IGNORED

Niagara & Heysanna Hosanna

Guest Ando

Any speculation on whether these two tracks were recorded (or perhaps partially recorded) in the duo's childhood? Maybe there are other tracks I'm forgetting about, but I've always just assumed - particularly with Heysanna Hosanna - that these are a result of their playing with tape recorders as kids, recording the TV and their own musical shenanigans.

Thank you and goodnight.

Good evening Mr Ando

I haven't a scobby what you are refering to. All I can say is I hope we can start talking soon about new material.

Perhaps it's a ploy of BOC for us revisit the past? Nobody really likes dwelling in the past, people (humanity) always wants to strive forward. That's how we here afterall. Yet Boards of Canada seem to willingly force us backward in time.

We scour their back catalogue endlessly, looking for particles of magic. like the Noatak track which I discovered not so long ago. Granted I am a meat and two veg BoC fan, a lot of their rare tracks bypass my radar. Because I await (with zen-like, patience) their story on it, not somebody elses. BOC seem to push us further and further inwards, panning for gold. I only recently began to appreciate The Campfire Headphase, literally forced into understanding it because of the Sandisons refusal to release new music. It's funny but perhaps my new understanding of TCH is a positive reaction towards their Radio Silence. So maybe the Radio Silence isn't such a negative thing at all?

To address the OP's question:

The Old Tunes cassettes date to around 1995-1996, but the source material for some of the tracks could date back years, even decades. The Sandison brothers are known to have experimented with music and recording in childhood, so who knows how vigilant they were in keeping things from their childhood and dredging up old nostalgic things to be used in more contemporary recordings.

I only recently began to appreciate The Campfire Headphase, literally forced into understanding it because of the Sandisons refusal to release new music. It's funny but perhaps my new understanding of TCH is a positive reaction towards their Radio Silence. So maybe the Radio Silence isn't such a negative thing at all?

This confuses my brain. If you didn't like it all those years ago, how can them not releasing further music make it better to your ears?

It's been a solid album since release in my opinion. This album has Peacock Tail, Sherbet Head, Dayvan Cowboy and Tales From The Compound Eye. To me these are all awesome tracks, and they're not the only ones

I only recently began to appreciate The Campfire Headphase, literally forced into understanding it because of the Sandisons refusal to release new music. It's funny but perhaps my new understanding of TCH is a positive reaction towards their Radio Silence. So maybe the Radio Silence isn't such a negative thing at all?

This confuses my brain. If you didn't like it all those years ago, how can them not releasing further music make it better to your ears?

It's happened with me with lots of artists. Surely there are albums you listen to a few times and put on the shelf? Sometimes years later these albums knock you out your socks. All to do with frames of minds etc. Or the artist side-stepping you. Nothing too technical.

I never really liked CHP but since my pores have had no new BoC to soak up, I began to listen and appreciate this album much more. I still think the album suffers from a very weak start.....

Heysanna Hosanna is just a synth cover of the song of the same name from Jesus Christ Superstar, if I remember correctly? I don't know how that qualifies it as being something they'd have to have made as children.

Heysanna Hosanna is just a synth cover of the song of the same name from Jesus Christ Superstar, if I remember correctly? I don't know how that qualifies it as being something they'd have to have made as children.

Erm, wouldn't a cover of a song they probably heard when they were kids be something you'd expect from young musicians? Not saying it is, just that a cover makes perfect sense to me being something a kid would attempt as they were refining their musical abilities.

Erm, wouldn't a cover of a song they probably heard when they were kids be something you'd expect from young musicians? Not saying it is, just that a cover makes perfect sense to me being something a kid would attempt as they were refining their musical abilities.

I suppose, but I don't think anything about the recording itself points to an age group at all. On the contrary, when I was starting out as a kid, I didn't have any luck at all with covers (because when I was that age I was a big perfectionist and you don't know enough about tones and so on to get anywhere near the original you're trying to emulate) so I focused on writing original stuff since there was no way to do that "imperfectly" if you get my drift.

Either way, it doesn't matter - I just had to pop in here and ask what about this specific recording suggested they were little lads when they did it.

I suppose, but I don't think anything about the recording itself points to an age group at all. On the contrary, when I was starting out as a kid, I didn't have any luck at all with covers (because when I was that age I was a big perfectionist and you don't know enough about tones and so on to get anywhere near the original you're trying to emulate) so I focused on writing original stuff since there was no way to do that "imperfectly" if you get my drift.

Either way, it doesn't matter - I just had to pop in here and ask what about this specific recording suggested they were little lads when they did it.

It's the voices of children before and after the piece is done coupled with the overall ancient quality that did it for me.

You also hear a sequencer before and after which could explain why the cover is so perfect (sequenced perhaps).

Archived