IGNORED

depression

anonymstol

Guest underscore

guess what i SHOWERED TODAY

HELL YESSSS

you're on a roll. if only I could get some of that motivation and wash all the fucking stacks of dishes in my kitchen. i'm gunna go devour some burger king instead

edit: hey franklin, if you read this - i don't know if you smoke cannabis or not, if you do, did you ever when you were on effexor?

Edited by underscore

Sometimes I stop smoking for a month or two to clear my head. Then when I start back up again it feels AMAZING. This seems like a healthy thing to do.

Guest Franklin

guess what i SHOWERED TODAY

HELL YESSSS

you're on a roll. if only I could get some of that motivation and wash all the fucking stacks of dishes in my kitchen. i'm gunna go devour some burger king instead

edit: hey franklin, if you read this - i don't know if you smoke cannabis or not, if you do, did you ever when you were on effexor?

I did underscore, and it was fine for me. I certainly don't recommend that however as there are a lot of considerations to make beforehand.... having the knowledge, self-awareness, and support system that I do it was OK for me. PM me if you like.

Guest disparaissant

the study didn't say that smoking weed as a teen leads to anxiety in your 20s. the study found that people who used marijuana as teenagers tend to have anxiety in their late twenties. while what you said could be the reason for the correlation, another interpretation is that teens who already have anxiety use weed to cope with it.

i stated that might be the case, i dunno. i know a lot of people in the same boat as me (used to smoke tons of weed, had to quit because anxiety crept in and got worse with smoking) so maybe there's something to be said about it. maybe not. who knows? it's not like we'll find out thanks to the government's weird draconian stance on marijuana studies.

By far the most powerful cure for depression I have ever come across for depression is meditation. I cannot even begin to describe how much it has done for me.

By far the most powerful cure for depression I have ever come across for depression is meditation. I cannot even begin to describe how much it has done for me.

Music has been my ultimate cure.

[drunk[ My dad has depression. It's vanity. It's an unwillingness to take your own shortcomings, and the inevitable shortcomings and imperfections of life -- their failure to live up to the perfectionistic image of it in your head -- as the truth. It's an unwillingness to accept that you don't live a perfect life and that people are going to have problems with you, and to see this as okay. It's an 'if I am not 100% loved by everyone else, then I quit' mentality. It's a cop-out. It's selfish. It's pathetic. It's embarrassing. It's a cheap-shot at life. It's being scared to go out of your comfort zone and catch poison ivy on your dick cause you're a pussy. But it's both your fault and not your fault. Because you know it's your problem, but you also can't help it and you're just stuck with it and you're fucked. But you're also a fucking asshole because get over yourself. But it also sucks for you and it's a shame. It sucks for everyone.

Guest underscore

thanks Franklin, I'm going to take you up on your offer soon and bug you with some questions.

sounds like you're describing me encey; I really do need to just quit being a fuck and catch some poison ivy on my dick. I have started to see a couple people that I think can help me out though, after wallowing and bitching about being a cancer to the universe for my entire early twenties.

Edited by underscore

In regards to mental disorders, I think some of the readings in this thread should be pursued and of course talking to doctors is a good idea too. While the internet is great for some things, it is pretty bad for self diagnosis. These disputes over medicated america while have some merit (or not) are irrelevant to our own individual positions and generalize beyond what's necessary. Help people by listening and sharing your own experiences. Think about what makes you happy and don't waste your time regretting for that only compounds issues. Approach each day as a new level headed towards a mysterious land. And if you make mistakes, make notes and conspire ways to evolve beyond them.

Sorry, it's been on my mind for personal reasons and I needed to vent! I acknowledge that depression is a legitimate mental challenge for many people. It's just hard when certain life-long depressed people let you down over and over again.

[drunk[ My dad has depression. It's vanity. It's an unwillingness to take your own shortcomings, and the inevitable shortcomings and imperfections of life -- their failure to live up to the perfectionistic image of it in your head -- as the truth. It's an unwillingness to accept that you don't live a perfect life and that people are going to have problems with you, and to see this as okay. It's an 'if I am not 100% loved by everyone else, then I quit' mentality. It's a cop-out. It's selfish. It's pathetic. It's embarrassing. It's a cheap-shot at life. It's being scared to go out of your comfort zone and catch poison ivy on your dick cause you're a pussy. But it's both your fault and not your fault. Because you know it's your problem, but you also can't help it and you're just stuck with it and you're fucked. But you're also a fucking asshole because get over yourself. But it also sucks for you and it's a shame. It sucks for everyone.

