IGNORED

PLUTO, BITCHES

Nebraska

yes, they said it's a dwarf planet. ok so it's not official yet but the guys from Harvard think it's legit so it's pretty much in the bag.

PS i actually read several different articles on this, maybe this wasn't the best one to post to highlight my viewpoint.

more stuff here http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20143009-26255-2.html if you don't care don't read buttwads.

"'Planet' is a culturally defined word that has changed its meaning over and over again," one of the debaters, Historian Owen Gingerich from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, argued. "My feeling is that in retrospect, the IAU should not have attempted to define the word 'planet.'"

*blocks Obel again*

When Pluto was discovered, they thought they had found the mysterious planet X they were looking for. After the discovery of Uranus they saw that the predicted path of the planet was disturbed by the gravity of something else. They calculated were this new object would be and found Neptune. After that they again saw irregularities in this planet's orbit and went looking for another planet further out. Then they spotted Pluto and assumed it was responsible for this effect and called it a planet. It was later revealed that there were no irregularities, but just wrong calculations. Pluto just happened to be passing through the ecliptic around that time.

If Pluto was discovered now, with today's technology, it would probably never have been called a planet. All they did was try and categorise these objects after recent discoveries of new 'types' of celestial bodies.

whether it's a planet or not i could care less. it's a part of our solar system and deeply ingrained in our history, mythology and thus collective consciousness. it affects us, and that's all that matters imo

pluto gets wayy too much shit IMO. We have "earth privelege" so we don't have the right tbh with our earth gaze and shit I heard

space pics are some of the coolest things. looking forward to high res pics of pluto and its moons.

here's a shot of io that new horizons took passing by jupiter

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/NewHorizonsIo.svg

i had assumed it would end up orbitting pluto but it's not, it's just gonna venture off into the kuiper belt, looking for other kuiper belt objects to study!

mid july will be the closest approach to the pluto system, but we should be getting photos in february

Edited by very honest

• 5 months later...

new horizons is scheduled to arrive in the plutonian orbit in the next 115 earth days. let's start thinking of names for surface formations, icy bodies and perhaps artifacts left behind by the past inhabitants- the nubians of plutonia themselves

http://www.ourpluto.org/vote/guide

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs/2015/0320-mapping-of-pluto-begins-today.html

Edited by Nebraska

Why is Pluto more awesome? And your saying its gonna be destroyed in 2015?

Seems like Pluto is on its way out, so whats the point of it?

lol

Did compson really need to be banned, when a good round with the Kuiper belt had been sufficient?

what about "planet x" ??

'

Stop believing everything you read on the internet. Especially pages that look like they were made in the 90s.

haha, i just made a bunch of searches on similar subjects for a laugh but came back wearing an aluminium hat.

• 2 months later...

so when im looking up at the night sky full of stars im really seeing different time periods of light arriving to my eyes, right? We really dont know at all what is happening at this present moment in f the universe in any given location( other than our solar system). Correct? And we are all seeing the sun 8 minutes ago. The moonlight roughly 8 minutes ago too.

Edited by marf

Anyway we only ever see the past really. Light has a finite speed. Our instruments have delays. Our sensory organs and neural system have delays. We never truly see the "now".

:mu-ziq:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway we only ever see the past really. Light has a finite speed. Our instruments have delays. Our sensory organs and neural system have delays. We never truly see the "now".

:mu-ziq:

Now?

Yes.

Would you like to try again?

• 2 weeks later...

The visuals in this video are nice, but the overly dramatic music and voice make it that kind of space documentary corny... The visuals should speak for itself, I think.