IGNORED

depression

anonymstol

yeah i think it is beneficial, it might shake some conceptions. you probably don't realize how insane the american psych-drugs craze looks to people from countries with a good healthcare...DTC drug commercials and retarded healthcare system is a hell of a mix.

you're bringing up a particular and accurate example, he's pointing at something more general.

Guest disparaissant

been fighting a particularly bad bout of depression for the last week or so. taking up a new hobby has helped a lot:

tumblr_m8tfai51z91rz3s4to1_1280.jpg

Exercise can be amazingly helpful.

Also WATCH THIS WHOLE THING. Drug companies are fuckers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zihdr36WVi4

Basically, drug companies only need 2 trials that show that their drug is better than a placebo, but they can do like 10 more that don't show shit. And that's what they did. The only places where antidepressants are very helpful are in cases of severe depression; they do almost zero for mild depression. Fuck healthcare as a product; it's that kind of shit that causes this.

If you are so depressed go volunteer to help someone else out. Big Brothers and Big Sisters, fire department something...

This is a good idea, too. Helping others gets your mind off yourself. It's a bit of a mean answer, but it's true.

Psych. subforum

For real

Seriously

lol yes

edit:

I'm posting that video in the fav youtubez thread.

Edited by gmanyo

Guest fiznuthian

I'm not going to approach the kind of depression that psychiatrists call a chemical imbalance. You are a human being and are never broken, you are just the way nature made you.

Not entirely true, every person has a unique physiological composition. In my case, a couple of tests reveal that I'm unable to naturally retain sufficient levels of zinc and magnesium for optimum neurotransmitter production (incl. the natural 'happy' chemicals). No biggie, since I'm able customize the intake of nutritional supplements to suit my particular needs. I'm lucky that depression is so easily avoidable by doing something so damn simple

If you're serious about treating depression that you thinks more than just environmental conditions, shitty diet & lifestyle etc. there's perhaps a goods chance it's to do with your biochemical makeup and this is readily treatable. Fuck drugs - unless they are produced lovingly by your brain on it's own accord. You might just need to nudge your body a little in the right direction so it's closer to "nature's best intentions"

Find a good shrink who isn't a drug-pusher, and get some blood/piss tests done to see if there's more to the story. Worked wonders for me

What's your diet? Just curious

Guest fiznuthian
Irving Kirsch and colleagues, using the Freedom of Information Act, gained access to all clinical trials of antidepressants submitted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) by the pharmaceutical companies for medication approval. When the published and unpublished trials were pooled, the placebo duplicated about 80% of the antidepressant response [1]; 57% of these pharmaceutical company–funded trials failed to show a statistically significant difference between antidepressant and inert placebo [2]. A recent Cochrane review suggests that these results are inflated as compared to trials that use an active placebo [3]. This modest efficacy and extremely high rate of placebo response are not seen in the treatment of well-studied imbalances such as insulin deficiency, and casts doubt on the serotonin hypothesis

1. Kirsch I, Moore TJ, Scoboria A, Nicholls SS (2002) The emperor's new drugs: An analysis of antidepressant medication data submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Prev Treat 5: article 23. Available:http://journals.apa....re0050023a.html. Accessed 14 October 2005.

2. Kirsch I, Scoboria A, Moore TJ (2002) Antidepressants and placebos: Secrets, revelations, and unanswered questions. Prev Treat 5: article 33. Available:http://journals.apa....re0050033r.html. Accessed 14 October 2005.

3. Moncrieff J, Wessely S, Hardy R (2005) Active placebos versus antidepressant for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004: CD003012.

Edited by fiznuthian

I feel depressed because i fooled myself with fantasies of being financially stable enough to travel the world and enjoy life, i'm 22 now and feel like i don't have a chance to travel the world nor enjoy life. I live in a shitty town that i'll probably be stuck the rest of my life because i was an idiot and made shit decisions concerning my studies. I don't have skills to find a decent job (my skills limit me to factory jobs) and my social life is next to none, so even if i wanted to go to a bar after my shit job and share a beer with friends i couldn't do that.

I don't think there is medication to threat my kind of depression, i pretty much have to fix it all by myself and sort my shit out but its hard to find motivation when you feel like its all over.

