IGNORED

Mouse On Mars - WOW

Redruth

sCyco.jpg

"The 33-minute release comes nine months after their latest full-length, Parastrophics. While that album was five years in the making, WOW was completed in just a few weeks. According to a press release, it presents a "club-oriented counterpoint to Parastrophics," with excursions into acid and bass music among other styles. Many of the tracks feature vocals from Dao Anh Khanh, a Vietnamese performer and sculpture that band members Jan St. Werner and Andi Toma met while touring Asia in 2010. Other guest appearances come from producer Eric D. Clarke and the Argentinian punk band Las Kellies. Like Parastrophics, WOW will see release on Modeselektor's Monkeytown Records."

http://www.monkeytownrecords.com

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=17485

Done in a few weeks??? What a funny concept- first an album to the extreme with 5 (!1111!!!!) years in the making and now this one……… great, looking forward to it.

The artwork is a bit meeh- was it made in a few minutes?

I quite think that, given that Parastrophics was 43 minutes and this new cd is 33 minutes, it should have been packaged as one. Seems like kind of a cash grab by the record label but I'm not sure.

Either way I'm sure it will be good.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=17485

"mini-album" means EP to me. I'm not upset about the length, just happy for new MOM stuff.

I like the artwork. Reminds me of those people that make illustrations out of sand on projectors, or a typography series I have seen with a similar concept. That might have been water and ink though.

still uncertain about what to think of that album. some of the tracks had nearly a radio-electronic sound..well most of the tracks (but than actually experimental if you catch my drift..).

i'd love to see them live, they're act looks awesome. (come to belgium doods)

(...) club-oriented counterpoint to Parastrophics," with excursions into acid and bass music among other styles." (...)

sounds good to me, but I don't trust promo texts these day (Clark's fault)

Maybe I spoke too harshly when I said I was disappointed in the length. I am thankful for it. I just like MOM's stuff so much that I get greedy. lol

Edit: just read that back to myself... doesn't sound right

• 2 months later...
Guest catharsis

How do you like your Custom Ones?! Which version do you have?

I typically roll with beyer DT880s or DT770s but I've been eyeing the Custom One's with great interest lately. Just wondering what your impressions are.

Oh yes, and looking forward to WOW.

I typically roll with beyer DT880s or DT770s but I've been eyeing the Custom One's with great interest lately. Just wondering what your impressions are.

There is only one version of the Custom Ones as far as I'm aware. These are my first mid-fi cans so I really have nothing to compare them to at the moment. They sound quite nice and I really like the bass adjustments. I was also eyeing the DT770s before making this purchase, but thought they might be lacking in bass without being driven by an amp. By all accounts if you're used to the DT880 or DT770 and are happy with them, the Custom Ones won't be an improvement unless you're looking for more bass. But if you're amping the ones you have, you're probably getting good bass already. I got these to listen to at work through my iPod or Mac so I didn't want to fuss with an amp.

Guest catharsis

There is only one version of the Custom Ones as far as I'm aware. These are my first mid-fi cans so I really have nothing to compare them to at the moment. They sound quite nice and I really like the bass adjustments. I was also eyeing the DT770s before making this purchase, but thought they might be lacking in bass without being driven by an amp. By all accounts if you're used to the DT880 or DT770 and are happy with them, the Custom Ones won't be an improvement unless you're looking for more bass. But if you're amping the ones you have, you're probably getting good bass already. I got these to listen to at work through my iPod or Mac so I didn't want to fuss with an amp.

OOOOHHH, I didn't realize you could adjust the bass on the fly! I thought you had to purchase 1 of 4 flavours depending upon your tastes. That's cool.

Correction to my earlier post. This is plunky, like a tricked out hybrid of iaora tahiti and varcharz, definitely needs more love from the MoM Imaginary Subforum massif. Also peep the-0.118 sec JB easter egg shrapnel around the 2:55 mark of CAN, whut.

Also, gotta love the related tag thread feature at the bottom of the page. At least JR is reasonably transparent about his relationship with warp.

• 3 weeks later...

yes my opinion this has changed considerably. I didn't like it at first. on a return listen I find it kind of disturbing that I haven' been listening to this... and Parastrophics more.

I should probably just delete everything else off of my computer.

Archived