IGNORED

Psychedelics

mentalextension

i'll just leave this interesting article here, maybe it will help

http://reset.me/story/the-benefits-of-microdosing-with-lsd-and-psilocybin-mushrooms/

----

Mckenna died awfully young. From brain cancer. I wonder if the drugs played a part

it was genetic

Edited by Deer

I havn't read the thread but I am just looking for a bit of wisdom on Peyote. I have four cacti that were given to me, they are roughly 15cm in diameter and are nice and podgy. I like them and I want to keep them, I think they are rather lovely especially when they flower. But I know that one day when I am bored I will definitely eat one.

Any advice on preparation/consumption?

if you want to let them grow with the intention of eventually tripping on mescaline i would advise a weird but very effective technique called grafting. Peyote grows at an excruciatingly slow rate and what cacti/psychedelic enthusiasts have found is that by grafting peyote on top of a faster growing cactus (like another mescaline containing one called San Pedro) you can speed up the growth speed of peyote significantly. Basically what you do is cut several notches at the bottom of the peyote you want to graft and cut off a flat slice of the larger cactus (so the top of the it is no longer rounded but flat enough for the peyote to sit on top of it securely). Eventually both cacti will fuse together and essentially grow together. Before you actually eat a button or two its a good idea to completely dry them out, but not in the hot sun or under too hot of a temperature. A food dehydrator works well. They taste horrible too, so to minimize nausea (which could come on just from chewing the bitter buttons) you could grind it up into a powder and gelcap it (10 or so large gelcaps should do)

san pedro seems the way to go though

it's really hard to consume that much cactus even if you try to boil it down to just a liquid, if you have access to actual peyote it's way more concentrated/much easier to prepare & eat

Guest skibby

it's really hard to consume that much cactus even if you try to boil it down to just a liquid, if you have access to actual peyote it's way more concentrated/much easier to prepare & eat

yeah but a trippable button takes 2 years to grow, if you can even get those microscopic seeds to sprout. SP seems more convenient. i havent done mescaline at all yet though.

Edited by skibby

Guest murphythecat8

for mescaline, I use peruvianus, boill it for 12 hours, reduce liquid to tar. mix tar with flour to make small balls that I can swallow

no taste and as potent as tea.

yeah but a trippable button takes 2 years to grow, if you can even get those microscopic seeds to sprout. SP seems more convenient. i havent done mescaline at all yet though.

it seemed like the user was asking based on having (at least from how i read it) already trippable sized buttons. if he doesn't San Pedro is still honestly just a bad idea. I'd try Murphythecat's Peruvianus idea before moving to San Pedro. If you are feeling lazy and want to do it on a whim then San Pedro can probably be found at a local gardening store, so for that reason its convenient, but if you can get Peruvianus it's about 2x as potent as San pedro, 3x in some cases. This is all assuming you don't have to grow it from scratch or a cutting, in my experience Peruvianus is a little harder to grow than San Pedro

Edited by John Ehrlichman

don't allow myself psychedelics any more, were great for a while, but then not so good, and then brain not work good, took a while to get back to normal.

always found it amusing that some people take fundamental insights into life the universe and everything from their drug trips, I always viewed it as an entertaining side effect of making your brain malfunction and little else (aside from maybe a therapeutic effect related to emotional outflow).

just finished reading Oliver Sacks' book Halucinations, which is great, the chapter on his own history of drug use is great, here it is, worth a read:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/27/altered-states-3

don't allow myself psychedelics any more, were great for a while, but then not so good, and then brain not work good, took a while to get back to normal.

always found it amusing that some people take fundamental insights into life the universe and everything from their drug trips, I always viewed it as an entertaining side effect of making your brain malfunction and little else (aside from maybe a therapeutic effect related to emotional outflow).

just finished reading Oliver Sacks' book Halucinations, which is great, the chapter on his own history of drug use is great, here it is, worth a read:

Well, you can't learn any truths about the external world (per se) from drug use. You can't, for instance, drop acid and gain insight into how the universe began.

