IGNORED

!!!! Read before starting a new thread !!!!

Squee

• 2 weeks later...

WTF

Why can't I leave a quick reply saying "safe!"? The time-space safeness continuum will be disrupted. Safeness will vanish from the earth. That's just not safe bre. Gutted.

Big props to Squee for taking on the task of bringing some sense of order and community to YLC - I'll see if there are any options or addons that could make things even more productive and conducive to contributing feedback.

I think nonverbose positive feedback is valuable, and that it should be unnecessary to have to write a few paragraphs just to offer some encouragement. A simple "keep up the good work!" or "you're getting there!" is a lot better than nothing when you've posted your track online.

Criticism, however, should be more explanatory. "I don't like it" or "this sucks" is worthless....

I think nonverbose positive feedback is valuable, and that it should be unnecessary to have to write a few paragraphs just to offer some encouragement. A simple "keep up the good work!" or "you're getting there!" is a lot better than nothing when you've posted your track online.

But that's what we have Soundcloud for.

What I like about the YLC is that you can get and give feedback that isn't open to the public the same way as it is on Soundcloud. The feedback we can give each other can actually be constructive and useful. Plus, I'm sure no matter what track you listen to in the YLC there will always be something that you would have done differently. The artist may not agree with you, but giving feedback is fantastic, because it's not only useful to the artist but it's also really useful to the person who gives it, because it's such a great way to train your ears. It will teach you alot about build-ups, repetition, effects, and so on, and you will be able to use these ideas in your own music as well.

Being told that your music sounds great is of course absolutely wonderful, but your mom will tell you the exact same thing... so....

• 2 weeks later...

But that's what we have Soundcloud for.

What I like about the YLC is that you can get and give feedback that isn't open to the public the same way as it is on Soundcloud. The feedback we can give each other can actually be constructive and useful. Plus, I'm sure no matter what track you listen to in the YLC there will always be something that you would have done differently. The artist may not agree with you, but giving feedback is fantastic, because it's not only useful to the artist but it's also really useful to the person who gives it, because it's such a great way to train your ears. It will teach you alot about build-ups, repetition, effects, and so on, and you will be able to use these ideas in your own music as well.

Being told that your music sounds great is of course absolutely wonderful, but your mom will tell you the exact same thing... so....

My mum doesn't like my electronic music.

• 1 month later...

Everyone wants to be a producer, no one wants to be a fan. The thing about YLC is that it's an environment where actually imprinting onto a piece of music and loving it is difficult, because people, myself included, have trouble tuning in and really listening. It's more a factor of the internet. Even when I download an album I really love, I still end up listening to something else. It's this restlessness that comes with being able to find anything.

When true epiphanies happen are when you cut yourself off from everyone and go half mad.

The main point here is that when I really humble myself and become open, I am often surprised by how much I enjoy something obscure that someone with 3 posts posted.

• 2 weeks later...

squee, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it a bit contradictory of you to suspend durv for 14 days, and make a point to mention in his thread that you aren't going to allow his stuff on the front page...

but then you link to his thread in this stickied thread? even if it is calling him a bitch, it's still promotion.

i listened to his music because of it, actually.

wanted to hear what bitch music sounded like.

it sounds like venetian snares which i never cared for, including the samples of people saying dark twisted things that are supposed to make me think this guy is pure eeeeevil, or whatever. so i wish i could get those 20 seconds back, and i blame you squee.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lucy Faringold
wanted to hear what bitch music sounded like.

ahahah. Yeah, it piqued my interest too but it was far more boring than i was hoping for.

• 4 weeks later...

So, we were on a great streak there for a couple of months, people, but shit has started going downhill again. I'm gonna start closing threads if the author doesn't take part in the community.

I have this fantasy that somehow YLC can become a Soundcloud feed, so I can just put it on in another tab, skip around until I find something I want to review, and come back to post about it. It would require some adjustment, and someone would have to moderate it. The Bandcamp people would have to sign up for SC. It also means that we're stuck in 128 bit land, which is a sadness. But hey, that's my fantasy.

There's a paid addon now that requires a user to have at least a certain number of posts before being able to post - I'm not sure if that will solve the contribution issue, but it might be worth trying.

Guest Frankie5fingers

id say try it out. it definitely would stop people who join just to promote their stuff and not take part of the community. if we wanna start cleaning this up we gotta start somewhere.