IGNORED

B.O.C. Live + Broadcasts + Interviews

Guest KarakasaMusic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dave1980

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c8753d/

2003-12-17 - UK-England-London - Maida Vale - BBC Studios - BOC + Christ sessions - FLAC - 298MB

Boards of Canada - 'XYZ' unreleased peel sessions track, recorded from the original radio broadcast.

Christ - live Maida Vale (presented by John Peel).

Christ was once a Boards of Canada band member but left the band before they became famous.

However, BOC and Christ's music have a lot in common: voice samples, haunting ambient,

dreamscape like melodies.

(In case you become interested in Christ's official releases: 'Pylonesque' EP and

'Metamorphic reproduction Miracle' album are both released on the Scottish Benbecula label.

Both highly recommended).

Guest Moebius

The XYZ currently linked on the first post as #1 is the live XYZ that was broadcast on 1998-06-16; you can tell because Peel starts to announce the next track after it, which matches the 1998-06-16 playlist (sorry, wrong link in the previous post). And, of course, it makes sense that they would broadcast the chat when they were live but not on the 1998-07-21 session when they played the already-recorded track.

Guest AlexPallas

Okay Moe, you're making my headspin, can i ask a few questions to get this straightened out?

was this version of XYZ broadcast in 1998-06-16 or 1998-07-21? i think you are saying that it this version was originally on the 1998-06-16 show, then later rebroadcasted in 1998-07-21 and the version that dave posted is the 1998-07-21 broadcast?

one more thing i need help with is track name identification for the 1998-06-16 broadcast. i got a list of names from the bbc website, there are four songs: Aquarius, Happy Cycling, Olson, XYZ.

i dont listen to BOC so i dont know what the names of the two tracks are for the mp3 broadcast, can you listen to them and tell me the titles for the songs i have listed as "unknown"?

thanx.

Here is the download link for the "Christ" session as well as "XYZ". when i find out the proper broadcast date for XYZ, it will be added, but the "Christ" show will not. So grab it while you can. It seems that "Christ" was a former BOC member during their early days. kudos to dave1980

also if anyone has the complete BOC peel session in mp3 or FLAC please send it to me for crying out loud! there are only FOUR songs and i have them in bits and pieces!

Guest Moebius

Alright, here's the deal.

Boards of Canada was featured on shows:

1998-06-16

1998-07-21

1998-12-10

The first show, 1998-06-16, focused on the artist Grandaddy but included BoC's live performance of XYZ, including some pre-song chat between Peel and the brothers. No other BoC tracks were played in this session.

The second show, 1998-07-21, focused primarily on Boards of Canada. Four BoC tracks were played including the previously recorded XYZ. This matches the date given in the Peel Session release, as it should, as only on this date were the 3 released tracks played. This show also featured a live performance by another band, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.

The third show, 1998-12-10, was a repeat of the BoC session, with the same 4 BoC tracks played (albeit in a slightly different order: Olson, XYZ, Aquarius, Happy Cycling)

It appears the version of XYZ with the chat is from 06-16 (based on the following track); assumedly the no-chat version (with just Peel's short intro) is from the 07-21 and 12-10 broadcasts.

I don't have first hand knowledge of all this; rather, this is what I've been able to piece together from sources around the net. My notes for the topic are up on Google Notebook so you can check my sources.

I'd also love to get ahold of some full show recordings of these; perhaps searching for the other artist in these sessions, Grandaddy and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, might yield some results.

yeah, the density of BOC fans in the U.S. is too low. If they had one big concert in some place in the middle of the U.S., most BOC fans from around the nation would come.

We should have it in Iowa, out in a cornfield, lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest AlexPallas
all right, i sent the links to alexpallas ... and good lord, that took forever. they're like 1gb

whatever happened to this?

i've got flacs up for two boc shows.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Glass Plate

they should perform under the moonbow in kentucky (only place outside of africa that has a moonbow bitch)

• 1 month later...
how often do these folks perform? I think a video of them live, would be outstanding. I'd love to see it in action.

The few live recordings I have heard like ATP etc. sound pretty boring and not much different than the records. Might even just be playing a DAT. I think BOC is probably one of those groups that is far better on record than live. Let's face it, very few electronic artists can do live shows that outshine their records due to the nature of the recording process. They have to have lots of flashy visuals or stage antics to liven it up or else it's like watching someone check their email. I have never had any desire to perform my material live and only do DJ sets when asked.

• 2 weeks later...
how often do these folks perform? I think a video of them live, would be outstanding. I'd love to see it in action.

The few live recordings I have heard like ATP etc. sound pretty boring and not much different than the records. Might even just be playing a DAT. I think BOC is probably one of those groups that is far better on record than live. Let's face it, very few electronic artists can do live shows that outshine their records due to the nature of the recording process. They have to have lots of flashy visuals or stage antics to liven it up or else it's like watching someone check their email. I have never had any desire to perform my material live and only do DJ sets when asked.

When i first got into electronic music, i saw a video of Aphex Man at a live show. Looked like he was half asleep, and he was just pushing buttons on a laptop. I lmao'd and thought it was the dumbest live show possible. Still do.

It'd be nice if they had they're drums and shit recorded and played on a laptop and then they'd play a guitar or keytar or keysynth or synthtar live.

Archived