However, drug use can offer great scientific insight into matters of consciousness, identity, perception, ontology, etc.

For instance: in our everyday life we tend to have the feeling that we are positioned behind our experiences, having them (this is sometimes called the Cartesian Theater), but of course this makes no sense psychologically or philosophically. LSD can collapse this illusion.

Edited by LimpyLoo

Ta for that link, i've been picking my way through Musicophilia (sp?) for aeons, which is a crackin read too. I could never, in a sober state, readily ingest blotter acid again for similar reasons. Not without about 30mg of diazepam at hand anyway, to nibble on along the journey and smooth out the edges a bit lol. It's as if the gods have steered me through enough moments of hocus pocus insania without tempting fate any further. They know it & as long as i know too it we're all cool n the gang.

I've seen & experienced far more mind-bending things & situations through a combination of ptsd & fresh air than any drug has ever thrown at me. Shadow cats on the patio in the corner of my eye, lights/shadows flickering through the cracks in doorways, or walking into rooms where you get the distinct feeling something (rather than someone) has metaphorically just left, auditory whispering......("Everything is progressing,,,,,not far from Level-7,,,,,," and ",,,,time is a processor,,,,,"). Flashbacks that dont *FLASH*, rather audio-visual vague instances that you have to "birth" out over 2-3 weeks (thank god for weed there) and then reprocess. Unfuckinrealness personified. None of that American Sniper high pitched tone/dog barking bollix, something far more otherworldly.

Its ironic that after studying pre-science/prehistoric cultures, shaman, altered states and ideologies for so long, that fate handed me a unique take on all that, as any pre-scientific interpretation of ptsd (without insight into brain function/cognition) would lead any1 in their right (or wronged) mind to think of possession.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can't learn any truths about the external world (per se) from drug use. You can't, for instance, drop acid and gain insight into how the universe began.

However, drug use can offer great scientific insight into matters of consciousness, identity, perception, ontology, etc.

For instance: in our everyday life we tend to have the feeling that we are positioned behind our experiences, having them (this is sometimes called the Cartesian Theater), but of course this makes no sense psychologically or philosophically. LSD can collapse this illusion.

I don't know about collapsing the illusion, all of our perceptual experiences are hallucinations, whether drug induced, sober, or suffering from some malady; drug trips just play around with the knobs giving us different perceptions (turning different computational networks on or off, or turning their signal strength up or down, feeding inputs from one module to some other module, etc). The Cartesian Theater is almost certainly a real thing btw, it's just another unconscious process (or set of interacting processes), one that creates the illusion of consciousness.

The thing I find silly is the notion that they somehow lift the veil and show people the true universe or some other nonsense like that.

The thing I find silly is the notion that they somehow lift the veil and show people the true universe or some other nonsense like that.

you obviously haven't done salvia

(just kidding, but only kinda)

it seemed like the user was asking based on having (at least from how i read it) already trippable sized buttons. if he doesn't San Pedro is still honestly just a bad idea. I'd try Murphythecat's Peruvianus idea before moving to San Pedro. If you are feeling lazy and want to do it on a whim then San Pedro can probably be found at a local gardening store, so for that reason its convenient, but if you can get Peruvianus it's about 2x as potent as San pedro, 3x in some cases. This is all assuming you don't have to grow it from scratch or a cutting, in my experience Peruvianus is a little harder to grow than San Pedro

The literature I've examined on erowid states there isn't a noticeable difference in mescaline content between peruvianus and pachanoi. Having experimented myself with pachanoi my suggestion (which is also the consensus among pachanoi enthusiasts) is to get your own batch and grow them. Then you experiment with the potency over the course of a few ingestions. You can approximate the potency of any strain by taking a weight measurement and comparing that to the min. and max possible concentration of mescaline. (which can be found on erowid) Then you can adjust for levels that become fatal and ensure that you are under that mark. If you are being careful it will probably take you 2-3 attempts before you have a good trip. The important aspect being that you have that batch continuing to grow in order to keep a consistent potency. Now if you want to increase the maximum benefit of this approach you could also order batches of san pedro from several sources and take a sample of each to determine which has the greatest potency before planting. It would be kind of a drag to have a low concentration garden that requires large doses for a good experience.