/emo.

been fighting a particularly bad bout of depression for the last week or so. taking up a new hobby has helped a lot:

tumblr_m8tfai51z91rz3s4to1_1280.jpg

This is amazing and you are looking at a fucking FORTUNE on Etsy if you keep this up. Just saying.

In response to BCM, I mainly think you're right, but I think you're falling victim to the same trap that the bad doctors are - generalization. If you think everyone's the same, you shouldn't be responsible for anyone's medical health.

Usagi - here's a really healthy deep breath: breathe first so that your stomach expands, then your middle-chest, then your high-chest. Reverse on the breathe out: let your high-chest collapse first, then your middle-chest, then your stomach. There are numerous health benefits to this breath and it feels great. I do this when I have time to kill. When you're doing other stuff, try to breathe a medium breath - not as deep as this, but enough to feel full. It's pretty self-adaptable, just try different ways of breathing and find the one that's the most relaxing and fitting to you.

I feel depressed because i fooled myself with fantasies of being financially stable enough to travel the world and enjoy life, i'm 22 now and feel like i don't have a chance to travel the world nor enjoy life. I live in a shitty town that i'll probably be stuck the rest of my life because i was an idiot and made shit decisions concerning my studies. I don't have skills to find a decent job (my skills limit me to factory jobs) and my social life is next to none, so even if i wanted to go to a bar after my shit job and share a beer with friends i couldn't do that.

this is what i'm talking about - not that YO303 is after any medication or feels he needs to go to the doctor - but this is honestly the kind of thing that i have heard people say on here as supposed evidence of a mental disorder. what YO303 has written is not depression - it's just completely normal apathy about life, which everbody gets. i'm sure if he went to an unscrupulous doctor and said the above though, he'd likely be given some drugs rather than being told there is absolutely nothing wrong with you, go away and do some excersize and you'll feel right as rain...

Edited by BCM

I agree BCM, i don't claim i have a mental disorder nor will i seek medical help for my "depression".

I think there needs to be a proper definition of what being depressed means. In my post i used the word depression because i could not find a better world that could describe what i'm feeling right now (kind of down,unmotivated ,etc), i definitely don't want/claim to be classify as someone with bipolar disorder(for example).

In my case i know what i have to do to fix my apathy for life (i like that BCM), and it doesn't involve doctor or medicine. (although i'm taking medicine but thats for something else)

Edited by YO303

:beer:

i think "depression" has just become a go-to term these days used by people looking for an excuse to be miserable, who really just need a change of scene/holiday, new job, new wardrobe - whatever. now i'm not saying clinical depression or manic depression are not real - indeed i have first hand knowledge of severe depression via my mother and it can be an awful awful thing to live with - you know what though, she was given anti-depressants - did absolutely fuck all apart from fuck her up more. she herself never wants to go near them again and now does not believe clinical drugs to be effective.

look, if you're in floods of tears every day, can't leave the house, hate yourself to the point of self-harm and are contemplating suicide then yep, you've got a problem and need help. if you just "hate some kid at school", or whatever other inane crap i've heard on here, you need to grow up.

Many people who are clinically depressed won't necessarily say they feel "down", they'll say that they feel nothing, or that they're "numb". I think it often comes with a form of dissociation; I get that, but not severely. Nothing seems real and everything seems pointless. It's like being in a dream for me.

this is what i'm talking about - not that YO303 is after any medication or feels he needs to go to the doctor - but this is honestly the kind of thing that i have heard people say on here as supposed evidence of a mental disorder. what YO303 has written is not depression - it's just completely normal apathy about life, which everbody gets. i'm sure if he went to an unscrupulous doctor and said the above though, he'd likely be given some drugs rather than being told there is absolutely nothing wrong with you, go away and do some excersize and you'll feel right as rain...

great diagnosis. have you ever considered that all of these people may not be able to completely verbalize their symptoms?

WATMM: the one-stop shop for traditionalist armchair quacks.

great diagnosis. have you ever considered that all of these people may not be able to completely verbalize their symptoms?

WATMM: the one-stop shop for traditionalist armchair quacks.

have you ever considered you are hanging onto your diagnosis like a life-raft in a storm because it now defines you? try letting go and swimming for yourself - the water's lovely.