IGNORED

Chiastic Slide

splesh

In response to Confield thread: no this.

Seriously, listening to this again today and it has worlds within worlds. Confield and Draft are both worthy runners up, but there can be only one Chiastic Slide. Deepest release of theirs, imo (arguably most organic and "life affirming" too)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Guest wredny

Just to let you know. I don't understand why this album is so underrated. Chord progressions in Pule are as stunning as in Oversteps and these are almost 15 yrs old... just how innovative these must have been...

Nuane you all!

• 4 weeks later...

Got Chiastic Slide more or less when it came out (no immediate US pressing I think delayed me). It took me ten years before I went through a full obsesion phase with Chiastic Slide. Not sure what my issue was. At some point Cipater and especially Recury popped for me and I listened to them about every day and eventually got obssed with the whole album. Not sure if I'd rate it historically above Tri Repetae but it does seem to be the first Ae album (as of 2013) where none of the tracks feel even slightly dated.

funnily enough I have never really warmed to nuane

i fear for your soul.

repent, my child. AE are forgiving to the wayward lost children among us. listen to Nuane on repeat 20 times, or until you have seen the way.

• 1 month later...

Really? I strongly associate Envane & Chiastic Slide together, not just because they came out around the same time; there seems to be a thematic link between them in my mind, almost like they belong as a double album.

I started with Chiastic slide, then worked my way backwards, and then forwards. Chiastic slide was my favourite music to run to: Just as I thought I might collapse from exhaustion, Tewe would come on, coinciding with a relieving downhill sprint.

Obsessive listening after that: Draft and Anti EP.

• 2 months later...

tewe is wonderful, sounds like a feverish shamanic sceance goin on in the dark of night in a desert. And those crunchy cast iron sounds of Cipater as it rides the crest of the wave and carries the tri repetae blueprint onwards and upwards to funkier heights.

• 1 year later...

I remember seeing a sign in an HMV somewhere years ago that described ae's subgenre as "mutilated beats". Always thought that description fitted this album the best. Love the crunchy beats, which they've not really done since.

Absolute freakking best album by AE!

Agreed.

I remember seeing a sign in an HMV somewhere years ago that described ae's subgenre as "mutilated beats". Always thought that description fitted this album the best. Love the crunchy beats, which they've not really done since.

I remember reading (on watmm probably) that Autechre switched mastering engineers after Chiastic Slide bc the old one made everything sound too gritty. I thought it was in AAA but I can't find it.

I listened to this yesterday and commented to bitroast "how high do you think they were when they made Recury?". That whole repetitive bit in the middle just sounds like they left the machines running and zoned out to it

Archived