worth evaluating what draws you to music and what influences your taste. When piece of music is so overwhelmingly acclaimed and hyped to the point where absolutely no one can question it's merits it just seems both the state or music making and music criticism have entered dangerous territory. He touches on the fact that pitchfork is an excellent example of a entity thrust into this role as a watershed journalism outlet when it was totally undeserved almost completely because of good timing. I'm still going to read pitchfork and enjoy Basinki's output, but I will, as I try to do with all things, approach both with a healthy sense of questioning instead of blind faith.

That's how I read it. I still think it's a beautiful piece of music.

I completely avoided the Israeli-Arab thread and then of course hypothetical nuking of Jews is brought up in this one, lol.

lol I was thinking the same. Almost made a joke about this a couple pages back but decided it was too tasteless, even for watmm.

Guest bitroast

Disintregration loops reminds me of The Sandman, and Swamp Thing, not 9/11. (listened to alot of ambient music while reading those comics and the association sticks.)

Maybe the disintergration loops can take on a new meaning. Like, they represent the fading away credibility of online music journalism. 10/10 for a re-release is a bit rich. Listen to the album and you start tearing up and face palming like the moustache guy on vimeo lol.

what i dislike about the comment on video was when the dude went mad after the moma concert, as indeed those orchestral versions sounds pretty good judging from this bootleg (london show).

http://philsbootlegs...tion-loops.html

(not as good as the gavin bryars re recorded piece by the alter ego ensemble with philip jeck tho)

i heard that so many times from midget minded punk people : "its been played on a museum with an orchestra so it must tastes like shit". well, the orchestral versions sounds great indeed. & its true that all his late nite moaning is ruined by the music as the end (as its obviously beautiful). personnaly, i dont really connect the DL with 9/11 (well kind of but not really), mostly with disintegration of youth memories, going back to your own life & finding everything is turning to dust, nostalgia. reminds me of what francis bacon (the painter not the philosopher) said as life was a slow destruction process, and that the purpose of life was indeed death (& you'll find this in his paintings, damaged bodies & faces).

thanks for responding Nebraska and lol @ your pun.

it's funny you should feel the very word disintegration brings to mind a solemn quality, although in the context i do see what you mean. i'm perfectly fine with art having a little solemnity from time to time though!

i also see your point about it seeming to "capitalize" on the 9/11 thing. but, here's the thing -- should artists refrain from tragic subjects because it might appear to be capitalizing on them? if an artist has something to say about 9/11, what is the proper or acceptable way to do so? and should an artist give a shit? no one seems to bat an eye when a writer, politician, historian, etc takes up the topic, so why are we so eager to hassle artists for having something to contribute?

merci merci. here is what i think about this album: at one point a bunch of photographers for LIFE, TIME and even National Geographic were flocking to sunda and somalia when they were having a civil war to snap pictures. one of these guys won a prestigious award for taking a picture of a kid dying of starvation while a vulture hovered in the background. i cannot help but feel like this is somehow similar: in one way, basinski has just seen a very convenient way to package his muzik with an important event. i can't help but feel that somehow, he's just "grasping at straws". maybe if there was only a mention of 9-11, but the front cover and dvd packaging is (to me at least) a little overkilling the point.

as far as whether there are acceptable ways to cover certain things/events/circumstances etc and whether artists should do so? i think they should. i'd love to hear an album that covered events leading to and during the holocaust. it's just how you choose to do such things and not have to claim your reel to reel machine actually belonged to otto franke after he returned home to discover ann's diary and sat reading it while it looped some easy listening tunes he had in the background.

those orchestral versions sounds pretty good judging from this bootleg (london show).

Aye - it was great. I was actually surprised by quite how good it was, hats off to the performers for managing the microtiming to synchronise the gaps in the music to emulate the tape decay.

well for nebraska : Steve reich made a fantastic record on the trains that crossed europe & america during world war 2 (yes, those trains), it's on Different Trains & its pretty personal too & quite strong indeed one of his best piece. on the Steve Reich matter, i think he changed a recent cover artwork because of 9/11, so yeah Basinski was quite respectful with the reissue cover art as it is what it is without being too obvious. i dont get the fuss about 9/11, as i dont think ambient artist can compose ONLY about airports & Koln forest.

well for nebraska : Steve reich made a fantastic record on the trains that crossed europe & america during world war 2 (yes, those trains), it's on Different Trains & its pretty personal too & quite strong indeed one of his best piece. on the Steve Reich matter, i think he changed a recent cover artwork because of 9/11, so yeah Basinski was quite respectful with the reissue cover art as it is what it is without being too obvious. i dont get the fuss about 9/11, as i dont think ambient artist can compose ONLY about airports & Koln forest.

did you hear the reich 9/11 piece? i love different trains and this seemed like a poor version of it.

I seriously just thought it was kind of boring. Pleasant enough but rather than reducing me to tears as it seemed was the intended effect, I just skipped through it and was like, "yeah, OK, I get it."

Maybe I'm the problem :cerious: it's not you, Disintegration Loops, it's me.

didn't MHTRTC get that score?

Lol yeah! After they had already given it like a 7.6 a few years before! Fuckin clowns

is it common for pitchfork to revise its reviews like that?

I seriously just thought it was kind of boring. Pleasant enough but rather than reducing me to tears as it seemed was the intended effect, I just skipped through it and was like, "yeah, OK, I get it."

Maybe I'm the problem :cerious: it's not you, Disintegration Loops, it's me.

didn't MHTRTC get that score?

Lol yeah! After they had already given it like a 7.6 a few years before! Fuckin clowns

is it common for pitchfork to revise its reviews like that?

you guys do understand that the same person pretty much never reviews the same record twice there, so of course the rating is gonna change? especially after many years and staff changes? and they revise reviews only when there's reissue.

Archived