IGNORED

!!!! Read before starting a new thread !!!!

Squee

Rule of thumb, comment on at least 10 tracks before posting your own. Have you done this? No? Well, get going, buddy. There are +300 pages of music in the YLC.

- Is your feedback/comments worth reading? Are you giving sound advice (no pun intended)? Are most of your comments one or two word posts along the lines of "safe!" or "digging it"? If yes, then please do yourself and everyone else a huge favour and elaborate on this.

What if I'm a music-making noob looking for feedback but who isn't qualified to offer much more than "safe" etc. on other people's tracks?

Surely you have (or can form) some sort of opinion?

Sure, just not one that's likely to be constructive - I know when I like or dislike a track, but wouldn't be able to offer much in the way of analysis as to why, let alone suggestions for how to improve it. Hence I can't do much better than

"thick, solid, tight"

and suchlike.

Sure, just not one that's likely to be constructive - I know when I like or dislike a track, but wouldn't be able to offer much in the way of analysis as to why, let alone suggestions for how to improve it. Hence I can't do much better than

"thick, solid, tight"

and suchlike.

Well, do you like the track? Yes? No? What do you like? What don't you like? Did it sound good on your monitors? Did the track take you on a journey? Are you wondering how something was made? Do you simply hate the snare beyond belief?

It's pretty easy really.

• 1 year later...

The YLC is starting to look like a fucking wasteland, guys.

There are so many threads being created all the time and so many of these threads never get any replies. It's wonderful that so many people want to share their creations but it would be even more wonderful if you guys would consider the following before posting:

- Are you not getting any replies? Well, before posting a new thread you should maybe comment on some other people's music. Rule of thumb, comment on at least 10 tracks before posting your own. Have you done this? No? Well, get going, buddy. There are +300 pages of music in the YLC.

- Is your feedback/comments worth reading? Are you giving sound advice (no pun intended)? Are most of your comments one or two word posts along the lines of "safe!" or "digging it"? If yes, then please do yourself and everyone else a huge favour and elaborate on this. It shouldn't be so hard to explain why you like something or why you don't or why you would have done something differently. And be nice about it.

- Don't be a little bitch

- If you can't stand getting criticism then don't post your stuff. Quite simple.

- Is your track worth posting? Are you happy with your track? Fantastic! Let us hear it!

You give some, you get some.

Felt this was worth reminding everyone of. 

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

As someone who's trying to make music again after 10 years, it's crazy to see how vast the ocean of self released music is. There's so much noise compared to signal, in that so much is easily shared but with less of a focus on a fine tuned production value and presentation. So much just gets posted and lost in a huge void.

I've been thinking lately on what an improved experience for music discovery and promotion might look like, from a software solution perspective.

What if there were a social music network focused on discovery and promotion, which functioned sort of like Tinder. Everyone in the network contributes to the organic growth of the music of others by quick ratings/reviews. It would be sort of like a random personalized playlist as a standalone application, where you provide a like/dislike as you cycle through various lesser known artists. 

An artist gradually reaches a level of growth and visibility organically through this sophisticated process of using community ratings and algorithms to distribute music to users in the network per genre preferences, song history, etc. You could sign up as a contributing artist, or just someone interested in newer artists, or even someone willing to patronize or represent an artist.

The general idea is that quality music naturally rises to the top, but everyone gets somewhat of fair shake since the system for assigning tracks to users' playlists doesn't look solely or rigidly at artist popularity. The system would select artists currently rising in popularity, as well as artists with no track record whatsoever, all in between, but a good distribution of each.

This approach might help make artist discovery and self promotion a fun and gamified experience, and help de-bottlekneck the current collective burden of wading through endless amounts of tracks with little to show for it.

Obviously there would need to be rules in place for preventing abuse of the system, but I think something like this could fill a void and encourage artists to really hone their craft and presentation.

Edited by sonicsandcastles
  • Like 2