The truth about San Pedro though is if you're just picking them up somewhere the chances of you having a good trip while experimenting with a new batch is low unless you push the limits of safety.

The jury is also out on the which preparation method is most effective, but I think if you use the boil and or bake method you're likely to get good results. But I personally believe that any capsule based approach can lead to a less potent experience. Any other method, for instance, juicing is not recommended even though it's talked about at length on erowid as a possible avenue. I wouldn't suggest it.

San Pedro is pretty gross though. It's one of the most disgusting things I've ever ingested. The liquid isn't so bad, but if you start eating raw cactus you better have good control over your gag reflex. Also, adding citrus to the mixture seems to take the edge off a bit.

Also, to be noted is that growing san pedro is perfectly legal so it's a great avenue to explore if you want to stay within the law.

source: https://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_article1.shtml

I don't know about collapsing the illusion, all of our perceptual experiences are hallucinations, whether drug induced, sober, or suffering from some malady; drug trips just play around with the knobs giving us different perceptions (turning different computational networks on or off, or turning their signal strength up or down, feeding inputs from one module to some other module, etc). The Cartesian Theater is almost certainly a real thing btw, it's just another unconscious process (or set of interacting processes), one that creates the illusion of consciousness.

I think the profound aspect is that it completely disrupts your notion of reality and self which lends itself to many positive benefits.

The jury is also out on the which preparation method is most effective, but I think if you use the boil and or bake method you're likely to get good results. But I personally believe that any capsule based approach can lead to a less potent experience.

the only factor that might make capsuling a less potent experience is it just takes longer to dissolve, and mescaline in general has a slower onset than other psychedelics like LSD in my experience. The liquid from boiling down or juicing a san pedro is hands down the worst tasting thing i've ever tried to drink in my life, last time i actually tried to do this I gagged and got immediate nausea that didn't go away for the entire trip. The only way i'd do it now is by totally drying out the parts that contain mescaline (removing the core and outer skin first) and turning it into a powder. You can gelcap this but if you can stomach it, putting a few tablespoons or so into a couple balls of soft bread or something like that can work pretty well.

1) Yes i understand that experiences on LSD entail hallucinations.

2) The Cartesian Theater is logically absurd. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus_argument) My point was that LSD seems to cut through this illusion of being distinct from your experiences.

3) Consciousness isn't an illusion. It is literally the one and only thing that can't possibly be an illusion.

The jury is also out on the which preparation method is most effective, but I think if you use the boil and or bake method you're likely to get good results. But I personally believe that any capsule based approach can lead to a less potent experience.

the only factor that might make capsuling a less potent experience is it just takes longer to dissolve, and mescaline in general has a slower onset than other psychedelics like LSD in my experience. The liquid from boiling down or juicing a san pedro is hands down the worst tasting thing i've ever tried to drink in my life, last time i actually tried to do this I gagged and got immediate nausea that didn't go away for the entire trip. The only way i'd do it now is by totally drying out the parts that contain mescaline (removing the core and outer skin first) and turning it into a powder. You can gelcap this but if you can stomach it, putting a few tablespoons or so into a couple balls of soft bread or something like that can work pretty well.

Yeah, I believe the onset for mescaline is around an hour which is probably twice as long as shrooms. I'm just not a fan of capsules. For example, it seems to almost ruin the effects of Kratom in my experience. It might just be that kratom is not as potent a drug as something like mescaline though. Capsules certainly don't interfere with mdma. Nausea related to mescaline and most psychedlics is common though. I've read lots of discussion about the possible role of the skin and core of san pedro as causing nausea, but I didn't experience any and I consumed the entire cactus.

