IGNORED

Chiastic Slide

splesh

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to this yesterday and commented to bitroast "how high do you think they were when they made Recury?". That whole repetitive bit in the middle just sounds like they left the machines running and zoned out to it

just listening to it. one can really picture how they move faders in slow motion there... they relish it.

Yeah, it's a great track. I didn't get it at first, just thought it was repetitive for no reason, but then realised that they are also very good at subtle changes :emotawesomepm9:

Guest bitroast

Yeah, it's a great track. I didn't get it at first, just thought it was repetitive for no reason, but then realised that they are also very good at subtle changes :emotawesomepm9:

chiastic slide was actually one of the first ae albums I got into (after a few failed attempts at listening to untilted.. few other things).

I really liked Recury from the get go but I couldn't shake the idea in my head that the song had monkeys in it going "ooh ooh ooh ahahah".

I think the reason I was creating so many visual associations with the music was maybe cos autechre's music is so spatial and evocative, and it being my first ae album to get into (or one of..) I couldn't help but create visual associations.

or is chiastic slide just a whole lot more visually evocative than the other albums.

it sounds rustic. like metal. like a city?? like monkeys in a jungle. like a boy and his blob, etc.

Yeah, I definitely hear a creaky swinging gate in Calbruc.

.. and I remember one time I was playing it when I was a teenager, Recury was on and my brother walked in and said "mum and dad said your music sounds like frogs"

Chiastic was my intro to ae and i still love it! Awesome album. The sounds, the beats, the hidden melodies... The whole vibe of the album still works wonders for me after all these years. Love it!

Can someone tell me if Sean & Rob had something interesting to tell us about Chiastic Slide on the AAA-thred?

Remember Sean said that he sat with his DX synth making Chichli

Can someone tell me if Sean & Rob had something interesting to tell us about Chiastic Slide on the AAA-thred?

I think I remember someone asking what their fav Ae record was and one of them said Chiastic Slide at the moment

Guest Roksen Creek

I think I remember someone asking what their fav Ae record was and one of them said Chiastic Slide at the moment

I think it was Sean. I believe he also said that his cat Winterbottom was on Tewe.

I think when you take into account their discography as a whole, Chiastic is probably the most definitive introduction to their work. It's the album I would be recommending first to ae noobs who might be into this type of music. I prefer Untilted, Confield and maybe even Amber, but it's certainly one of their best and would be inside my top 30 desert island discs.

You can do a ctrl-f for "chiastic" here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alpd5T07zNgAdFZHaEFjOWZTVWN0T0hIUXdMS0dPNVE&usp=sharing#gid=0

I can't copy paste from there but you can see for yourself.

Yea Pule + Nuane are some great tracks.

By the way do you guys listen to the noisy bit at the end of Nuane every time? Mostly I just skip it and put on something else.

This is still one of my least favourite Autechre albums.

HOWEVER: The coda of Cichli, the transition from Calbruc to Recury, Cipater's gradual mutation into its second phase and Nuane's progression from the intro up until the climax.

These are a few some of my favourite Ae 'bits'.

Yea Pule + Nuane are some great tracks.

By the way do you guys listen to the noisy bit at the end of Nuane every time? Mostly I just skip it and put on something else.

Almost every time, yeah. If you've already done the hour+ of the entire album, why skip the last 4 minutes? I mean, assuming you're not just throwing Nuane on by itself, which seems weird to me but I'm sure some people do it.

Also, Recury is getting plenty of love and rightly so, it's a great track. But, I think maybe I just don't love it to the extent that some of you do. It's great, but it's not that amazing to me. Pule, however...it surprises me every time.

Guest Roksen Creek

Surprised people aren't giving Hub more love. It's got some very cool textures and melodies going on!

Hub is up there with Recury as well. Love it. Cipater too. Those three tracks are from another world.

Opens with a bang, closes with an even bigger bang, but goes into a sonic cryosleep maintenance cycle in between. It's a perfect album to listen to on a long transit, or just a particularly zoned out lazy day.

Calbruc still seems like an enigma to me though. It fits perfectly where it lands on the album, but as a stand alone track I feel it's pretty weak. That being said Chiastic Slide wouldn't be the same without it.

Opens with a bang, closes with an even bigger bang, but goes into a sonic cryosleep maintenance cycle in between. It's a perfect album to listen to on a long transit, or just a particularly zoned out lazy day.

This used to be my favorite AE but I mostly agree with this now.

But the textures on this thing are consistently insaaaane. "Did a lot of mushrooms that year" indeed. Still blows my mind, I keep thinking it's just some fine-tuned combination of field recordings, tape, and ASR-10 magic but I haven't yet been able to make (let alone hear) anything close.

I listened to this yesterday and commented to bitroast "how high do you think they were when they made Recury?". That whole repetitive bit in the middle just sounds like they left the machines running and zoned out to it

so true. pretty psychadelic track.

it doesnt change much, yet there is so much detail in that beat, that you can get lost in it for almost 10 minutes and still feel like there are new sounds to hear.

Cipater's gradual mutation into its second phase

The first time I heard Chiastic it was on a scratched-to-fuck CDR copy that a schoolmate lent me. The disc played fine mostly, but would skip to shit for about a minute in the middle of Cipater, right where the transition is. So for years the Cipater transition was a mystery to me and I desperately wanted to know how it happened. Then eventually I bought a proper copy, and it basically sounded the same as the skipping CD lawl

Still unbeaten as my favourite autechre album - I think it not only changed how I listen to music, but also changed how i think, just a little bit.

Not sure my girlfriend was too impressed when i played the whole album extra-loud yesterday morning though - another ten or so playthroughs will win her round I reckon.

Archived