IGNORED

Kettel & Secede - When Can

Redruth

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest murphythecat8

well, kettel is a genius, end of story..

this makes me feel like shpongle a little bit.

Kettel is the best musician right now imo. when you lsitne to my dogan, through friendly waters, dreim, cenny crush, smilling little cow, myam james part 1 and then this, you realize that this guy is not fucking kidding around. always innovating, amazing sound quality. Holy cow the new album is the bomb in terms of sound reproduction. its just pristine perfect.

I cant wait for a new solo ketttel record, and cant wait to much some shrooms and listen to the record.

beautiful, as always, kettel work.

Its beyond me why he is such relatively unknown. Dreim, his first record, have the intricacy and detail of aphex twin imo. Dreim, after the first one minute, you realize how profound kettel is.

WTF is happening, we have one of the most innavteur musican, kettel, thats been doing incredible work again and again, it saddents me to see how little attention he gets.

btw, no relation to this guy, I wish, im just a huge fan, and this record is a gift really..

The problem is : i wouldn't call his work innovative, and i think that's why he is relatively unknown. As you said, the quality of his productions are always top-notch, and he's really good at writing melodies, chords, progressions, ect... But i never had the WTF moments i got with the holy Warp trinity ; Aphex, Squarepusher, and Autechre.

He reminds me more of Ochre, and with this album, he's really taking the same route : less electronics, more real instruments sounds, and definitely a more "OST-esque" atmosphere.

Guest murphythecat8

after listeing to this, I dont see anything close to ochre, lol, ochre. ochre is okay, but I mean this

you must have been listening to myam james part 1 and 2 to come to this conclusion. Your post clearly shows your lack of experience with kettel. anything he has done before my dogan is completely different that what he did in m y dogan, myama james, and this record.

the earlier stuff is filled with complex idm composition, not showing any hint of his actual style.

I dont want to start any fight, but I have the impression that you have not heard the work of kettel and based your opinion on a limited experience.

from dreim, to smilling little cow, and mostly everything he did before my dogan, he was totally doing something along the line of qphex twin and autechre. I dont like autechre either nor squarepusher, I ahve tried again and agin, and yeah I dont like it enbough to sit and only listen. aphex is my god, and kettel is too. they are the only two I adore, I now listen to jazz and classical music, but nothing can compare to the work of either kettel and aphex twin. to say that kettel is not original is really absurd. yes the new album is NOT original, but his stuff like dreim, or look at this haha is beyond original, its genius.

and then, you have the amazing ambient album voleyd iron:

this is not innovative? tell me anything that sound clsoe to this.

each their own, but its false to say that hes only creating melodic stuff, I have never heard ochre do anything remote to the first 5 years of kettel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyLYgv4-nc

no pun intended. you like autechre, I like everyone who likes aphex twin or autechre, they show open mind, but please, go listen to early kettel stuff

Hey, i like you too if you put so much heart into defending Kettel :)

Yes, i have to admit i'm not an expert of the Kettel discography. I have listened to all of his albums though, and some of the EPs. Maybe my post sounded harsh, but i have to tell you : Kettel is in my top 5 electronic musicians. I'm really a huge fan, and i listened to one of his album at least once every month.

What i was trying to say (badly) is that is main fault is to have come after the likes of Aphex, like every other artists who emerged after 2000 : it's very difficult to stand out nowadays, but only in terms of being ground-breaking. Besides that, i think like you that he is one of the most talented musician out there.

About Volleyed Iron, i love this album, but there are many good ambient albums out there. While Volleyed Iron is definitely above the rest, i would suggest the following albums (from ambient to downtempo) :

http://www.discogs.com/Ari-Taskinen-Aavamaa/release/1793320

http://www.discogs.com/Ben-Frost-By-The-Throat/master/199358

http://www.discogs.com/Ametsub-All-Is-Silence/release/3676245

http://www.discogs.com/Pjusk-Tele/release/3458073

http://www.discogs.com/Lexaunculpt-The-Blurring-Of-Trees/release/131088

and if you haven't heard it yet, the classic Atol Scrap by Arovane :

http://www.discogs.com/Arovane-Atol-Scrap/master/16403

Guest murphythecat8

hey, I will be listening to the album you recommended.

I like autechre, or squarepusher, but not enough to really listen to it on a regular basic

Im curious, what is the other person in your top 5?

btw, I dont talk about secede because, while okay as a solo artist, I like maybe 5 of his songs, I really think that the magic in the record comes from kettel.

btw, with all the eps, kettel have over 100 songs, most of them are stellar. I much prefer the earlier work of kettel.

Ive listne to the new record three times today, I like it, much better then myam part 2, which was bad, catastrophic for a couple of songs. in the new album, only one track is bad

the two or 3 ambient songs are impressive.

Hey Murphycat, as a big Kettle fan you're probably already well on top of it but I'd recommend checking out Scone. It's a collaboration between Kettle and Funckarma (who are my personal undersung heroes!).

There's an album, and an EP. Both are great! http://www.funckarma.com/music/

Really enjoying this album.

Guest murphythecat8

yeah, its a interesting project, but not my cup of tea, I should maybe give it another chance, really Ive heard when it was realese, and then I didnt bother to try again, thanks!

To rstark: Through friendly waters is easily as good as my dogan. whisper me wishes is also a bit like my dogan. Those three are the most impressive of his work, but while does are incredible, have a look at Dreim or smilling little cow, it will be quite a shcok how kettel changed in his career, and Days for bennet is the first song that kettel release on his first album and its the most impressive first song of any electronica artist I know.

Guest murphythecat8

well secede and kettel actually really sounds alike when you lsiten to myam james part 2. I adore the sound quality of secede and it shows that secede is in here, but I know that what I like in this record definitely comes from kettel.

and yeah, me and my friend who share the same taste in music cant stop saying how good the record is. its really better then what I had expected considering the not so good myam james part 2.

ohhh yeahh!!!

I love Kettel's solo work, not so keen on Secede. Having given this a quick listen, it does sound like Secede has had more of an influence. A few nice melodies in there though. Some tracks sound a little Plaid like.

Totally agree regarding RPG town music. Being a massive geek this doesn't put me off, but I'ma gonna need to give this 3 or 4 listens to form an opinion that i'm confident about ;)

I'm definitely not a fan of the Gregorian chanting in Admittance though, or the track overall :/

Nice production from teh Flashbulb though

Guest facades

After one listen, I'm not too sure... a bit too smooth (it it makes sense) for what I was expecting.

But I think as well it'll grow after a few listens.

Thanks to murphythecat8 for being such a Kettel defender. He's also one of my favourite artist (I'm terribly jealous of his melodic skills), and Through friendly waters is just an incredible record. I just got into Dreim a few days ago, wandering on bandcamp, and I agree, this is quite an interesting album, maybe not as melodically mature as his later work, but with a deep, complex emotional side (if it also makes sense).

Archived