Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

- - - - -

!!!! Read before starting a new thread !!!!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#26 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Well, the posts came from his IP address.

#27 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Maybe it was his little brother?

#28 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

What a shame..

#29 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yeah especially since I gave some real thought to his track before I commented. :(

#30 Guest_chunky_*

Guest_chunky_*
  • Guests
  • 377 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

WTF

Why can't I leave a quick reply saying "safe!"? The time-space safeness continuum will be disrupted. Safeness will vanish from the earth. That's just not safe bre. Gutted.

#31 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:09 AM

banned

#32 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

wat

#33 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 1,765 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:13 AM

*titty twister*

#34 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,264 posts
  • 25 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Big props to Squee for taking on the task of bringing some sense of order and community to YLC - I'll see if there are any options or addons that could make things even more productive and conducive to contributing feedback.

#35 psn

psn

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 28-July 09

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think nonverbose positive feedback is valuable, and that it should be unnecessary to have to write a few paragraphs just to offer some encouragement. A simple "keep up the good work!" or "you're getting there!" is a lot better than nothing when you've posted your track online.

Criticism, however, should be more explanatory. "I don't like it" or "this sucks" is worthless....

#36 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

I think nonverbose positive feedback is valuable, and that it should be unnecessary to have to write a few paragraphs just to offer some encouragement. A simple "keep up the good work!" or "you're getting there!" is a lot better than nothing when you've posted your track online.

But that's what we have Soundcloud for.
What I like about the YLC is that you can get and give feedback that isn't open to the public the same way as it is on Soundcloud. The feedback we can give each other can actually be constructive and useful. Plus, I'm sure no matter what track you listen to in the YLC there will always be something that you would have done differently. The artist may not agree with you, but giving feedback is fantastic, because it's not only useful to the artist but it's also really useful to the person who gives it, because it's such a great way to train your ears. It will teach you alot about build-ups, repetition, effects, and so on, and you will be able to use these ideas in your own music as well.

Being told that your music sounds great is of course absolutely wonderful, but your mom will tell you the exact same thing... so....

#37 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • 331 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Being told that your music sounds great is of course absolutely wonderful, but your mom will tell you the exact same thing... so....

#38 delet...

delet...

yü nö më blar

• Moderators
  • 20,297 posts
  • 331 topics
  • Joined 01-August 99
  • Interests:dotdotdot

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

But that's what we have Soundcloud for.
What I like about the YLC is that you can get and give feedback that isn't open to the public the same way as it is on Soundcloud. The feedback we can give each other can actually be constructive and useful. Plus, I'm sure no matter what track you listen to in the YLC there will always be something that you would have done differently. The artist may not agree with you, but giving feedback is fantastic, because it's not only useful to the artist but it's also really useful to the person who gives it, because it's such a great way to train your ears. It will teach you alot about build-ups, repetition, effects, and so on, and you will be able to use these ideas in your own music as well.

My mum doesn't like my electronic music.

#39 delet...

delet...

yü nö më blar

• Moderators
  • 20,297 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 01-August 99
  • Interests:dotdotdot

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

Also, if something elicits a primal response like "shit" or "safe". Perhaps you can begin your or dismissive or mildly encouraging diatribe with the one worder.

#40 sheathe

sheathe

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
  • 20 topics
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Everyone wants to be a producer, no one wants to be a fan. The thing about YLC is that it's an environment where actually imprinting onto a piece of music and loving it is difficult, because people, myself included, have trouble tuning in and really listening. It's more a factor of the internet. Even when I download an album I really love, I still end up listening to something else. It's this restlessness that comes with being able to find anything.

When true epiphanies happen are when you cut yourself off from everyone and go half mad.

The main point here is that when I really humble myself and become open, I am often surprised by how much I enjoy something obscure that someone with 3 posts posted.

#41 MisterE

MisterE

//

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

squee, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it a bit contradictory of you to suspend durv for 14 days, and make a point to mention in his thread that you aren't going to allow his stuff on the front page...
but then you link to his thread in this stickied thread? even if it is calling him a bitch, it's still promotion.
i listened to his music because of it, actually.

wanted to hear what bitch music sounded like.

it sounds like venetian snares which i never cared for, including the samples of people saying dark twisted things that are supposed to make me think this guy is pure eeeeevil, or whatever. so i wish i could get those 20 seconds back, and i blame you squee.

#42 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 20 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Did I actually ban the guy?

If so, LOL!

#43 MisterE

MisterE

//

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

uhh, i don't know maybe you didn't, but you said you were going to. my point is just that you call him out on being a bitch but at the same time you're kind of promoting his tracks!
;)

#44 Guest_Lucy Faringold_*

Guest_Lucy Faringold_*
  • Guests
  • 125 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

wanted to hear what bitch music sounded like.

ahahah. Yeah, it piqued my interest too but it was far more boring than i was hoping for.

#45 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 377 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

So, we were on a great streak there for a couple of months, people, but shit has started going downhill again. I'm gonna start closing threads if the author doesn't take part in the community.

#46 Friendly Foil

Friendly Foil

2K, On My Way

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • 65 topics
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I've been on a YLC music listening break. sorry about that : <

#47 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,664 posts
  • 1,765 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Don't worry, it has nothing to do with you.

#48 Guest_A/D_*

Guest_A/D_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I have this fantasy that somehow YLC can become a Soundcloud feed, so I can just put it on in another tab, skip around until I find something I want to review, and come back to post about it.  It would require some adjustment, and someone would have to moderate it.  The Bandcamp people would have to sign up for SC.  It also means that we're stuck in 128 bit land, which is a sadness.  But hey, that's my fantasy.

#49 Sadie

Sadie

GUNS/STACKS/MONSTERENERGY

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Can we archive and start over? Maybe include some member titles for good YLC commenters?

#50 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • 21,264 posts
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

There's a paid addon now that requires a user to have at least a certain number of posts before being able to post - I'm not sure if that will solve the contribution issue, but it might be worth trying.