go fuck yourself

Guest disparaissant

Sorry, it's been on my mind for personal reasons and I needed to vent! I acknowledge that depression is a legitimate mental challenge for many people. It's just hard when certain life-long depressed people let you down over and over again.

somehow i dont think you'd be so pissed off if your dad had a hard time keeping plans if he had lupus or no arms or something. you're literally getting mad at someone for a medical condition. to reiterate what chimera said, go fuck yourself.

i've felt crap like this in response to depression in people who are close to me (and i'm very ashamed to have done that) and it has made me realize that, in the end, this sort of attitude just makes it worse for them. you're trying to rationalize their behavior and emotions but it's impossible to rationalize something that comes from an irrational place. remember, depression is a disease. it's on the same level of things like schizophrenia, body dysmorphia,or anxiety. it's not something that you can just use logic to get out of--however, just because it's illogical doesn't mean that the feelings it brings on aren't real. think about a time you were really depressed. like, maybe your girlfriend cheated and broke up with you or you got fired because you fucked up at work. then imagine feeling that way every day with no discernible reason.

your dad didn't make a conscious decision to be depressed and you can't treat him like he did. it's not his fault at all. i'm sure he doesn't want to feel that way.

some depression feels like it's part vanity, but when you're really in the throes of the stuff, it's pretty hard to convince yourself to just get over it, lol. your mind actually changes and it is damn near impossible to gain the wherewithal to act right; in turn, it hurts knowing this and being unable to fix it yourself. negative feedback loops are pretty brutal. your dad might be a jackass (@encey) but plz don't generalize the condition too much. everyone that goes through it does so on their own terms, and if you think most of those people aren't fighting a constant battle in their heads (and losing), you probably haven't experienced quite the same thing yourself. you can see the tension in really depressed people's eyes, you can tell it's making them tired and that they want it to stop, and

doesn't really work to shake it out of them; they've likely already mentally punished themselves over their inability to "get over it"

the ladies above said it better than i

Edited by luke viia

not all diseases are the same, and not all depressions are the same either. i generally agree with exercising caution when encountering such situations, but imo, depression is not necessarily something you get out of a blue, there may be external factors or a particular personality characteristics that make it worse. there is a rather popular japanese treatment called naikan that focuses on the reconstructing of own outlook on relations with people that is often used to treat depression and it's pretty aggressive on putting the blame on the patient. when you call something a "medical condition" you kinda build some wall around it that has a tendency to limit discussion, i think it doesn't help. i don't know which kind of "get over it" encey had in mind, but it could be "get over it you weakling piece of shit" or something like "i know you can get over it by yourself" which might give a boost to self-esteem, where low self-esteem itself can be a reason for depression (that kind of "get over it" always works for me).

there is a rather popular japanese treatment called naikan that focuses on the reconstructing of own outlook on relations with people that is often used to treat depression and it's pretty aggressive on putting the blame on the patient.

that japanese treatment sounds similar to cognitive behavioral therapy, which is pretty much the best long-term treatment for depression. i strongly disagree about blaming the patient, though. that's a great way to get people to stop listening to you.

i wonder if this "aggressive" treatment has anything to do with how high the suicide rate is in japan.

there is a rather popular japanese treatment called naikan that focuses on the reconstructing of own outlook on relations with people that is often used to treat depression and it's pretty aggressive on putting the blame on the patient.

that japanese treatment sounds similar to cognitive behavioral therapy, which is pretty much the best long-term treatment for depression. i strongly disagree about blaming the patient, though. that's a great way to get people to stop listening to you.

i wonder if this "aggressive" treatment has anything to do with how high the suicide rate is in japan.

it's a aggressive in a way that the sensei constantly guides you to recall how badly you behaved towards people, pushes you to look for faults in your outlook and behavior. the way japanese view authority is different though, generally speaking, so the efficacy might be dependent on it (which is very interesting but off topic).

Those are all completely fair points. What 'kind' of depression someone has is at least partly a factor of their past history. I refuse to believe that most depressed people are born with it, even if people can be born with a predisposition toward it. So I am thinking of depressed people who can 'function' (in the way that a 'functional alcoholic' can), but who simply stop trying and get comfortable with the idea that they are 'a depressed person,' as if that excuses them from their obligations to others as a parent, friend, husband, son, or whatever else.