I read an interesting method for deskinning the cactus on erowid which was to freeze and thaw it 3-4 times. This supposedly makes the skin peal off very easily because it breaks the cell walls or something.

1) Yes i understand that experiences on LSD entail hallucinations.

My point was that all conscious perception is in a way hallucinatory. Hallucinations are just operating modes of neural activity, everyday perceptions are hallucinations directed by sensory input, a drug induced hallucination is just some aspect of that neural activity being altered biochemically, but it's fundamentally the same thing, from the point of view of our perception of it.

2) The Cartesian Theater is logically absurd. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus_argument) My point was that LSD seems to cut through this illusion of being distinct from your experiences.

It's absurd in the sense that it doesn't provide a top-down model explaining conscious thought, it's not absurd in the sense that it self evidently exists as a perceptual experience. I don't know if LSD makes you distinct from your experiences (in any way which would be fundamentally different from everyday experience), that was never a feeling I experienced, though maybe I don't know exactly what you mean by that.

3) Consciousness isn't an illusion. It is literally the one and only thing that can't possibly be an illusion.

I meant that it's an illusion in the sense that our notion of a willful cartesian homunculus is an illusion, consciousness itself is merely the activity of multiple non-conscious neural modes of operation, they are the reality, the non illusory processes that create the experience of consciousness.

Edited by caze

These substances temporarily introduce fundamental shifts into the user's experience of being. Whether mild or severe, the nature of these shifts are essentially unique &, for many users, singularly affecting. One's ontological experience is in constant flux: we shift from wakefulness into sleep, from passive disinterest to active focus. We physically move from one spot to another, observing new facets of the objects around us & modifying/enlarging our notions of reality accordingly. Any shift or alteration in one's relation to the universe of which one is a part cannot but enrich one's existential experience.

The fact that you can probably intuit what the other side of a particular tree is like doesn't mean there is nothing to be gained by going round to have a look. You may have a good idea what a cat would feel like just from looking at it, but you augment your awareness by actually stroking it; you add dimensions to your experience.

The question of whether the condition of consciousness is "hallucinatory" in nature or not strikes me as irrelevant. And whether these substances "teach" one anything about some objective external reality (or lack thereof) is beside the point. Being is what we are Doing. These substances offer special ways of diversifying and texturizing one's life enterprise, which is simply to Be. Be colorfully!

These substances temporarily introduce fundamental shifts into the user's experience of being. Whether mild or severe, the nature of these shifts are essentially unique &, for many users, singularly affecting. One's ontological experience is in constant flux: we shift from wakefulness into sleep, from passive disinterest to active focus. We physically move from one spot to another, observing new facets of the objects around us & modifying/enlarging our notions of reality accordingly. Any shift or alteration in one's relation to the universe of which one is a part cannot but enrich one's existential experience.

The fact that you can probably intuit what the other side of a particular tree is like doesn't mean there is nothing to be gained by going round to have a look. You may have a good idea what a cat would feel like just from looking at it, but you augment your awareness by actually stroking it; you add dimensions to your experience.

The question of whether the condition of consciousness is "hallucinatory" in nature or not strikes me as irrelevant. And whether these substances "teach" one anything about some objective external reality (or lack thereof) is beside the point. Being is what we are Doing. These substances offer special ways of diversifying and texturizing one's life enterprise, which is simply to Be. Be colorfully!

Wow, very well written.

The question of whether the condition of consciousness is "hallucinatory" in nature or not strikes me as irrelevant.

It's hardly irrelevant if it's something most people don't realise, and realising it helps provide a deeper understanding of what's going on inside our heads, and failure to realise it with some people may lead them to jump to erroneous (and sometimes dangerous) conclusions about the nature of reality in response to their psychonautical adventures (though I also accept that these things may be out of our hands to some degree, take reactions to temporal lobe epileptic seizures as another example, rational thought doesn't seem to have much impact on the strange beliefs that arise because of these things - it just might not be physically possible with some people).